The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 234,064 times)

Ultramorph

Hope you enjoy it, the trilogy is a really fun ride!

The Alien Predator

I hope you enjoy it dude, it's a really fun read. I plan on re-reading the whole thing back to back one day now that I have all three. No more painful long waits in-between books after binge reading them in the first two days.

SpreadEagleBeagle

I can't help it, but the fact that there are Predators in these novels is kind of a big turn off for me. I'm really not a big fan of the AVP concept, or more accurately - I simply can't seem to get truly invested in anything AVP. To me the whole AVP concept is just a crossover and nothing more than that. Just a fun schtick.

But you guys said that:
Spoiler
the Predators only have a minor role in these novels, no? If so, how small? Do they play a large and pivotal part in the story or are they in these books just to "add" some extra spice?
[close]

The Alien Predator

Spoiler
In the first book, they don't appear as much but they do have a presence here and there, mainly from certain characters but even then it's not teeming with encounters seeing as they're not very social nor have a high population density to the point that just seeing four or five ships enter human space is a lot and a cause for concern too, and in the third book when around ten or so Predators showed up at once, a marine said that's the highest amount they've ever seen of them at once in the same place.

They have the smallest presence in the second book, it's just this one character who is a companion of another character and even her part is really small overall. It's focused on humans vs Aliens and Rage.

The third book has the highest amount of Predator presence and we learn the most about them in that one (and by "most" I mean "not much"), the previous books are mainly speculations about them by humans. Only small scraps are shared in the first novel by a named Predator companion of a certain character.
[close]

Kaltes

First book arrived today, given that I have several days off starting tomorrow, I have something new to keep me occupied. :)

The Alien Predator

Let us know what you think of it.

Kaltes

Broke into the first couple of chapters yesterday. So far I like the universe and far future setup it has going on, though it is pretty slow thus far, but that's okay because at least the characters are good. I'm sure the payoff for it will be rewarding.

The Alien Predator

How do you guys imagine the following centuries after the Rage War?

How will the 2700's - 2800's - 2900's etc look? Will humans be making a quick recovery or will it take a very long time? Will they regain lost territories?

Will
Spoiler
Hashori's ship be discovered in the derelict Hell Station by salvagers? Will humans discover the Yautja asteroid in the Human Sphere? Or that Rage Drophole? Or any other Rage ships left? We know the Yautja took the Macbeth's remains, but we don't know yet if they took the other things.

Also, will they go to Midsummer? Because they now know this is where the Founders got their weapons of mass destruction. Do you reckon the Yautja will nuke it to kindgom f**k? Or will they study the place?
[close]

Just some things I wanna hear your own thoughts on. I still personally see humans scraping by and managing. Maybe rebuilding some Dropholes. Maybe getting access to some Rage tech.

What happens to
Spoiler
Weyland-Yutani and the Colonial Marines?
[close]

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Finally finished this. Whilst I enjoyed large elements and the world-building, it wasn't the page turner it really should have been. I struggled through the climax if I'm honest.

I think Lebbon has played far too much Mass Effect.

The Alien Predator

"You say that as if it was a bad thing" ~ Detective Schaefer.  :P

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I was re-reading the old Predator Omnibus comics. :laugh:

TheBATMAN

On the contrary, Mass Effect is superb but this was just too similar.

Drukathi/Faze = Reapers
The Rage = Cerberus
Beatrix Maloney = Illusive Man
Hell = Omega
Pixie = Normandy
The thirteen = The Council
Relays = Drop Holes
Faze modified relay =Omega 4 relay
The ending = Mass Effect 3's ending

This plus a host of other stuff such as the human/alien team-up, peace brokered between warring species etc. Seriously if you want to experience the Rage War in video game format, play the Mass Effect trilogy. The similarities are uncanny.

The Alien Predator

I do agree that there are similarities with sci fi such as Mass Effect. Also the use of food replicators and Warp drives reminded me of Star Trek. Humans and Predators both have these technologies.

And I noticed many of those Mass Effect similarities too. You gotta admit though, the Mass Relays are much safer and take you further away than Dropholes.  :P I'd rather use that any time if I were a space traveler lol.

Despite these similarities, I like that Lebbon used a bit of his own personal touch. Such as making Dropholes extremely dangerous to construct and exceedingly risky to use with a guaranteed doom for anyone whose suspension pod has failed to work properly during a drop.

Perfect-Organism

I've been off this thread because I didn't want to spoil myself the pleasure of the final book in the series.  I haven't enjoyed the series as much as I had hoped, and am struggling to get through the second book.

Without undue spoilers, what's the bottom line on Book 3?  Should I get it?  Are people generally happy with the series?  Are there any insights into the Engineers in the last book?

The Alien Predator

I enjoyed it.

There's no insight into Engineers but we learn a bit more about the Dog-Aliens from the Yautja perspective.

Ultramorph

The trilogy is definitely worth a buy, if you go in expecting something unlike any other AVP story.

Kind of hard to believe it's all said and done. It seems like yesterday it was first teased in the back of River of Pain. Maybe I'm just getting old!  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed