Has AvPR improved wih age?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Mar 25, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

Author
Has AvPR improved wih age? (Read 81,137 times)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

I just watched AvPR last night again for the first time in ages.  I was trying to nail down exactly what I didn't like about it.  Long list.  But I was somehow not as offended by it as I was years ago.  Does anybody feel better about the film since some years have passed by?

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Absolutely....NOT!!  :P
This isn't like Predator or The Thing where the film was initially reviewed mixed or bad before, but loved by fans only for critics to realize their mistake, its not a cult film either  AVP-R is just plain old bad from the getgo, and still is, very few fans like film and for good reason. Its not wine, its water, it gets more staler with age. :laugh:

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

no

SpreadEagleBeagle

No.

Scree

Scree

Yes. I can still watch AVPR and have a great time. I love the Predalien. It's a mean and frightening looking monster and didn't lose any of it's greatness. Wolf is still the best Predator, ever. Coming to earth to clean up the Alien infestation and wiping out every human that comes in his way. Even Miss Yutani appears at the end which is really cool. So yes, this movie is getting better and better. The only Alien related movie I like less and less is Prometheus. What a worthless piece of trash. Please go away, Prometheus.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I haven't attempted to watch it for some years but the last time I did, I had to watch it in 3 sittings as I couldn't stomach it. I don't see how this train wreck could ever improve.  :-\

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Scree on Mar 26, 2015, 08:28:07 AM
Yes. I can still watch AVPR and have a great time. I love the Predalien. It's a mean and frightening looking monster and didn't lose any of it's greatness. Wolf is still the best Predator, ever. Coming to earth to clean up the Alien infestation and wiping out every human that comes in his way. Even Miss Yutani appears at the end which is really cool. So yes, this movie is getting better and better. The only Alien related movie I like less and less is Prometheus. What a worthless piece of trash. Please go away, Prometheus.

I see things completely the other way around.  Prometheus is one of the best films in the series if not all time...

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 26, 2015, 12:27:14 PM
I haven't attempted to watch it for some years but the last time I did, I had to watch it in 3 sittings as I couldn't stomach it. I don't see how this train wreck could ever improve.  :-\

I find the scene with the pregnant woman to be the most disturbing.  One of the worst scenes ever in any movie.  It literally ruins the film for me.  I like the Aliens series for the mystery of the unknown, not necessarily the horror aspects.  It was too much.

Nightmare Asylum

I watched it once - on TV - in 2010. I don't see myself ever watching it again, honestly.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Considering that my only DVD copy is in storage.. it's going to be a LOOONG while before I watch it. But I did watch it objectively a couple of months ago, and I can see why people don't like it. I enjoy it though.

The only Alien related movie I like less and less is Prometheus. What a worthless piece of trash. Please go away, Prometheus.

I could say the same thing about PREDATORS. And I've seen that movie five times, I've TRIED sitting through it a sixth time when it was on television but I just.. couldn't muster the incentive to tune into it and watch. Five viewings.. That's more than giving the movie a chance to grow on me, it hasn't.

Son Of Kane

Son Of Kane

This is the opposite of taste.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 27, 2015, 12:55:13 AM

This is the opposite of taste.

Finally something we agree on.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 27, 2015, 12:28:11 AM
I could say the same thing about PREDATORS. And I've seen that movie five times, I've TRIED sitting through it a sixth time when it was on television but I just.. couldn't muster the incentive to tune into it and watch. Five viewings.. That's more than giving the movie a chance to grow on me, it hasn't.

Every time I see you go on about your dislike for Predators I die a little inside. I love that film and it deserves very little of the flake it takes. It is a far better outing than either of the AvPs and Predator 2.

Sure, there are things I'd change (reduce it to one new Predator, rather than 3) and remove some of the homages (there are far less than people like to exaggerate) but as a film, it's far superior.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 26, 2015, 02:42:15 PM

I see things completely the other way around.  Prometheus is one of the best films in the series if not all time...

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 26, 2015, 12:27:14 PM

I find the scene with the pregnant woman to be the most disturbing.  One of the worst scenes ever in any movie.  It literally ruins the film for me.  I like the Aliens series for the mystery of the unknown, not necessarily the horror aspects.  It was too much.

I agree entirely.  The scene with the pregnant woman was vile, pointless, stupid, and a completely nonsensical addition to the Alien life cycle.  I can take alot of gore and grotsesque things, but something about that scene was just so phenomenally wrong and disgusting.  Strange sexuality has been a centerpiece of the Alien series since the beginning, but Giger's vision was always subtle, always hinting at a greater horror but never just throwing it right in our faces.  One thing that I really found bothersome about it was how it was handled; a scene like that you don't just throw into a popcorn action flick.  I will admit that the idea of being pregnant with a human fetus and having an Alien embryo inside of you is riddled with horror potential, but Requiem treated it in the most crass way possible.  I hadn't liked the film up till then but this scene sealed my disgust.

On answering the original question, no, the film does not improve with age.  It's a dark, muddy, offensive and poorly written mess that makes the first AVP film (which I actually like, though admit that it has noticeable flaws) look like Gone With The Wind and Resurrection look like Casablanca.  Even Predators, which, despite having seen twice, was pretty forgettable, is leaps and bounds beyond Requiem.  This film is just horrid in every single way and is easily the nadir of the entire AVP franchise.

Russ

Russ

I keep meaning to rewatch it; I've defended it in the past because I get what they were trying to do, but it poorly executed. I really must buy the Blu-Ray, I've read numerous times on here that it's a far better experience than the DVD because you can actually see what's going on.

Perfect-Organism

In a way, the Brothers Strausse accomplished what they set out to do, which is to completely abandon the logic of who "gets to die" in the film and just made it a slasher film with completely senseless underpinnings.  They sacrificed predictability, for mediocrity.  Anything goes, and anything went.

There was no point to the killing of the little boy at the beginning.  There was no sense to the killing of the delivery boy's new girlfriend.  Now the delivery boy (I still don't understand how he survived being stabbed through the heart, lol) who wins the girl against all odds is left with no girl.  Usually, people in these films sort of "have it coming".  The girl (shall we say) repented and yet she still got taken out.  This speaks of how mean-spirited the writers / directors were.  They saw this as an opportunity to show the maximum gore in an assumption that this is what fans enjoy and it turned out that fans were repelled.

And the film was so dark that it was next to impossible to see anything of what was happening.  Hmm do I go out and buy the Blu-ray?  Do I?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed