Gender Identity (Transgenderism)

Started by Predator Queen, Feb 22, 2015, 09:26:50 AM

Author
Gender Identity (Transgenderism) (Read 7,918 times)

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

I have noticed in the last couple months transgenderism has become hot discussion topic. Everyone is starting to voice there opinions on whether its a serious form of identity, faze, fad or even a mental disability.
For those who don't know what transgender means, it means one whose gender identity is different from the gender assigned at birth. Transgender is also an umbrella term that includes non-binary transgender folks.
What are you thoughts? Do you believe its a legitimate form of identity or something else? Do you identify as transgender or know anyone who does? Thoughts on Genderqueer/Non binary? Pronouns?

All views and thoughts are welcome but please no hate speech. 

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I think it's totally valid, but I'm a bit more literal with the term. I like to draw the distinction between sex and gender; the latter being biological, the former being sociological. I've seen transsexuals in my life and while I admit that I find it odd, I shrug and move on. It doesn't bother me.

If we're talking about people who are genuinely confused for whatever reason, I always think back to South Park's "Cissy" episode. Seen that one? It deals with this very idea. I think kids should be spoken with by a professional to ensure that it's not just a phase they're going through. If they're genuinely confused, then parents should be guiding them to whatever the best outcome is.

KirklandSignature

Having a penis doesn't make you a man. Both literally and figuratively. That seems to be the progressive stance. I do think that there is some degree of minor mental issue going on if who you are inside doesn't match what got going on outside. 

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'm old-school in my definition of sex. If you have certain reproductive organs, then you are whatever they make up, i.e. penis=man, vagina=woman.

KirklandSignature

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 23, 2015, 07:44:39 PM
I'm old-school in my definition of sex. If you have certain reproductive organs, then you are whatever they make up, i.e. penis=man, vagina=woman.

Same here. I do accept those in transition though seeing one in real life would be sort of weird. Some MTF's are virtually indistinguishable from biological women. There seem to be more sloppy ones though as not everyone can afford the hormone treatments and gender reassignment.

whiterabbit

There has always been transgender people however most that I know personally came from abusive homes. Now if it was the abuse that made them transgender or they where abused because they were transgender is what I don't know. I do know women who are not gay but after years of abuse have literally said f**k it and went gay because it is better than being not gay. At the same time a lot of transgender people I know are on strong anti-psychotics and, to me, clearly have "problems". Again though, is this societies doing or is something physically, mentally wrong with them, I do not know.

However it never bothered me. We had many transgender people at school and in the community. It wasn't something out of the ordinary.

Doktor Wunderbar

Based on my (entirely casual) reading of the published literature, I think it's safe to say that there are physiological differences in the brains of transgendered people - that is to say, it's deeper than what we'd call a mere psychological disorder.  Given the early onset of this condition in some cases, I'd speculate that it begins in utero.  It's also very apparent that people suffering from gender dysphoria really do suffer, so I'm not inclined to be dismissive of the matter.

That said, I'm a scientist and I adhere to the scientific definitions of male and female - the production of sperm or ova, respectively, or in special cases, the presence of sex-linked phenotypes specific to production of one gamete or the other.  I'll use whatever pronoun someone asks me to use, but I'm not going to dismiss biological sex in favor of gender identity.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Doktor Wunderbar on Feb 23, 2015, 11:28:30 PMI'll use whatever pronoun someone asks me to use, but I'm not going to dismiss biological sex in favor of gender identity.

I'd be rather appalled if you were asked to. As Doom said, sex = biological, gender = mental. I am a man, physically speaking, and I feel as comfortable with that as straight people do with attraction to females. imagine if your body was geared towards sex with women but you felt no sexual attraction to women. your body says X, but you just can't feel right about X, everything points to Y.

That's like being trans. Your body says X, your mind says Y. In essense, you are both X and Y at the same time.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I feel like a certain someone should be commenting here, lol. Anyway, Tumblrettes aside, as long as these people aren't affecting my life, I say live and let live. I don't care what sex or gender you are, as long as you aren't hurting other people.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 23, 2015, 10:21:16 PM
There has always been transgender people however most that I know personally came from abusive homes. Now if it was the abuse that made them transgender or they where abused because they were transgender is what I don't know.

I would imagine the abuse is a result of them being transgender. I don't see how abuse could lead to them being transgender.

The PredBen

Have any of you heard of autogynephilia? Its where a man tends to be sexually aroused by thoughts of imagining himself as a woman. The term was created by Ray Blanchard to describe men who were both heterosexual and transsexual. However, some simply consider autogynephilia to be some type of transsexual fetishism.

evolution_rex

evolution_rex

My brother is gay and has many friends in this crowd, I've encountered many people who are transgender. And I don't get any hostility towards the concept. Here's my opinion on it all;

Clothes and looks are nothing more than clothes and looks. Women dress the way they do because society tells them that's the way women dress. Men dress the way they do for the same reason. It's all rather pointless. So crossdressing (which I understand is not the same thing as being transgender) is just absolutely fine. There isn't anything wrong with wanting to dress the same way women dress. There isn't anything wrong with taking hormones and getting surgery to make yourself look different. It it makes you happy then that's what's important. People say it's disgusting and whatever, and I don't get it. What is wrong with wanting to look like the opposite gender?

But here is where things get iffy for me; what constitutes by law and science what a female and a male is? Is it all just society or is it our genetic makeup? Because people believe sex and gender are separate, that sex is what someone is born with and gender is what you view yourself as. My question is, is if it's all just something that society made up, why do people feel the need to dress like the other gender and preferred to be called that way? Again I think it's fine, I just don't understand the point. And I know that I'm not transgender and I'll never understand what it feels like, but the explanations people give me never make sense. They say 'I was born a woman in a man's body', but the same groups of people are telling me that gender is just a concept. So I don't get it.

In a preferred world, I really wish people would just keep it simple; there are females an males, and some times females and males like to appear the dress, act, etc as the other gender. That's just simple for simplicity's sake. If gender is just something we made up then why make it more complicated? Because you prefer it? I dunno, I don't understand why we make things so complicated. We start coming up with all these terms for non-binaries and I just don't see the point. In some cases, it becomes special snowflake syndrome. Most of the time it's just people trying to find a place to that they can feel comfortable. I really think that we should all just be comfortable with the idea that gender doesn't mean anything, if we stop caring about gender and the social meanings behind both genders then men could become women and women could become men and no one would give a damn.

Out of respect, I do call transgender people by the preferred gender they want, except when they demand something crazy like 'ze' or whatever (there are people out there). But like I said, I don't see why you can't just be okay with being called whatever 'he' or 'she' if you believe that gender is just a social construct. Destroy the construct and you're just left with the sex your born with, which should be insignificant in how you wish to dress our behave.

razeak

razeak

I think it's representative of all the things listed in the first post.

For some it's a mental issue, for some it's a biological issue, for some it's a fad or faze. 

It doesn't bother me on any sort of moral level, but I am rather curious at how a person knows what it feels like to be a man/woman without any of the associated levels of hormones or other bodily functions. What is the reference point? I don't know exactly what to make of any of it in any sort of concrete way.

I read an article not to long ago where the author was stating it was the duty of a suitor, not the transgender person to determine if the transgender person was a male/female. I can't agree with that. We live in a society where it's slowly becoming taboo to even approach a greeting to someone you're attracted to, let alone having things go well and having to stop and say "Did you used to be a man?"

I just think the transgender person has the responsibility because it's their situation, not the other person's. If I asked someone out on a date and they said "I used to be a man." I would probably be a little stunned, and date over, but I wouldn't hold it against them or keep them out of the friend zone, especially if they were up front about it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: evolution_rex on Feb 25, 2015, 12:24:20 AM
But here is where things get iffy for me; what constitutes by law and science what a female and a male is? Is it all just society or is it our genetic makeup? Because people believe sex and gender are separate, that sex is what someone is born with and gender is what you view yourself as. My question is, is if it's all just something that society made up, why do people feel the need to dress like the other gender and preferred to be called that way? Again I think it's fine, I just don't understand the point. And I know that I'm not transgender and I'll never understand what it feels like, but the explanations people give me never make sense. They say 'I was born a woman in a man's body', but the same groups of people are telling me that gender is just a concept. So I don't get it.

Defects in genetic makeup is what I would attribute it to. You're born with a genetic code that makes up who you are and that helps shape your identity in life. When it comes to behaviour of people, I don't trust studies that look at it strictly from a sociological perspective because they tend to be rooted in ideology.

Predator Queen

I just don't really mind if you identify as one or the other. I don't mind if you want me to call you a certain pronoun. I have a friend online who I have known for two years who requested to be called "they" I just don't mind. As for my thoughts what causes this, speaking out as someone who identifies as a member of the transgender community. I would guess its hormonal with sprinkles of psychological. But I can only speak for myself.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Predator Queen on Feb 25, 2015, 06:52:30 PM
As for my thoughts what causes this, speaking out as someone who identifies as a member of the transgender community.
What is your gender orientation?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed