Dark Horse Fire and Stone Sequel On The Way?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 11, 2015, 09:22:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone Sequel On The Way? (Read 27,059 times)

Corporal Hicks

Dark Horse has just finished its recent run of Aliens, Predator, Prometheus and Aliens vs Predator Fire and Stone comics. Largely it seems to have sold quite well and been received well by comic critics – with fans it’s been a little bit more mixed.

Randy Stradley, as we should all know as the man responsible for the very first Aliens vs Predator comic, was asked about what was next for Dark Horse now that Fire and Stone had finished its run. He responded with: “We’re working on the next wave. The newly announced Neill Blomkamp film caused a restart.”

Curiously, Tim Lebbon, the author of the upcoming Rage War novel trilogy also commented on the need to go and change some aspects of the first novel of the series, Predator: Incursion, due to Neill Blomkamp’s upcoming Alien 5.

Considering the will-he-wont-he of whether or not Alien 5 will acknowledge of Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection, the implication that these post Alien 3 (post Resurrection in the case of Rage Wars) could be that Alien 5 will not be a straight retcon as has been theorized. Thanks to Ultramorph for the news.

STK659289

Bender

Bender

| "Considering the will-he-wont-he of whether or not Alien 5 will acknowledge of Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection, the implication that these post Alien 3 (post Resurrection in the case of Rage Wars) could be that Alien 5 will not be a straight retcon as has been theorized." |

I have to admit I am pretty confusted by now wether the new Alien going to be a retcon or not. Excluding Ripley 8 being in the new film but stating on the other side that it won't "undo" the last two films makes me skeptical. There are not that many roads the new film can follow to bring the original Ripley AND Hicks back.

I have'nt read the comics yet, but I liked the last three novels by Titan very much. I hope these upcoming novls and comic books won't contain too many elements that could turn out as "wrong" by the time Blomkamp's movie comes out.
Although the incident of the USS Auriga was mentioned in Seas of Sorrows as "terrorists crashing a ship on earth", I think this could be explained as just random terrorism in future books, rather than a group of pirates and a clone of Ellen Ripley, if that makes sense... (I'm just trying to sort out my own canon, I guess.)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bender on Mar 11, 2015, 12:35:07 PM
I have to admit I am pretty confusted by now wether the new Alien going to be a retcon or not. Excluding Ripley 8 being in the new film but stating on the other side that it won't "undo" the last two films makes me skeptical. There are not that many roads the new film can follow to bring the original Ripley AND Hicks back.

Tell me about it! I can't wait to get some actual synopsis. xD

Xenomorphine

The art was pretty, but the horrendous stories we received with this run do not fill me with hope.

Necro

Necro

Fire and Stone was amazing. Can't wait for a sequel! Stories were solid and exciting.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 11, 2015, 01:26:43 PM
The art was pretty, but the horrendous stories we received with this run do not fill me with hope.

I wouldn't use horrendous to describe it. I don't feel it packed the punch it wanted to, but I wouldn't call it horrendous at all.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 11, 2015, 12:37:48 PM
Tell me about it! I can't wait to get some actual synopsis. xD

I couldn't agree more. I'm so hungry for new information on any of the upcoming projects. I'm hoping that Titan at least officially announces Rage War soon. I want to know the broad strokes of what they have planned. Hopefully it involves the Arcturians, or maybe even going back to LV-223.

I get why people are upset about the changes being made, but for me at least, this is looking like a pretty good time to be a fan.  :)

On the Blomkamp side of things, these recent developments at Titan and Dark Horse make me wonder if we will indeed be getting an "interquel" set between the second and third films.

Visceral_Mass

For me the problem with the Fire and Stone series was its overuse of Prometheus elements in EVERY title. So much so, that I think the Alien and AVP series suffered because of it. I'd be happy if they just let it slip away, the way they let the last attempted reboot slip away.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I had no problem with the 'Prometheus' stuff being included, but the liberties taken with the Hadley's Hope colonists were very lazy, there was very little in the way of actual Alien/Predator confrontation after the creative team criticised that as a flaw in previous stories and Elden was... A poor walking plot-device.

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 11, 2015, 09:37:40 PM
I had no problem with the 'Prometheus' stuff being included, but the liberties taken with the Hadley's Hope colonists were very lazy, there was very little in the way of actual Alien/Predator confrontation after the creative team criticised that as as a flaw in previous stories and Elden was... A poor walking plot-device.

Wasn't it the Prometheus stuff that essentially created the poor walking plot device, which by extension made the AvP action take a back seat in its own title and which reduced the Aliens to little more than a minor threat in their own title?

OpenMaw

Ugh... They used the Requiem xenos for that artwork... Excuse me while I throw up.

The Cruentus

Yeah I noticed that, when will creators get that fans don't want any future Aliens/AVP/Predator stuff to be affiliated in any way to Requiem or even the AVP films in general. I think they used the same title style for the AVP issue.

Lonely Universe

I hope they just go back to the self contained storytelling of the 90's. I just want my traditional Alien minis, like what they recently did with Inhuman Condition & Fast Track To Heaven. Just give me a proven author & a great artist & tell me a good story I can take in as a singular whole. I don't need ties to every film & game & novel complicating things & needing a retcon after every damn movie Fox releases.

Corporal Hicks

I'd really missed that over-arcing feel from the earlier comics. I like my universe to be expansive and connected, where anything can matter. It's not really something we got aside from the original 4 stories and I missed it. I missed it in Dark Horse Press' Aliens novel run and I'd liked it during their attempted relaunch in 09.

It was one of the aspects of Fire and Stone I liked and something I would like to see going forward. Not that I'd be adverse to stand-alones, I just want them properly managed and to have an impact somewhere in the grand scheme of things.

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 18, 2015, 08:35:15 AM
I'd really missed that over-arcing feel from the earlier comics. I like my universe to be expansive and connected, where anything can matter. It's not really something we got aside from the original 4 stories and I missed it. I missed it in Dark Horse Press' Aliens novel run and I'd liked it during their attempted relaunch in 09.

It was one of the aspects of Fire and Stone I liked and something I would like to see going forward. Not that I'd be adverse to stand-alones, I just want them properly managed and to have an impact somewhere in the grand scheme of things.

I'm with EarthAngel on this. I don't like the idea that everything must be connected in some way.

At some point, a connected world becomes too "populated" and starts leaving more questions than answers.

I'm fine with it if it makes sense for the narrative, but I don't think the writers should have to tie it all together at the expense of a better story.

I really disliked Fire and Stone. It didn't feel like several connected stories. It was one long Prometheus story cut up into parts, guest staring Aliens and Predators, and a couple of those parts didn't fit the title they appeared in. They should have titled the books Prometheus: Aliens and Prometheus: Predator, etc...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed