Planets, landscapes and environments for the new Alien movie?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Feb 27, 2015, 11:44:57 PM

Author
Planets, landscapes and environments for the new Alien movie? (Read 10,564 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Where's that thing's spinoff movie?

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 28, 2015, 12:43:00 PM
Where's that thing's spinoff movie?
Aliens: Taste: The Movie 3D

Fund it, Fox.

Nightmare Asylum

Smell-O-Vision available at select theaters.

Nightmare Asylum

Aliens :P It's the Gateway Station Ripley is held on after she is picked up by WY.

T Dog

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 28, 2015, 04:04:28 PM
Aliens :P It's the Gateway Station Ripley is held on after she is picked up by WY.

It's been a while.....I could spot Hadley's Hope a mile away but not this too much.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Some interesting pictures that I found on the web :

The Cyberpunk city

Alien ice world

Mass Effect Noveria

This concept art is from "Star Wars: The Old Republic". The thought of having a terraformed environment in a frozen world seems great.

Some kind of asteroid or moon

Floating Mountains (avatar style) in an arid landscape.

Another futuristic landscape, though I doubt it fits with the Alien franchise. But looks great anyway.

Call me crazy, but I like the idea of seeing a city on the ocean, or under the water, why not? (Ahto City, planet Manaan from "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic")

This seems like a crossover between Alien and The Thing

The decaying vegetation can also become "Gigerseque" or Xeno-like

Ilos from Mass Effect has a similar landscape

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Feb 28, 2015, 05:28:25 PM

The Cyberpunk city

Alien ice world

Mass Effect Noveria

This concept art is from "Star Wars: The Old Republic". The thought of having a terraformed environment in a frozen world seems great.

Another futuristic landscape, though I doubt it fits with the Alien franchise. But looks great anyway.

Call me crazy, but I like the idea of seeing a city on the ocean, or under the water, why not? (Ahto City, planet Manaan from "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic")

No offense but those are all terrible 2011 nerdbait landscapes that don't seem at all compatible within Alien.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 01, 2015, 03:16:12 AM
Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Feb 28, 2015, 05:28:25 PM

The Cyberpunk city

Alien ice world

Mass Effect Noveria

No offense but those are all terrible 2011 nerdbait landscapes that don't seem at all compatible within Alien.

Although all are Hollywood sci-fi monster films, Alien films are very different from one another, in tone and style, as they have been made by different filmmakers. So, I disagree.

RakaiThwei

Those make for great wallpapers though!  :P

Born Of Cold Light

NetworkATTH

A vibe I would go after with anything post-Aliens. But I'm assuming they'll distance themselves from the low-tec aspects of everything, and all the work that was inspired by Alien itself in science fiction. Honestly, if I was in charge (and I'm not), I would just devote so much of it to all Alien inspired aesthetically. I'm sure knowing Neil, that will happen, none of his films avoided science grit, but I'm just hoping they keep this downbeat future Alien had going, and not just give up to holographic screens and impossibly large objects when that's so inappropriate to everything Alien has always been about. And I'm not one to usually go so melodramatic, but I just hope they don't fall for the scale of everything and instead focus on how restrictive every environment in the Alien saga has always been.

whiterabbit

What's wrong with setting alien 5 on a rock with dicks and vaginas?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 01, 2015, 07:26:30 AM

http://41.media.tumblr.com/5342d2d5c547c841ad597cddfcb3c2cd/tumblr_nkf34f62Ya1qhrm3lo1_500.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/4423bab401d0220fca7f70c8642cbbd7/tumblr_inline_nkg7b2Xltw1qzj1dd.jpg

http://33.media.tumblr.com/9c761fa6a0f396c3b93660560cd76cca/tumblr_nkdecumlyf1qhrm3lo1_500.gif

A vibe I would go after with anything post-Aliens. But I'm assuming they'll distance themselves from the low-tec aspects of everything, and all the work that was inspired by Alien itself in science fiction. Honestly, if I was in charge (and I'm not), I would just devote so much of it to all Alien inspired aesthetically. I'm sure knowing Neil, that will happen, none of his films avoided science grit, but I'm just hoping they keep this downbeat future Alien had going, and not just give up to holographic screens and impossibly large objects when that's so inappropriate to everything Alien has always been about. And I'm not one to usually go so melodramatic, but I just hope they don't fall for the scale of everything and instead focus on how restrictive every environment in the Alien saga has always been.

Yes, I understand. The dystopian Future with retro technology. (In other words the opposite of what was Prometheus  :D). There are other movies with that kind of background, like "Outland" or the British TV series "Space 1999". Even I am thinking of the original Star Wars trilogy.

But from what I can see in the concept art, the new director has other very different plans with a concept that is closer to the paradigm of today (in science fiction). Although I could be wrong, since the director claims to be a big fan of the first two films, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. 

Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 01, 2015, 08:55:11 AM
What's wrong with setting alien 5 on a rock with dicks and vaginas?

I guess there is nothing wrong, but that's more Giger style. Gutalin could do something about it, but I doubt that is part of the staff of the new movie. We will have to wait for Prometheus 2 (assuming that will happen).

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 01, 2015, 04:29:35 AM

great find!

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 01, 2015, 04:21:04 AM
Those make for great wallpapers though!  :P

absolutely  :D

Nightmare Asylum

Let's get some Syd Mead up here!

Not necessarily as final designs, but as potential starting points that can be de/reconstructed in order to better suit the needs of an Alien film. Blade Runner is similar to Alien in many ways, and could be a great starting point for developing an Earth (or other planet, for that matter) city for this film, should we get to see one. And the Elysium ring reminds me quite a bit of the artificial habitat in the concept art. Something sleek and clean like that, but ultimately broken down and ravaged by the Aliens, could make for a striking visual, so long as the actual design work/tech can be retrofitted to look at home in this universe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed