Tantalizing Detail Seen on Mysterious Dwarf Planet

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 20, 2015, 08:25:41 AM

Author
Tantalizing Detail Seen on Mysterious Dwarf Planet (Read 1,889 times)

Corporal Hicks

KirklandSignature

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 20, 2015, 08:25:41 AM
http://news.discovery.com/space/tantalizing-detail-seen-on-mysterious-dwarf-planet-150119.htm
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4449

So before we've got New Horizons in July, we've got Ceres in March to be excited for.

Stuff like this bores me. Just another dead and lifeless planet with boring geological features characteristic of every planet and planetoid in the solar system.

Now when humans have the tech to visit these areas of the solar system then that's when I will become slightly interested.

Corporal Hicks

Thankfully not everyone is bored by it.

They believe there maybe a sub-surface ocean on it, like Europa and Titan, so who knows what they might find there. And it's certainly closer than those.

KirklandSignature

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 20, 2015, 04:04:04 PM

They believe there maybe a sub-surface ocean on it, like Europa and Titan, so who knows what they might find there. And it's certainly closer than those.

Indeed. A sub-surface liquid ocean(either Methane or H20) would be quite a find. Has Europa and Titan been confirmed to have these or is it still in debate?

whiterabbit

Walking distance and you can walk on it. Sounds like a disaster in the making.

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Jan 20, 2015, 04:46:19 PM

Indeed. A sub-surface liquid ocean(either Methane or H20) would be quite a find. Has Europa and Titan been confirmed to have these or is it still in debate?

Enceladus and Neptune likely have the H2O oceans, I'm way more interested in those planets. Europa is a possibility though and Titan does have Methane lakes on it's surface full of all the chemicals needed to create life as we know it.

Corporal Hicks

Indeed - I didn't mean Titan, I meant Enceladus.

Nightgaunt

Looking forward to Pluto and Charon.  :)

Hubbs

Hubbs

Less debating...more Star Trekking.

Corporal Hicks

Nightgaunt

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 12, 2015, 09:11:09 AM
Quote from: Nightgaunt on Feb 12, 2015, 04:22:14 AM
Looking forward to Pluto and Charon.  :)

Indeed - this is going to be my event of the year, I feel.

http://news.discovery.com/space/nasa-probe-captures-first-pluto-approach-photos-150205.htm

Checked out the link. Did not know Pluto had other moons. (Nix, Hydra, Styx, Kerberos) very cool. Plus, a Batcave in the distant future ;)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 21, 2015, 01:21:34 AM

Walking distance and you can walk on it. Sounds like a disaster in the making.

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Jan 20, 2015, 04:46:19 PM

Enceladus and Neptune likely have the H2O oceans, I'm way more interested in those planets. Europa is a possibility though and Titan does have Methane lakes on it's surface full of all the chemicals needed to create life as we know it.

If they find what they're lookin' for out there, that mean we get full shares?

Corporal Hicks

Nightgaunt

The NASA site says Ceres is about 590 miles (950 km) across. London to Milan? 

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Dwa_Ceres

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed