The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 233,398 times)

RakaiThwei

So I had to go and dig up my Three World War comic.. Not once is the word Yautja uttered. Not even in narration boxes.

The Alien Predator

Yeah, I misremembered. Thanks for looking anyway, Rakai.

happypred

I would argue that Perry's Yautja, Vandermeer's Predators, and Lebbon's Yautja are all nomadic, tribalistic hunters with an alien but somewhat understandable sense of honour/code of conduct. Only the Hish are really divergent.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Nov 25, 2015, 12:53:01 AM
I would argue that Perry's Yautja, Vandermeer's Predators, and Lebbon's Yautja are all nomadic, tribalistic hunters with an alien but somewhat understandable sense of honour/code of conduct. Only the Hish are really divergent.

If you wanna tie them altogether, that's fine but that would require some serious tweaking. I mean...I would think Perry and Vandermeer's interpretations would be able to better tied together than with Lebbon's.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Nov 25, 2015, 01:02:27 AM

If you wanna tie them altogether, that's fine but that would require some serious tweaking. I mean...I would think Perry and Vandermeer's interpretations would be able to better tied together than with Lebbon's.

From what Vandermeer has said about his Predators in the "Ask Jeff" thread, it's a lot easier to tie his ideas with those of Lebbon's.

One huge thing comes to mind, they both have females that are identical to the males. Unlike Perry's Yautja. So you'd still have to do tons of tweaking to fit Jeff's with Perry's.

And Jeff was asked about if his Predators had "scientists", and he was mentioning how if they did, they'd probably be enslaved or the technology may have been stolen by the Predators and learned how to be operated. That's some Hish like behaviour there.

So in conclusion, Jeff's and Lebbon's could very easily be the same biological species, the behavioural differences could be attributed to different clan cultures.

But besides that, I don't think Jeff did a lot of elaborating on the females in the actual book. I haven't read it so I can't say.

RakaiThwei

I never read South China Sea, but I heard good things about it. I just don't have the time to read the books, what with work and everything.

happypred

Sexual dimorphism aside...not seeing massive differences among these thee interpretations. The cultures aren't that much different. If someone thinks otherwise, please point out the significant cultural differences. I'm all ears

Xenomrph

Absolutely seconding this.
Predators aren't a homogeneous race.

LordCassusSnow

Next time someone should ask tim if he could draw us some concept art of the dog and slug aliens. And then the xenos that come from those dog aliens so neca can make aliens figures from them! Oh and i'd also like to see what the queen and soldier aliens looked like from the derelict in river of pain. They had to be different from the colony hive right? I mean, i dont think they were made from humans unless engineers abduct us...but I do remember a human being dissected on an engineer slab in one of the fire and stone comics...

Ultramorph

I would love someone to draw the dog-aliens.

The Alien Predator

I would love to see the Dog-Aliens as well as the Arcturians drawn.

LordCassusSnow

You have a great love of arcturians guan thwei. You seem to be screaming for more of that specific civilisation. But why? All we ever got from the films is that they seem to have both male and female organs that are compatible with ours unless...wait, are you ricco ross, man?? Are you just trolling us ricco ross??

The Alien Predator

I love it when this franchise introduces other alien races. My favourite bit from Fire and Stone is the panels that show Ahab hunting various aliens throughout the years. The four armed red skinned tribal aliens, the more advanced bug like race with technology that may be decades away from us currently, and then finally this race that wore full futuristic body armour and had holographic technology showing an Engineer.

This is why I loved Prometheus so much, it opened new doors for the franchise and has given us a perfectly valid excuse for why some aliens can be similar to us. I bet Engineers created Arcturians too.

We never knew what the Arcturians from "Aliens" were, many thought they were human colonists on Arcturus. That it was the red light district of space where Colonial Marines went to let off some steam.

But Sea of Sorrows confirms that the Arcturians were the first intelligent alien race that humanity met. Since then, my curiosity about the Arcturians has went through the roof. They were mentioned in River of Pain as being "Trading Partners" with humans. Tim Lebbon has also teased that he will mention the Arcturians but not feature them.

Perfect-Organism

You know if they introduce enough races, they could actually turn this into a very compelling TV series like a dark, cynical Star Trek...

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 02, 2015, 05:04:49 PM
You know if they introduce enough races, they could actually turn this into a very compelling TV series like a dark, cynical Star Trek...

I'd LOVE that.

The Rage War era technology is incredibly advanced and had a cool space battle with humans against the Yautja. The battles were pretty grounded and realistic as well. I always wanted to see ship weaponry in use in this franchise as it's something we hardly ever get to see.

The book says that "some areas of the galaxy thrive with life while others are barren and empty" with certain corners "haunted" by Xenomorphs who no doubt wiped everything out in their vicinity.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed