Can we expect to see the Queen in a follow up to Isolation?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Dec 10, 2014, 11:38:48 PM

Author
Can we expect to see the Queen in a follow up to Isolation? (Read 34,736 times)

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

After AvP Galaxy's interview with Creative Assembly saying,

"We wanted to imply that a Queen was on board but it didn't feel like facing off against a boss Alien Queen was very... "Alien". We were caught in a riddle of, "If we show an Alien Queen, the player will expect to fight her" and "If we don't show her, people will ask where the eggs come from". In the end we figured it was best to preserve the suspense and mystery by not explicitly showing her.

Does this mean that there's a strong chance that the Queen will be revealed in the sequel since they didn't show where the eggs come from "yet". If it is all a mystery very much played out from the first Alien, since there was a lot of mystery and tension to the film can we expect a more Aliens based game the next time around? These are questions I had during the game since we never really figured out where the eggs come from. Do you think the same formula used in Alien Isolation will be used in the follow up? I'd hope they take a different route the next time around to preserve the experience of the first game.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Chronicle on Dec 10, 2014, 11:38:48 PMDo you think the same formula used in Alien Isolation will be used in the follow up? I'd hope they take a different route the next time around to preserve the experience of the first game.

Not sure what you mean by that.

Sagit

I think he means stealthy/sneaky game. Please CA don't go down the Aliens road. Less action more tension approach worked just fine.

HuDaFuK

I'm not entirely sure where CA could go with a sequel.

A lot of the greatness and terror in Isolation was down to the unknown. That first time through, when you didn't know exactly what the Alien would do or where it was likely to show up, was by far the best the game had to offer. It was still a wonderful game on repeat play, and still had it's share of terror, but the fact you had some idea of what to expect meant it noticeably lost it's edge. I worry a sequel that just tries to repeat the same formula would have that disadvantage from the get-go.

CA definitely need to mix it up a little if they want another game as good as the first.

PsyKore

I think action and tension can co-exist. It just needs to be done properly. I would prefer it leaning towards survival-horror however.

I would actually like to be stalked/hunted/chased by a Queen at some point in the next one. Would be batshit scary. :laugh:

Valaquen

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 11, 2014, 11:05:39 AM
I think action and tension can co-exist. It just needs to be done properly. I would prefer it leaning towards survival-horror however.

I agree. They are not mutually exclusive. I think a good Alien action game should have you feeling quesy rather than exhilirated, But nobody seems to care about striking that balance in a game. It's a very didactic view out there: action is dumb and tension-free, being unarmed/lone Alien is suspense incarnate. I think Aliens is incredibly suspenseful *shrugs*

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 11, 2014, 10:57:00 AM
I worry a sequel that just tries to repeat the same formula would have that disadvantage from the get-go.

CA definitely need to mix it up a little if they want another game as good as the first.

I agree, even though Isolation was a fantastic Alien game with tons of replay value and meaningful, terrifying encounters I really badly don't want them to repeat the same formula. Lets do something different. I think CA has just as much potential to make a marvelous Aliens based game as they did with the first Alien. By repeating the same formula they will only tend to 'milk' this franchise down further and those same type of scares will not be as terrifying as they once were. By mixing things up a bit and bringing in a new fresh slate to this hopefully so called 'series' we will be able to see more of the universe than just Scott's vision. The other 3 films made a lot of accomplishments and the atmosphere in a lot of the sequels along with the set designs are very worthy of seeing in a game. Surrounding everything from the first film over and over again just doesn't seem terribly exciting to me.

PRJ_since1990

I think they could totally do ALIENS justice in vidya gaem form. They could add suspense through fully destructible environments. Let's imagine you play a Colonial Marine tasked with safe guarding a mission to bring Xenomorphs back to Weyland Yutani at Gateway Station and they escape en route. You could blast them away but the acid would leak through the floors/walls, creating new dangers and possible breaches in hull integrity. The story could change in an instant.

I guess I'm just spitballin' but I would really appreciate a game like that. Something where you could create a character and take them through these series of missions only to potentially have them die off before the final act and have to start over. Plus we've never had a game where acid blood actually did anything to the environment. I want the Aliens equivalent of Red Faction (inb4 Armageddon).

HuDaFuK

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jan 29, 2015, 12:25:25 AMRed Faction

That game was immense. The first one anyway.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jan 29, 2015, 12:25:25 AM
I think they could totally do ALIENS justice in vidya gaem form.

I think so too. But doesn't seem to be where Creative Assembly want to go.

I would love to experience something akin to Alien/Aliens. Limited ammo, still stealth and still having the ability to sneak around if need be. But destructible scenery where you can weld through some materials, use seismic charges and even acid blood to try and make your way around the locations.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2015, 12:50:41 PMI would love to experience something akin to Alien/Aliens. Limited ammo, still stealth and still having the ability to sneak around if need be. But destructible scenery where you can weld through some materials, use seismic charges and even acid blood to try and make your way around the locations.

Building on that, I wonder how feasible it would be to just have a set (but expansive) location, and the only objective is to survive for a set period of time. You could come up with your own strategies, either fortify a certain area or travel light and keep on the move. Choose to band together with others or go it alone. The destructible environment would change with each encounter and with the fluid AI no two encounters would ever be the same. There may be secondary objectives that could perhaps aid in your survival, but they wouldn't be strictly necessary.

Maybe you couldn't make an entire game out of that, but you could certainly include sections along those lines.

Corporal Hicks

It'd make a much better kind of Survivor/Bughunt mode, that's for sure. But not as the basis for a whole game, no.

The Cruentus

The Queen would be dead due to the events of the game, however, that is not to say someone won't stumble on the eggs....again and a Queen will possibly be present again....though that would just be another rehash. I don't think CA should go the movies route i.e Alien = Aliens, they should keep it a horror but give you more to fight with, I mean I am not adverse to the idea of a colonial marine or a early version of them being present and having to fight an Alien or more, but ammo should be very limited and the Alien should still kill you as soon as it gets to you, basically given you the message that despite being armed: "it won't make any difference"  ;D  well, maybe a little, certainly not enough to empower you, just enough so its a different experience to the first game.

HuDaFuK

I'd actually quite like to see more about the Colonial Marshals.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 29, 2015, 05:33:49 PM
The Queen would be dead due to the events of the game, however, that is not to say someone won't stumble on the eggs....again and a Queen will possibly be present again....though that would just be another rehash. I don't think CA should go the movies route i.e Alien = Aliens, they should keep it a horror but give you more to fight with, I mean I am not adverse to the idea of a colonial marine or a early version of them being present and having to fight an Alien or more, but ammo should be very limited and the Alien should still kill you as soon as it gets to you, basically given you the message that despite being armed: "it won't make any difference"  ;D  well, maybe a little, certainly not enough to empower you, just enough so its a different experience to the first game.

Very good way at looking at it.

I think having the marines be super vulnerable in a terrifying environment would be perfect. I just don't like the idea of Creative Assembly negating the sequels because their so caught up with the first film. Aliens is just too good to pass up and I don't see why their trying to steer clear of it. Maybe since Sega and Gearbox already kind of f**ked up on Colonial Marines and that was already attempted. That might be a reason. But the game was terrible, not many play it anymore and its long since been forgotten by many. I think Sega would be very relieved to hear such a request to make an Aliens game.

I love the horror in the first film because it really does bring you back to Alien but why are we doing that again guys? Wouldn't it be more appealing to have a whole new outake for an Alien game?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed