Alien Isolation Movie debate

Started by acrediblesource, Jan 12, 2015, 10:47:39 PM

Author
Alien Isolation Movie debate (Read 4,463 times)

acrediblesource

So I had the generalization of this idea since A:I was first released:
Will you think an Alien Isolation Movie (feature film) could be a possible win for the franchise?
adding that  the original cast of actors and actresses who voiced the game commit to their live action counter parts.

I think it's ballsy if they did it, rehashing the original tone and concept. The only problems i'd see would be the Alien being in costume with tail and all somehow wouldn't work onscreen as a full body monster.

I'm sure though the CGI alien could be used and rendered to be spot on perfect.
The story though would be proper to re-write it for a 2 hour movie and would love for it to go a whole different direction or tell the original story and not go right to the end.

anyone?

Son Of Kane

Son Of Kane

No CG Alien and I'd be on board.

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Jan 12, 2015, 11:04:35 PM

How about a judicious combination of CG and practical effects?  For instance, I think CG would have a role in making the tail move a little more believably as a prehensile limb, although it certainly wouldn't be necessary to do that in every shot.

Son Of Kane

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Doktor_Wunderbar on Jan 14, 2015, 11:36:54 PM
Quote from: Son Of Kane on Jan 12, 2015, 11:04:35 PM

How about a judicious combination of CG and practical effects?  For instance, I think CG would have a role in making the tail move a little more believably as a prehensile limb, although it certainly wouldn't be necessary to do that in every shot.

No, none of that silly AVP- nonsense the Alien's tale should be as it is in Isolation, sort of limp, dragging on the ground twitching every so often.

acrediblesource

Whatever the case may be, I think its agreed that the original Giger alien is needed to do full body shots for a movie like this as it makes more sense as we are pretty much use to it by now in this game. We don't quite see anything else but that and close ups which (IMHO) still looks abit OFF.
I could be the teeth or the angle of the head....

Vrastal

Vrastal

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jan 16, 2015, 12:01:23 AM
Whatever the case may be, I think its agreed that the original Giger alien is needed to do full body shots for a movie like this as it makes more sense as we are pretty much use to it by now in this game. We don't quite see anything else but that and close ups which (IMHO) still looks abit OFF.

not on board with a movie. the game was great leave it alone.

and i tihnk its the color of thalien it hasa greyish silver color instead of a black shell look

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Nazrel on Jan 16, 2015, 08:22:24 AM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Jan 16, 2015, 12:01:23 AM

not on board with a movie. the game was great leave it alone.

and i tihnk its the color of thalien it hasa greyish silver color instead of a black shell look
If I'm not mistaken, that was the same coloration used in the first movie. It just didn't show up very well due to the lighting used in the film.

vikingr

vikingr

I like the idea of a movie using this setup. It needs a good director and actors of course. The alien could be done similar to the aliens in Alien: Resurrection (cgi and constructed dolls). Doing it like the first movie did it would screw it up nowadays, because you're pretty limited in what you can show the audience then.

acrediblesource

I think a good majority of the film could still have the claustrophobic ambiance of the first film and let a certain portion of it dedicated to the Alien reveal. So long as it accomplishes it's story.
For them to recreate a Nostromo type of ship though would be interesting. It would be great for them to keep that 70s feel too with the wardrobe. I wonder how much something like this might cost.

Sagit

Sagit

Quote from: vikingr on Jan 24, 2015, 05:01:54 PM
I like the idea of a movie using this setup. It needs a good director and actors of course. The alien could be done similar to the aliens in Alien: Resurrection (cgi and constructed dolls). Doing it like the first movie did it would screw it up nowadays, because you're pretty limited in what you can show the audience then.
I agree with the cast and director part. But Resurrection aliens...oh please God, Buddha, Allah, Odin, Zeus, Anubis and all the other dieties: NOOOOOOO!!!!! ;) If it has to be CGI just grab the one from the game and put it in the movie.
But yeah: do it like the first movie. Sort of ALIEN hd version.

Russ

Russ

A:R looked great, I thought the aliens were fine in that one - and that was 1996 I think. I'm sure CGI + (and that's a really big plus) live effects would be great nowadays.

vikingr

vikingr

I don't want the style of the A:R Aliens but the techniques they used to show them. CGI and live effects blended it to each other really well in this movie (other then in Alien 3).

The style should be borrowed from the game.

Corporal Hicks

It wasn't CGI in Alien 3. It was something called mo-motion. It was a rod-puppet filmed on a blue (I think?) screen and then inserted into the footage.

I do agree that a blend of practical and CG would be a good idea. I can't see a man in a suit moving the way the Alien slinks out the vents.

vikingr

vikingr

Ah you're right, I should've remebered that from all the making ofs I watched :D

That was definately horrible implemented.

acrediblesource

A summary of the creature effects used in the franchise.

1979 - Alien has a live action costumed man in closeups.
1986 - Aliens had many people in large costumes and closeups most of them used wires to jump and dangle.
1992 - Alien3 had very good full body costume but the animalistic movements of the creature were captured with the rod puppet (imho they animated well but the composites were crude and you can make out the green screen)
1997 Alien Resurrection. Still the live action costumes were good but less Giger in it. There were full alien CG creatures to do the full animated body movements. They looked very toony because their actions were practically impossible. (this is where CGI made them creatures cheap IMHO)
2004 - AVP was interesting because the aliens (most of the shots) were practical effects and costumed creatures.
2007 AVP Requiem, still with the costumes however CGI was used to make special effects which were plenty of them.

2012 - Promethues had some pretty realistic shots of CGI creatures. No problems here. I felt that it was barely noticeable.
This could all be due to the basic lighting and minimalist movements.

I still don't see the full HR giger alien being in CGI and looking too great. It looks very CGI up close to me in the game no doubt about that. It's intent is to basically scare the pants off of you in less than 5 seconds. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed