The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 234,020 times)

Ultramorph

Guan Thwei, I have to ask
Spoiler
do the Preds call us "oomans" at any point?
[close]

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on Oct 18, 2015, 08:55:48 PM
Guan Thwei, I have to ask
Spoiler
do the Preds call us "oomans" at any point?
[close]

Spoiler
Unfortunately they don't. They do say "humans" during their dialogue with the characters, but I think that's the translator. I did imagine when they said "human" that it sounded as "ooman".  ;D The dialogue is described as sounding similar to the Predator speech in the AvP 2010 game, consisting of various grunts, clicks, clacks and other noises, it is described by the humans as very complex as well so it's in no way primitive or simple. When they communicate with each other, they do tend to say very few words though.
[close]

When do you expect your book to arrive, Ultramorph? I hope you get it soon, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Ultramorph

Thanks for the info.  ;D Amazon says it will ship the 20th, so I'm hoping to have mine by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 18, 2015, 08:43:17 PM
Spoiler
They don't call themselves Yautja.

When they hear the word, they seem confused (Hashori was confused when Lilliya said "Yautja") and when Hashori said "Yautja", the pronunciation was so different that Lilliya's translator just registered it as the term.
[close]

I don't like the fact that part there was touched. Of course I'm going off on the first sentence you said but... what can you do?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Oct 18, 2015, 11:02:39 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 17, 2015, 05:06:51 PM
Urgh. Chapter 1 the marines call the Predators Yautja. I just died inside.

Yeah, that was my exact reaction too.

I'm over it now. I'm wrapped up in the plot of the book now.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 19, 2015, 07:17:06 AM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Oct 18, 2015, 11:02:39 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 17, 2015, 05:06:51 PM
Urgh. Chapter 1 the marines call the Predators Yautja. I just died inside.

Yeah, that was my exact reaction too.

I'm over it now. I'm wrapped up in the plot of the book now.

What are your thoughts on the plot so far?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 19, 2015, 07:17:06 AMI'm over it now. I'm wrapped up in the plot of the book now.

What exactly is the big issue people have with humans giving a name to the species in the book? Genuine question.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 19, 2015, 02:04:27 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 19, 2015, 07:17:06 AMI'm over it now. I'm wrapped up in the plot of the book now.

What exactly is the big issue people have with humans giving a name to the species in the book? Genuine question.

It's not the humans giving them a name. It's humans using the Yautja name from the Steve Perry novels. I dislike the Yautja culture and it also implies that there must of been some communication between the species for them to know what the Predators called themselves. And I dislike that too. I'd rather the hand signs from the comics.

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 19, 2015, 01:20:25 PM
What are your thoughts on the plot so far?

I'm only 100 pages or so in but I'm enjoying the setup so far. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. But I will say that the novel feels like a completely fresh take on Alien vs. Predator. Completely different feel to the narrative and universe.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 19, 2015, 02:35:32 PMIt's not the humans giving them a name. It's humans using the Yautja name from the Steve Perry novels. I dislike the Yautja culture and it also implies that there must of been some communication between the species for them to know what the Predators called themselves. And I dislike that too. I'd rather the hand signs from the comics.

Fair enough.

I guess personally I'd just assumed, whatever the word might have meant before, it had now just been adopted as a handy name for the species in the new book(s). Kinda like how Xenomorph wasn't the Alien's actual name until Sea of Sorrows/The W-Y Report.

Corporal Hicks

I take it you haven't read the AvP books?

HuDaFuK

Nope. Got them, not got round to reading them yet.

I gather Yautja was the name of their culture as much as the species in those. But I figured that meaning had kind of been forgotten with the new book and it had just been adopted as a name for the mandible-faces.

Corporal Hicks

It's the species name as far as those books are concerned. I just dislike the interpretation of their culture in those books. In Incursion it's what they call the Predators. They're not called Predators. The narrative hasn't explained how they know to call them that so far. So from my POV as someone who knows what Yautja are, it implies they've had some communication to know that the Predators refer to themselves as that and that this series' Predators are that society. Of course, it hasn't come up so far though.

It's me being a nitpicker because I don't like Perry's interpretation and because there might be some fans out there who don't cotton onto the Predator being Yautja until they get it in context and have to look it up and discover all this stuff about Prey, Hunter's Planet and War.

I'm sure some of the other guys are loving it though.

Ultramorph

My copy shipped this morning, so it looks like I'll have it tomorrow. Can't wait!

happypred

I vehemently disagree with those who claim Perry's Yautja are noble space samurai (the usual accusation against Perry's portrayal of the species)...they either haven't read the book properly or are stereotyping based on Machiko's Japanese ancestry.

That said, Dachande's individual character does resemble a noble space samurai in some ways.

Corporal Hicks

I'm not aiming to derail the thread into a Yautja argument but none of us have said that in here.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed