Sega no longer focusing on games for consoles

Started by newbeing, Jan 30, 2015, 02:49:28 PM

Author
Sega no longer focusing on games for consoles (Read 1,966 times)

newbeing

newbeing

Sega laying off 300 staff (it's unclear as to whether or not CA is affected), and now primariky focusing on PC and mobile releases for their games. Wonder what this means for the future of Alien: Isolation as a franchise...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-to-axe-300-jobs-as-focus-turns-to-pc-and-mobi/1100-6424996/
QuoteA drastic and sweeping restructure is underway at Sega as the publisher attempts to "drastically improve profitability," with more than 300 jobs at risk, a headquarter relocation underway, and a new focus away from games consoles.

Sega issued a notice to investors on Friday explaining that it expects to make just $34 million in net profit by the end of the financial year; a nosedive in performance compared to the $260 million it made the year prior.

Around 300 staff are scheduled to be made redundant, while Sega's San Francisco headquarters will be relocated--likely by summer--to southern California.

[Update: Sega Europe has issued a statement to GameSpot suggesting that its development teams, such as Sports Interactive and The Creative Assembly, might not be affected by the consultation process. Though the details were not explicitly clear at this early stage, Sega Europe has suggested that the focus of the downsizing is on the publishing business.

"We are under consultation with a limited number of staff in the European publishing business and will be able to confirm decisions regarding any potential redundancies in the coming weeks." Update Ends]

The struggling publisher, which formed in the 1940s and shifted its business into video games by the late '80s, will also reposition its business to center it around "smartphone and PC online gaming."

Although drastic measures, Sega has been planning this shift in business since May 2014. To what extent this will further narrow its games console business is unclear. Sega's key releases of 2014 were Alien: Isolation, Rome 2 Total War, and Sonic Boom.

The corporation said: "SEGA has positioned Digital Games, particularly smartphone and PC online gaming, as a growth area and has determined to implement the following measures in order to constantly post profits by improving management efficiency while promptly promoting redistribution of management resources."

Edit: It seems my original statement might be an exaggeration. They might still make games for consoles, but are focusing most of their attention on PC.

Randomizer

Sad , as the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Sega were the arcade games (especially the AvP one) and  2010's Alien vs. Predator . I'm not sure how will A:I be affected by this...

No "PC master race" thing plz

vikingr

That's really sad. I'm really happy, that I don't play on consoles now. I hope the Alien and AvP franchises won't be affected by that.

gabgrave

Reading carefully, they are focusing on PC multiplayer games. So a potentially singleplayer game like A:I would not be their target product.

Randomizer

That's a lot of competition .

Corporal Hicks

The report does say that it looks like Creative Assembly wouldn't be affected as well.

Mr. Forest

I should really invest in a gaming PC, but I'm relieved there is the possibility of future SEGA titles being released on consoles.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed