Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 21, 2015, 02:48:51 PM

Author
Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2 (Read 74,367 times)

predxeno

No, James Cameron made the best film, and regardless it doesn't give either permission to destroy continuity should things come to that.  I respect Neil Blomkamp because he is actually stating upfront that his movie takes place in a separate universe, I don't get why fans are pissed at this since apparently they have done the same with the AVP movies.  Ridley should have done this with Prometheus, tbh.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 05, 2015, 09:45:49 PM
No, James Cameron made the best film,

No, he made your favourite film.

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 05, 2015, 09:45:49 PMand regardless it doesn't give either permission to destroy continuity should things come to that.  I respect Neil Blomkamp because he is actually stating upfront

Seems you're getting up in arms to say that Scott and Cameron don't have the right to "destroy continuity" (when they never did), while commending Blomkamp for doing just that.

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 05, 2015, 09:45:49 PMthat his movie takes place in a separate universe

Gonna need a source for that info.

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 05, 2015, 09:45:49 PMI don't get why fans are pissed at this since apparently they have done the same with the AVP movies.

Who's pissed? I personally just think it's lazy storytelling. No way to know how it will come off 'til opening night.

As for AvP, nobody cares about those because they are effectively spinoff, beat-em-up movies for idiots.

predxeno

predxeno

James Cameron made the best movie because it grossed the most money, that's why Aliens is generally viewed as the best.  If you need a source to confirm that Alien 5 will take place in a separate universe then clearly you haven't been active on this site in awhile.  Separate universes aren't lazy storytelling if they make sure they don't contradict previous films, a number of people on this forum agree Prometheus would have been much better as its own standalone film.  As for the AVP films, a LOT of people were/are still pissed at the directors for them.

Mr. Clemens

If they're 'pissed', they're pissed because those movies are garbage on every level. And if box office gross = quality, McDonald's must be the best restaurant on earth.

Just please point me to a quote where Blomkamp says "my movie takes place in an alternate universe."

predxeno

I can point you to a variety of interviews with Blomkamp and Weaver that say they want to alter continuity and they can ALL be found in the News section.  Why don't you show me a quote that says he's not doing an alternate universe?

SiL

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 05, 2015, 10:15:22 PM
James Cameron made the best movie because it grossed the most money, that's why Aliens is generally viewed as the best.
Aliens didn't gross the most money by any means. If you account for inflation it's been pretty much downhill since Alien, and if you don't, then every film made more money than the last until AvP:R came along.

Yes, that's right: Alien Resurrection made more money than Aliens.

And AvP remains the second highest grossing of all of them. Behind Prometheus.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 05, 2015, 10:40:37 PM
I can point you to a variety of interviews with Blomkamp and Weaver that say they want to alter continuity and they can ALL be found in the News section.  Why don't you show me a quote that says he's not doing an alternate universe?

No, you're not getting off that easy. This 'alternate universe' stuff is your own mind making sense of it. I want you to link me to a quote where Blomkamp says he's taking the 'alternate universe' route, as opposed to the 'I'm just gonna ignore the sequels' or the 'it was all a dream' route.

predxeno

If you don't believe Alien 5 is an alternate universe then you're in the minority's both in stated facts and in community polls.  I've done enough backtracking in other arguments with little to no results to want to do it again.  If you really want a source then create a thread asking for one, a lot of people here will happily oblige.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 05, 2015, 10:52:20 PM
If you don't believe Alien 5 is an alternate universe then you're in the minority's both in stated facts and in community polls.

I don't 'believe' anything. I would simply like to see you back up these 'facts' of yours. You said earlier that Blomkamp stated upfront that his film will be in an alternate universe...

When? Where?

SiL

To be fair, ignoring A3 and Res pretty much means it's going to be an alternate timeline unless they make it a dream, but I doubt it.

Nightmare Asylum

And he has been pretty explicit in saying it's Alien, then Aliens, then his film.

People are clinging way too much to his mention that he's not trying to undo 3 and Res, which in the context he said it in came across as "I'm not doing my movie just to retcon the third and fourth films, I just want to follow up on Aliens the way I'd like to see the story go."

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 05, 2015, 11:02:43 PM
People are clinging way too much to his mention that he's not trying to undo 3 and Res, which in the context he said it in came across as "I'm not doing my movie just to retcon the third and fourth films, I just want to follow up on Aliens the way I'd like to see the story go."

I'm personally not clinging to anything - I've had nothing invested in the series, really, since the end credits of Alien 3. But at some point, Blomkamp is going to have to stand up and say 'yes, this is an alternate timeline', or 'no, I've thought of a way to work around 3 & 4'...

That's the quote I'm waiting for!  ;D

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SiL on Apr 05, 2015, 10:59:10 PM
To be fair, ignoring A3 and Res pretty much means it's going to be an alternate timeline unless they make it a dream, but I doubt it.

Exactly. Like how the Heisei Godzilla movies ignored everything from Godzilla Raids Again to Terror of Mecha-Godzilla, rendered all of that as an alternate timeline. If anything... all things Alien related might as well be looked at like that.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 05, 2015, 11:13:40 PM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 05, 2015, 10:59:10 PM

Exactly. Like how the Heisei Godzilla movies ignored everything from Godzilla Raids Again to Terror of Mecha-Godzilla, rendered all of that as an alternate timeline. If anything... all things Alien related might as well be looked at like that.

I kinda knew you'd come along with that stuff again. 'Godzilla'. 'Robocop'. You'd put these things on the same level as Alien? Might as well throw Scooby-Doo in there, too.  :P

Nightmare Asylum

"On the same level" is all a matter of opinion. Whatever your opinion of these other film series, the basis for such a partial retcon is hardly a new concept.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed