"You Are One Ugly Motherfu…" - Wishlist Alien vs. Predator 3

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 09:50:08 AM

Author
"You Are One Ugly Motherfu…" - Wishlist Alien vs. Predator 3 (Read 28,845 times)

happypred

happypred

I think purposefully handicapping the predators is a no-go as well. By all means, give the aliens an environmental advantage in the cramped interior of a spaceship or whatnot...but they should have acid-proof gear and shoulder cannons, unlike in Anderson's AvP

SiL

SiL

Worked in the context of a rite-of-passage.

Wolf going in without acid-proof armour or ranged weapons would've ... okay, it wouldn't have been the dumbest thing in the movie, but it would've been top five, easily.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Mar 04, 2015, 09:23:51 AM

Wolf going in without acid-proof armour or ranged weapons would've ... okay, it wouldn't have been the dumbest thing in the movie, but it would've been top five, easily.

Worked better when he didn't know what he was getting into.

Quote from: happypred on Mar 04, 2015, 09:15:53 AM
I think purposefully handicapping the predators is a no-go as well. By all means, give the aliens an environmental advantage in the cramped interior of a spaceship or whatnot...but they should have acid-proof gear and shoulder cannons, unlike in Anderson's AvP

I'd say acid resistant, rather than proof. You take away the danger of their acid blood and you take away one of their biggest advantages.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 04, 2015, 10:10:54 AM
Quote from: happypred on Mar 04, 2015, 09:15:53 AM

I'd say acid resistant, rather than proof. You take away the danger of their acid blood and you take away one of their biggest advantages.

I think acid-proof is fine. As far as I know, the predators don't wear full body armour.

Predators aren't immune to alien acid. There's plenty of exposed flesh

Even if the predators do wear full body armour, the aliens inner jaws or tail should still be able to punch through it.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 04, 2015, 09:23:51 AM

The logic in AvP is really. Only some items are vulnerable to acid. The spear, shuriken, and dagger seem to be completely acid-proof. Furthermore, all three youths are supposed to start out with shoulder cannons...which begs the question...were they really going to use wrist blades?

...and what's the point of armour if it's just going to melt or get pierced? Armour has to defend against at least one of those forms of damage. 

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: happypred on Mar 04, 2015, 03:12:30 PM
I think acid-proof is fine. As far as I know, the predators don't wear full body armour.

Depends. I'm pretty sure the Predators all sport full body armor in the first AVP comic. I know Broken Tusk is covered completely on the chest (with a nice alien head/face right on the center to tell you how badass he is.)

happypred

happypred

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 04, 2015, 04:24:22 PM
Quote from: happypred on Mar 04, 2015, 03:12:30 PM

Depends. I'm pretty sure the Predators all sport full body armor in the first AVP comic. I know Broken Tusk is covered completely on the chest (with a nice alien head/face right on the center to tell you how badass he is.)

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140113053116/avp/images/f/ff/2232283-broken_tusk_victory.jpg

There's still quit a bit of flesh exposed.

Also, I think Broken Tusk avoids acid splash by using a glaive . It has pretty long reach. I'm also pretty sure acid splash isn't as great when you're stabbing and cutting aliens with a blade, as opposed to lighting them up with explosive bullets

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

The AVP brand is the low-brow shits&giggles popcorn fest crossover franchise bastard kid of Alien(s) and Predator(s), and in that scope I'm saying: Just give people what they want!

There is no need or room for originality, fresh ideas, strict continuity etc.

Jungle colony in space, gung ho colonial marines, praetorians and predaliens, cool guns, exo suits, demi-god Predators, Bishop android(s) and a big explosion in the end.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 05, 2015, 09:49:00 PM
The AVP brand is the low-brow shits&giggles popcorn fest crossover franchise bastard kid of Alien(s) and Predator(s), and in that scope I'm saying: Just give people what they want!

There is no need or room for originality, fresh ideas, strict continuity etc.

Jungle colony in space, gung ho colonial marines, praetorians and predaliens, cool guns, exo suits, demi-god Predators, Bishop android(s) and a big explosion in the end.

Indeed. Again, Freddy Vs Jason really is the best template for how this sort of crossover should be done. Well executed, but doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is. That was a key point of frustration for me with the first AvP. It starts off for a good hour trying to be some big adventure type of story, and then the moment the predators and aliens meet it becomes schlocky as Hell.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 03:48:49 AMAgain, Freddy Vs Jason really is the best template for how this sort of crossover should be done.

Please no...AvP could be so much more than that. AvP doesn't have to be silly, it doesn't have to be a B-movie. Of course you could make it really campy...but I believe a really decent film could be made with the right director, writer, and actors

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: happypred on Mar 06, 2015, 07:35:19 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 03:48:49 AMAgain, Freddy Vs Jason really is the best template for how this sort of crossover should be done.

Please no...AvP could be so much more than that. AvP doesn't have to be silly, it doesn't have to be a B-movie. Of course you could make it really campy...but I believe a really decent film could be made with the right director, writer, and actors

AvP isn't some deep thing. It's peanut butter meets chocolate. It's straight up the exploitation of a water cooler "what if" idea. Just saying following in the steps of FvsJ does not equal camp. It just means don't bullshit the audience with anything pretentious. We're here to see Predators and Aliens fight. Both AvsP films frankly failed to deliver on that point with the exception of Grid Vs Celtic. If anything when I say the franchise should follow this route i'm really thinking of SiL's take. It doesn't overly burden the story with characterisation. It keeps things simple and straight forward. It's about the Predators hunting aliens, and the humans being caught in the middle. No ancient pyramids, no overly long back story setups, no stupid teengers.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 08:57:52 AM
Quote from: happypred on Mar 06, 2015, 07:35:19 AM

AvP isn't some deep thing. It's peanut butter meets chocolate. It's straight up the exploitation of a water cooler "what if" idea. Just saying following in the steps of FvsJ does not equal camp. It just means don't bullshit the audience with anything pretentious. We're here to see Predators and Aliens fight. Both AvsP films frankly failed to deliver on that point with the exception of Grid Vs Celtic. If anything when I say the franchise should follow this route i'm really thinking of SiL's take. It doesn't overly burden the story with characterisation. It keeps things simple and straight forward. It's about the Predators hunting aliens, and the humans being caught in the middle. No ancient pyramids, no overly long back story setups, no stupid teengers.

Funny but oh so true.

happypred

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 08:57:52 AMAvP isn't some deep thing. It's peanut butter meets chocolate. It's straight up the exploitation of a water cooler "what if" idea.

It doesn't have to deep, philosophical, cerebral or whatever...but it should be intelligent and mature. That's not asking for a lot. There's nothing innately silly or childish about the AvP concept.

The "intelligence" and "maturity"of a movie depends a lot on the intelligence and maturity of the human characters and on how they handle a desperate situation. In that regard, yes...an AvP film doesn't have to be deep, but it sure would benefit from being smart and not silly and laughable

Quotefrankly failed to deliver on that point with the exception of Grid Vs Celtic

That was a terrible fight...and I'm not talking about the outcome. I'm talking about the wrestling and the posing and the swinging of Grid by its tail. AvP fights shouldn't resemble WWE wrestling matches

OpenMaw

Quote from: happypred on Mar 09, 2015, 04:15:30 AM
It doesn't have to deep, philosophical, cerebral or whatever...but it should be intelligent and mature. That's not asking for a lot.

I don't know why you're arguing with me. That's exactly what I said.

Quote from: happypred on Mar 09, 2015, 04:15:30 AM
That was a terrible fight...and I'm not talking about the outcome. I'm talking about the wrestling and the posing and the swinging of Grid by its tail. AvP fights shouldn't resemble WWE wrestling matches

You completely missed me point. I wasn't referring to the minutiae of the fight. It is the one and only time in the two movies where we see the Alien and Predator engage in a prolonged fight where both creatures utilise their various abilities.

Corporal Hicks

It should have been brutal and primal. The fights are something they really need to work on and be careful with going forward.

Born Of Cold Light

One alien, based on the Big Chap design.
One predator, based on the original design.
Predator should have no projectile weapons, or at least have them disabled at the beginning of the film.  Wrist blades, knives, and thrusting/dueling spears only.
Humans that are not heavily armed but are competent and memorable.
Gory but done in a manner that evokes horror and is not cheap like what we saw in Requiem.
No human-predator team-ups.
Horror feel of the first Alien film mixed with the filthy, animalistic feel of the first Predator.  Maybe it could be set on some weird, Beksinski-esque lifeless world that oozes hopelessness:

This film should just be called Alien/Predator, no 'vs.'

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed