My Problems with Prometheus 2

Started by predxeno, Nov 20, 2014, 11:03:52 PM

Author
My Problems with Prometheus 2 (Read 33,377 times)

predxeno

predxeno

My concern is that the 2nd film will stray even further from the established ground work and create even more logic gaps.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 20, 2014, 11:03:52 PM
My concern is that the 2nd film will stray even further from the established ground work and create even more logic gaps.

In perfectly fine with them moving thematically away from the Alien films, since they already did that in the first one anyways.

By logic gaps, I mean internally more than I do in context of the franchise. Things like the inconsistent writing of characters and the shoddy editing of the final act and the nonsensical transitioning of events before/after the excellent (if a bit over-the-top) C-section scene.

predxeno

If Ridley wants to make another franchise then I'm all for it but it's pretty clear that Ridley cares more about making money than telling a story with integrity.  The Prometheus trailers promised to answer so many questions like why we were we created and what happens to us when we die.  The film, however, answers none of those questions and is instead an obvious attempt at a trilogy.  His inclusion of the Alien franchise is a blatant attempt to widen the audience numbers while contributing little to nothing to the Alien universe.

marrerom

I can think of a few instances where technology from Prometheus carried over to the Alien films. The super realistic TV screen that Vickers had in her private quarters is the same technology that Ripely used when she was waiting for Burke at the way station before her meeting with the board.  Then you have David who is the most advanced model android at the time, but by the time the alien movies take place you have Androids that are at least as advanced as David was (in terms of appearing/functioning as a human).

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 20, 2014, 11:08:46 PM
His inclusion of the Alien franchise is a blatant attempt to widen the audience numbers while contributing little to nothing to the Alien universe.

what!? Prometheus added a TON to the mythology of the alien universe.  Seriously, in terms of new material Prometheus was full to the brim.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: marrerom on Nov 21, 2014, 12:21:28 AM
His inclusion of the Alien franchise is a blatant attempt to widen the audience numbers while contributing little to nothing to the Alien universe.

what!? Prometheus added a TON to the mythology of the alien universe.  Seriously, in terms of new material Prometheus was full to the brim.

Yeah, it's a pity that those "new material" were so important that they will never make it to the sequel.  Can't anyone see that Ridley Scott isn't pandering to the Alien fans?  He's simply going to draw up some random alien for Prometheus 2 and once he's sure the general public won't reject it for being too much like the original Alien, he will win Alien fans over by simply stamping the word "Alien" into its name thus winning him approval from both sides with the least amount of work possible.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Anyway Prometheus is far better than AVPR and a bit better than AVP and Alien R. So no, it's not the worst insult to the fans. I think some are overreacting, but probably because the director was Ridley Scott, and they were expecting more from him.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Nov 21, 2014, 01:51:21 AM
Eh, not getting my hopes up for anything at all Alien or Prometheus related coming from Scott.

While I liked Prometheus, more and more I just.. find my initial opinion of it slipping.

Right now my attitude is essentially: "Oh, another Prometheus movie. Okay."

I know I should be excited but.. for some reason I'm not. I think I'm more anxious for Shane's movie but for this.. we'll wait and see.

saintssinphony

If Ridley wants to make another franchise then I'm all for it but it's pretty clear that Ridley cares more about making money than telling a story with integrity.  The Prometheus trailers promised to answer so many questions like why we were we created and what happens to us when we die.  The film, however, answers none of those questions and is instead an obvious attempt at a trilogy.  His inclusion of the Alien franchise is a blatant attempt to widen the audience numbers while contributing little to nothing to the Alien universe.

Ridley has to worry about making money though.  That's the job of movies.  I can say I'm grateful he hasn't went all Michael Bay on us, now that would be showing how he would rather rake in cash than make a quality movie.  I also think it's FOX wanting the trilogy or whatever.  That seems to be the "thing to do" now which that's another topic.

I just think a better writer and better editing could make the next film awesome.  Ridley Scott has a vision and just has to rely on others to bring it to life then he directs the shooting and has to make a call on what can work and what can't but he can't.  That's simplifying it I know but I hope I'm getting across what I mean.  I sometimes feel Ridley Scott gets his name brought in as it's all his fault when really I feel he did a good job getting what he could from the actors and art department and so on.  It could have went way way way worse

SiL

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 20, 2014, 08:48:04 PM
You're trying to argue that in the future, companies reply on 80+ year old tech and that no ship building companies would even bother to upgrade; instead manufacturing new models like the Porsche or the Prius, future corporations prefer the Cadillac cause it's cheaper. 
We're arguing that companies historically don't upgrade shit unless they have to and that a certain amount of corporate neglect and apathy towards its lower-rung employees is pretty friggin' fundamental to the characterisation of Weyland-Yutani as a company, and has been since day one.

Ship building companies would be producing cheap ships so they can add markup when selling to other companies. Other companies buy cheap ships to keep overheads down. Cheap ships are also presumably cheaper to maintain. And you don't buy a Porsche or a Prius when you need an 18 wheeler truck.

The argument of "the technology exists and would be affordable, therefor should be everywhere" is really, really stupid. The next nuclear power station that gets built isn't going to be operated by touch screens regardless of how cheap they are.

predxeno

It really is amazing how you guys jump through loops to preserve Prometheus canon but then complain over every detail of AVPR's plot.

Corporal Hicks

It's not jumping through hoops. At all.

predxeno

What's the difference between Weyland Corp. hiding the existence of Engineers and Yutani Corp hiding the existence of the Gunnison County infestation then?  People cry canon discrepancy for one but don't for the other.

Nightmare Asylum

The Engineers weren't on Earth ~100 years before the events of Alien. The only encounters (so far) between humans and Engineers in recent history took place far away from Earth, where any number of excuses could be made to cover up what happened (assuming Weyland Industries was even certain of what happened themselves).

In AVPR the government dropped a nuke in America in 2007. That might raise a few questions.

SpaceMarines

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 21, 2014, 06:51:30 PM
What's the difference between Weyland Corp. hiding the existence of Engineers and Yutani Corp hiding the existence of the Gunnison County infestation then?  People cry canon discrepancy for one but don't for the other.

The encounter with the Prometheus crew occurred dozens (possibly hundreds) of lightyears away, and all involved either died or disappeared. Weyland Corp. knows nothing about the existence of Engineers. All they know is that the crew went missing along with their founder. There's no cover-up when you don't know anything.

As NA said, a nuke being detonated in a populated region of the US is a bit of a different situation.

predxeno

I'm sure the U.S. military credited the explosion to a nuclear plant or something.  Also, there's no evidence that Weyland Corp knew nothing about Peter's plans.  Though the public may have been deceived, I find it very unlikely that a medpod and other advanced medical equipment went "missing" or was otherwise delegated and the company never even bothered to ask questions why such advanced technology was needed on an archeological expedition.  As the Dark Horse Comics proved, there was sufficient data on the Prometheus mission and Peter's trip to it to attract snooping noses.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed