Not Many People Finished Alien: Isolation

Started by HuDaFuK, Jan 28, 2015, 01:50:12 PM

Author
Not Many People Finished Alien: Isolation (Read 16,418 times)

Mr. Forest

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 31, 2015, 09:12:05 AM
Have to agree with Hicks there. Though for me it was the fan part of me that wanted it to not end, but at the same time the survivor part of me did want it to end because I was immersed enough that I just wanted to finally escape Sevastopol and not have to face the alien anymore.

I love this game.
I feel the same way, and yet I have come back to play Nightmare mode!  For a game that makes me not want to play it, I continue to play with with no complaints.

scm

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 31, 2015, 08:51:10 AM
Quote from: scm on Jan 31, 2015, 03:25:30 AM
I havent finished it yet, about halfway through. I'm not really surprised because its just rather repetitive and boring in general. I have no problem with harder games, I usually start each game on the heardest setting, so its not that. Great looking game though and I like Amanada

Can't agree with you at all there. The feel of the game was so fantastic I didn't want it to end.
Oh no I didn't mean anything about the feel of it, the atmosphere everything about it is great. I'm at level 13 now I think. It got better after the 5th mission for me. It was more of the gameplay than how the game was designed. I would have no problem with a movie being loosely adapted to this, ive enjoyed the story so far.

vikingr

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 31, 2015, 03:34:30 PM
I am currently replaying it again now, a tip guys... if you are using Kinect, keep your mouth shut, your voice is transfered in game and so it can alert enemies.

Really? That's really cool because many guys will talk to themselves to overcome their fear playing it. :D

The Cruentus

Yep and that is how they get themselves killed  :laugh: One cool thin with kinect is that with certain settings on, Amanda's head follows yours when she is hiding, by moving your head up, you can make Amanda look over a table for example. I don't use kinect myself, so I don't have to worry about accidentally revealing myself.  ;D

Xhan

1. The auto leash is annoying and tedious

2. The "evac" half of the game is f**k all tedious and super fetch questy; and doesn't really introduce anything new other than more Aliens, which again does not amp the threat, it simply dilutes it, especially if you have flame equipment.

3. If they were going to show the human element wholesale, and also break the flow into discrete chunks, why not have a section where station personnel actually help you, or move you along? You get a hint of this in security for about 5 seconds and then it's back to business as usual.

4. The Alien is simply noisy as hell. It's funny to hear words like "stalked" and "hunted" just strewn about in reviews like confetti when the alien sounds like someone gave a pack of dobermans metal high heels and then duct taped them together, which is pretty much the direct opposite of the word "stalk". Having the Alien stomp around diminishes the threat over time, and eventually it becomes routine rote: stomp-stomp-stomp, hiding in the thing use the noisy thing, use the fire/explosive thing, move to the next level.

vikingr

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 01, 2015, 03:18:44 PM
Yep and that is how they get themselves killed  :laugh: One cool thin with kinect is that with certain settings on, Amanda's head follows yours when she is hiding, by moving your head up, you can make Amanda look over a table for example. I don't use kinect myself, so I don't have to worry about accidentally revealing myself.  ;D

That's great :D Could use the same system via Track IR (if it would be supported).

Btw: I'm really happy I could get management to receive 46 of 50 achievements already. Last 4 missing are "Mercy or Prudence?" (Completed the game without killing any humans), "One Shot" (Completed the game without dying), "Mind Your Step" (Navigated Reactor Maintenance without dying) and "100 Times Too Many" (Killed by the Alien 100 times). I don't know if I'll ever receive they. But maybe on my last playthrough on nightmare. I'm pretty scared too play it on this difficulty!

The Cruentus

For the sheer challenge and fun, I would play nightmare (currently replaying on hard after using normal to get tags and logs) but for the achievement of not dying, go normal or easy, no shame in it, especially if you're after the trophy, it will obviously feel better and more of victory if you can do it on hard but we both know Mr. Alien is not going to allow that, not at all.

I got "Mercy or Prudence?" on my first playthrough, now I am making sure I kill humans left and right, it means less enemies to sneak up on me, plus its fun to make the Drone your unwitting ally by siccing it on people with noisemakers. I just need to find a way to have laser beams attached to its head.

On nightmare, I would assume "100 Times Too Many" is not going to be a problem.  ;D

PsyKore

What Xhan said is true. The game starts strong but it becomes routine and it drags on way too much at times. It's not a surprise most people who aren't fans wouldn't finish it.

vikingr

I never felt the routine. I was too damn scared for that!

There weren't many repetitive maneuvers to perform, at least it didn't felt like that for me.

The Cruentus

Same here, it never felt repetitive or too long to me, I absolutely enjoyed the game and was left wanting more, mind you it does come down to personal opinions, not everyone likes the same things or agrees with parts of something that they do like, they might like the game but dislike the pacing etc

HuDaFuK

I can kinda get the repetitive argument - when you break it down, the game was basically "go here, do this, go here, do this..." But I was so damn scared the whole time I barely noticed.

I suspect on easier settings it might well be a little dull. But on hard and above, when you're constantly in danger, it was anything but boring.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 04, 2015, 03:38:47 PM
I can kinda get the repetitive argument - when you break it down, the game was basically "go here, do this, go here, do this..." But I was so damn scared the whole time I barely noticed.

I suspect on easier settings it might well be a little dull. But on hard and above, when you're constantly in danger, it was anything but boring.

Indeed. I can see where the repetitive nature might became an issue. But I was too engrossed in the world and the experience.

The Cruentus

I can see what you mean Hud and how it could seem like a drag but I honestly never felt it, maybe it was because of the danger but I never felt like I was repeating myself, its down to personal views I think and maybe personal actions as well, I made it a point not to repeat my actions so that the Alien could not outsmart me, fact is though....you have to go somewhere, you have to do something...my question is was why Ripley?, she is just a engineer! I mean the marshals should be doing this job!  :laugh:

Great ideas they got. "send in the woman!"

szkoki

i havent finished any game since Isolation, altough i havent started any story driven game.

okay thats not true because i finished Wolf Among Us and  Walking Dead too. and that indie game Never Alone.
i like cool story driven games, and shorter ones. these 14 hours games are killing me.

a cool story driven game can get my attention for around 5-6, above that it have too have a really various gameplay wich most games nowdays doesnt have

back in the days the longest games were Soul Reaver and Tomb Raider games with great puzzles that kept you going on, also Final Fantasy games wich were not that long if you wouldnt have to level up for every boss fight, altough they had lot of side stories and mini games, achievments

HuDaFuK

Games in general used to be a lot longer, I think. Most of the games I owned on the N64 took a considerable amount of time to finish. Today it seems like many can be beat in just a few hours.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed