Neill Blomkamp: Alien3 & Resurrection "Went Off The Rails"

Started by Tough little S.O.B., Mar 02, 2015, 05:41:34 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: Alien3 & Resurrection "Went Off The Rails" (Read 80,210 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Gash on Mar 19, 2015, 04:34:29 PM
I always thought Alien 3 steered it back on to the rails. Not wholly successfully for sure, it all gets a bit unfocused after Clemens and Andrews are dispatched, but it had far more interesting ideas than it's predecessor.  A L I E N  and Alien 3 aren't really popcorn movies, whereas the other two sot of are. Although Resurrection is just too dire and silly to get any pleasure from. Maybe Alien 3 is too bleak to actually enjoy as such, but it's not stupid.  A L I E N  remains the only one that is actually a scary horror movie, and I think it unlikely that Alien 5 will manage to be as terrifying, I just can't see it taking that route.

Nailed it!

DoomRulz

Quote from: Gash on Mar 19, 2015, 04:34:29 PM
I always thought Alien 3 steered it back on to the rails. Not wholly successfully for sure, it all gets a bit unfocused after Clemens and Andrews are dispatched, but it had far more interesting ideas than it's predecessor.  A L I E N  and Alien 3 aren't really popcorn movies, whereas the other two sort of are. Although Resurrection is just too dire and silly to get any pleasure from. Maybe Alien 3 is too bleak to actually enjoy as such, but it's not stupid.  A L I E N  remains the only one that is actually a scary horror movie, and I think it unlikely that Alien 5 will manage to be as terrifying, I just can't see it taking that route.

I don't see why Alien 5 can't replicate the tension of the first film. I realize the last bunch of Alien outings have been lackluster, but let's not write it off yet before we know what's going on.

Tough little S.O.B.

Im afraid Blomkampt just wants to make his own version of ALIENS.

OpenMaw

He has said that both seeing Alien on the big screen and playing Alien Isolation had him reevaluating his intentions.

hfeldhaus

It seems to me that he doesn't have a clue what he wants. After watching Chappie I'm not surprised.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Mar 20, 2015, 04:27:25 PM
It seems to me that he doesn't have a clue what he wants.

It is very likely be that it's still early days yet and he can't say anything more than he already has. It's the media making everything seem so confusing, anyways. Blomkamp was pretty clear about his film directly following on from Aliens, while his comment about 3 and Res came off as him simply being respectful of the filmmakers and the fans.

Born Of Cold Light

Isn't the reason why Sigourney Weaver is part of the cast is because she was blown away by the script?  I think Blomkamp has a very clear idea of what he wants, it's just that he's keeping people in the dark for now.

Nightmare Asylum

We don't know if there's a script yet (I'm inclined to think that there is, or at least a draft), and yeah, his ideas impressed Sigourney and convinced her to take on this installment in the series after passing on many others (namely the old "Alien 5 on Earth" story pitches).

OpenMaw

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 20, 2015, 06:36:26 PM
Isn't the reason why Sigourney Weaver is part of the cast is because she was blown away by the script?  I think Blomkamp has a very clear idea of what he wants, it's just that he's keeping people in the dark for now.

The pitch would be the more accurate term. I doubt Blomkamp has even a first draft screenplay yet. He could have a treatment ready by this point. Though all of that really depends on how much time he has had lately to work on it.

Nightmare Asylum

Well, if the film is indeed about to enter pre-production there would be a script. But until Fox officially says something we really have no clue.

OpenMaw

More or less. It can depend on the production, of course, but pre-production generally includes getting the script past the treatment/spec-script phase and usually takes a few months to get it ready for shooting. EX of this going wrong of course: Alien 3 took too long in pre-production and just hit their production schedule with a chaotic script situation.

At this point, from what little Blomkamp has said is everything seems to be line up for shooting to start later in the year if things go smoothly. Hopefully, they don't muddy the waters and have a dozen goddamn writers try and "fix" things.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 20, 2015, 06:41:28 PMThe pitch would be the more accurate term. I doubt Blomkamp has even a first draft screenplay yet. He could have a treatment ready by this point.

This is the impression I'm getting. Especially given how he's said the film changed when he spoke to Weaver.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 20, 2015, 04:39:28 PM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Mar 20, 2015, 04:27:25 PM
It seems to me that he doesn't have a clue what he wants.

It is very likely be that it's still early days yet and he can't say anything more than he already has. It's the media making everything seem so confusing, anyways. Blomkamp was pretty clear about his film directly following on from Aliens, while his comment about 3 and Res came off as him simply being respectful of the filmmakers and the fans.

This film will likely suffer a number of leaks given its importance. I wouldn't be surprised if the script gets out, to be honest.

Gilfryd

A3 went off the rails for me in the sense that it was almost a subtraction of what Aliens did by expanding the scope of the mythos, at least the human side of things with the colonists and marines. 3 should have gone the other way by going (or at least hinting heavily) with the Aliens' origins. This is definitely a reflection of what I would've wanted to see but it should have been more of an adventure with Ripley and co after the Jockeys, instead of Ripley (and Ripley alone) surrounded by a bunch of bald rapists on another lonely human outpost.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gilfryd on Mar 24, 2015, 07:26:29 AMA3 went off the rails for me in the sense that it was almost a subtraction of what Aliens did by expanding the scope of the mythos, at least the human side of things with the colonists and marines.

Of course Alien 3 expanded the mythos. It gave us the whole concept of convicts being shot out into space and left to rot. That's a pretty significant and powerful image. The way future society deals with its undesirables.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed