AVP2 on Steam?

Started by predxeno, Feb 16, 2015, 12:55:10 AM

Author
AVP2 on Steam? (Read 14,724 times)

predxeno

predxeno

Is there still a contract dispute between Fox Interactive and the engine owned by WB?  I've been wanting this game on Steam for a LONG time.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I would love for them to update the best AVP game in the series! It would be brilliant. So its a dispute going on is it?

predxeno

predxeno

Yeah, last I heard several years ago; Fox owns the title but WB owns the engine.

DT

DT

Fox owns the title yet WB owns the engine. Darn Litech Talon engine. >.< So far it seems both of those have kinda forgotten about avp2 in general, they havent said anything about any updates/mods/etc. lately so it kinda seems like abandonware rightnow. Technically speaking, that is. If they wanted, they could have shutdown AJL mod years ago, which they never did.. AJL is running under modified sourcecode after all without anykinda permissions as far as I know.

So, with Litech Talon, do whatever you want. Fox and/or WB will put up their message if they want to, so far its been all good. At some point there was even talk about buying a better Litech engine to rebuild avp(2) but it seems it was a bit too expensive for the community to handle it alone.*

*Correct me if im wrong, thats just stuff I've read from different forums during the years?

x-M-x

x-M-x

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

The whole Game is in 'limbo'

multiple companies own certain parts.

they won't come to some sort of agreement.

Xhan

Xhan

Extremely unlikely to happen.

The rights properties will not revert for at least another decade; both companies would have to co-operate with Valve and sign new agreements specifically for the new distribution. Fox interactive isn't a separate company per se, it's simply a a chunk of the publishing arm devoted to gaming and electronic venues, and the propagation of Fox properties.

It's possible for this to happen; simply rather unlikely to happen because of politics and financial reasons.

Also, the current modded server files would likely be a mess under vac, and likely a new lookup server would have to be negotiated

PsyKore

PsyKore

For some reason I feel like WB would be the harder company to prod for an agreement if there was one.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

It is a shame then, all that disagreeing and they could be re-making one of the best games of the franchise. I hear the steam version of AVP has updated graphics.

Xhan

Xhan

It does not actually, it just properly recognizes VESA modes now so you can go widescreen without issue, and unlike AvP2, it isn't stuck at a max rez.

Lucifero

Lucifero

I'm sorry to admit it but AVP2 is condemned to a sort of limbo.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: Lucifero on Mar 16, 2015, 10:01:14 PM
I'm sorry to admit it but AVP2 is condemned to a sort of limbo.

True.... but! she's still going strong on the (MSP) !

Lucifero

Lucifero

remains my old idea of steamos.
http://www.avpunknown.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1424861726
but I think it would not be very legal. ;D
There is a thin line between ethics and legality

The Mythic-developed Aliens Online was popular enough for a group of fans to try and keep playing after the game was canceled. It was cloned using the Half-Life engine, but unfortunately FOX threatened legal action and the whole plan was scrapped.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I remember someone trying to recreate it using AvP2 at some point.

Also, the original was modded to work offline many moons ago too.

Lucifero

Lucifero

how many moons ago? :D
is it possible create it but I think that is not legal . ;D
ethically speaking I see no problem to create a support system on line for an old game.
legally speaking the monolith is death so who could denounce the sierra?
the point is just that create a tribute to the old monolith is it possible?
i think yes if there is a no-profit think it is morally right. 8)

I need to find a mad programmer realy love this old game
p.s sry for my bad english  :-[

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Many. Many. Many. Many moon ago.

http://aliensvspredator2.filefront.com/file/Aliens_Online_AO;46606

last time I tried it it didn't work though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed