Dark Horse Fire and Stone Sequel On The Way?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 11, 2015, 09:22:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone Sequel On The Way? (Read 27,082 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Visceral_Mass on Mar 18, 2015, 01:55:31 PM
I really disliked Fire and Stone. It didn't feel like several connected stories. It was one long Prometheus story cut up into parts, guest staring Aliens and Predators, and a couple of those parts didn't fit the title they appeared in. They should have titled the books Prometheus: Aliens and Prometheus: Predator, etc...

I agree here. Aliens was definitely separate but Prometheus, AvP and Predator all felt like one long title.

But in general, an over-arching continuity makes a franchise feel more legitimate to me. That's my own opinion though. It doesn't help if its all tripe though. But done and managed right, a big continuity is fun.

predxeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 15, 2015, 11:30:19 AM
Yeah I noticed that, when will creators get that fans don't want any future Aliens/AVP/Predator stuff to be affiliated in any way to Requiem or even the AVP films in general. I think they used the same title style for the AVP issue.

Personally, I'd take the AVP films over Prometheus any day of the week; at least they tried to be Alien and Predator-related, I have a strong feeling that Prometheus is only using Alien as a launching platform before discarding it entirely comparable to the boosters a space shuttle uses to leave Earth and then discards upon entering the atmosphere.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 22, 2015, 02:14:56 AM
Personally, I'd take the AVP films over Prometheus any day of the week; at least they tried to be Alien and Predator-related, I have a strong feeling that Prometheus is only using Alien as a launching platform before discarding it entirely comparable to the boosters a space shuttle uses to leave Earth and then discards upon entering the atmosphere.

I'll drink to that!

Lonely Universe

Probably true, recent statements have alluded to P2 diverging even further away.

Nightmare Asylum

Prometheus splitting off and moving farther away from the Alien series would be best for both series, in my opinion.

predxeno

predxeno

It depends how much further, if Prometheus 2 ignores the concept of Aliens and even Engineers as Ridley Scott has implied in recent interviews then what is there to connect Prometheus with the AVP universe? There's a difference between expanding a universe with a spinoff and shoehorning random, non-contradicting stories in just to make a quick buck.  We can technically shoehorn Pride and Prejudice in with Predator but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Son Of Kane

I think it's actually (generally speaking) a really good idea to give the universe some cultural and human depth other than the Alien/Predator films.

Quarax

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 22, 2015, 06:32:45 PM
We can technically shoehorn Pride and Prejudice in with Predator but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Lonely Universe

I just read F&S in it's entirety. Not bad.

Aliens was the most enjoyable read, while I found Prometheus & AvP to have the best art. Prometheus in particular had an interesting way of handling the goo-born wildlife on 223. I especially liked the 'sharks', which looked pretty terrifying.

Predator wasn't bad, but felt very 90's & Galgo's personality caused a shift in tone to something more comical & action oriented.

Prometheus F&S Omega had some great art too but I felt kinda disappointed with the outcome of the story. So the living mountain was supposed to be what had become of the squid-burster? It clearly showed that thing die in the Prometheus film after implanting the Engineer.

This series didn't really play it safe with canon. The next movie is likely to contradict everything they established. Speaking of which, I think I'll be giving Aliens Apocalypse: The Destroying Angels another read soon now that I have all of the Omnibus volumes.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I still have no idea where the ecosystem was even meant to have come from. The ooze doesn't create organic matter, it just rewrites/mutates it. I have a feeling the writers assumed it did.

Still don't understand how Elden got changed, either. There are contradictory references to exactly what a 'construct' is and it's not at all clear they aren't one and the same as synthetics. They even call those crash dummy-like things 'constructs', which were clearly machines and Elden says, "I'm not the dumb robot anymore."

As for the mountain, that was severely anti-climactic. They just hand-waved a big mystery in front of the reader and never bothered to explain it. Even the signal, of apparent human origin, just seemed to be put in there for the heck of it.

Lonely Universe

David also wasn't affected by touching the black goo in the film.

I'm just gonna guess it seeped into the ground deep enough to find some dormant seeds or mixed with Earth-born bacteria from the Prometheus crash.

Was it ever confirmed that those earthworms on 223 where indigenous? I'd have to assume there are plenty of organics for them to feed off of if so.

The story is pretty silly when you take Elden into account. I did like his character but it doesn't seem like a synth should be affected & there's a whole lot of movie monster mash up hooey going on. I enjoyed F&S but would have preferred them keep all of the franchises separate.

Xenomorphine

Even if we presuppose there was some kind of ancient and dormant life for it to ignite (which the story in no way suggests), that doesn't explain how the heck so much water suddenly appeared. :)

Of course, this is the same logic which appears to think cancer = super-muscles. :-\

Lonely Universe

Ha! Right. It's such a repeat of William Birkin from Resident Evil 2 or a Jekyll/Hyde type thing. Mad scientist injects himself with some crap, becomes muscle bound monster. We already have our monsters in this series & don't need any more!

I gotta admit I did like that big dumb oaf-ish Predator with all the mouth fingers though. He's kinda cute really.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 23, 2015, 06:23:13 AM
Even if we presuppose there was some kind of ancient and dormant life for it to ignite (which the story in no way suggests), that doesn't explain how the heck so much water suddenly appeared. :)

Of course, this is the same logic which appears to think cancer = super-muscles. :-\

Could it have been the storm?

The Prometheus crew seemed to trigger a storm on the planet when they changed the Atmosphere in the Ampule room, is it possible that- that actually did terraform the planet?

Corporal Hicks

I got from the very start of the series that Elden was supposed to be something other than an android from the term construct. However, I think it could have been said somewhat more blatantly. There's a lot of the feel of Prometheus in this - ambiguity in the story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed