Washington Redskins Name Controversy

Started by Hubbs, Nov 05, 2014, 06:03:48 PM

Author
Washington Redskins Name Controversy (Read 4,391 times)

BANE

Quote from: Gate on Nov 06, 2014, 07:53:16 AM
Quote from: BANE on Nov 06, 2014, 12:56:57 AM
It's not racist. Nobody has used that term with hate in their mind since the 1800's other than the odd drunk dude or occasional real life troll.
That doesn't change the meaning of the word, Bane. You wouldn't use the swastika to represent peace simply because the Buddhists used it before the NSDP in Nazi Germany grabbed it. The reverse situation is the same. It will forever be haunting to people and carry a negative connotation.
It certainly does. Words only have as much power as you give them. The football team using the word to represent the strength and whatever characteristics football players are supposed to display for the public effectively reclaimed it and changed public opinion of it. This controversy is only dragging the word back into infamy.

And we should probably do the same with the swastika and other 'racist' words and symbols. Take away their power by associating them with other things. Constantly tip toeing around them and treating them like mines waiting to explode does nothing to improve anyone's situation. Associate them with something else, remove their negative power. That's what the football team did, but now this whole situation is reversing it. People on the television are starting to treat it like just another slur, refusing to say it. Not everyone, but it's started. Now the word has started to get it's negative power back, and that is NOT progress.

SM

SM

The swastika is still widely used for its original purpose in south Asia.

You'd be foolish to think it's going to mean anything other than Nazi for 99% of westerners though.  For a rather long time.

BANE

Doesn't mean it's not right to try and rid it of its horrid association with the nazis, but you are right on it taking a long time.

KirklandSignature

Quote from: SM on Nov 05, 2014, 11:55:34 PM
New teams next season - Alabama n***ers and LA Gooks.

and the London Sillinannies.

MrSpaceJockey

lol what about the fact that there have been actual tribes protesting against the name?  Are they sillinannies as well?

Celtics nowhere near as "offensive" at redskins...because it's not a racial slur.  The Blackhawks name is less offensive because they refer to an actual, historical Native American, Black Hawk. 

Deathbearer

I say leave the name alone. People will always find a way to blow a tiny thing like this out of proportion.

And since I am 1/8 Cherokee I am immune to your accusations of racism on this particular matter so ha.

SM

SM

Gee that 1/8th must've really suffered from persecution and discrimination...

Deathbearer

Quote from: SM on Nov 06, 2014, 10:28:21 PM
Gee that 1/8th must've really suffered from persecution and discrimination...

The struggle is real

whiterabbit

Quote from: Hubbs on Nov 06, 2014, 12:02:22 PMYep I knew where that was going the minute I read rainbow hehe. But surely the Cleveland Indians logo is 'racist' no? and what about the Blackhawks?
Yea the Indians logo is tad amount to black face. Blackhawks however is not much different than Patriots although... it is funny since are there any native American hockey players even on the team? I wouldn't know since i don't watch hockey but I'm suspecting not. Same deal with the redskins too I assume.

Hubbs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 07, 2014, 01:46:55 AM
Quote from: Hubbs on Nov 06, 2014, 12:02:22 PMYep I knew where that was going the minute I read rainbow hehe. But surely the Cleveland Indians logo is 'racist' no? and what about the Blackhawks?
Yea the Indians logo is tad amount to black face. Blackhawks however is not much different than Patriots although... it is funny since are there any native American hockey players even on the team? I wouldn't know since i don't watch hockey but I'm suspecting not. Same deal with the redskins too I assume.

Yes exactly so I don't get why everybody is ganging up on the Redskins  :o Why aren't people moaning about the Indians?

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: Hubbs on Nov 07, 2014, 03:35:20 PM

Yes exactly so I don't get why everybody is ganging up on the Redskins  :o Why aren't people moaning about the Indians?
Probably because the Redskins are the most flagrant example.

Hubbs

Quote from: Doktor_Wunderbar on Nov 08, 2014, 02:54:56 AM

Have you seen the Indians logo?

Magegg

I don't find "Redskin" demeaning, I find it badass  8)

Kel G 426

The Redskins should want to change their name.  It shouldn't even be a controversy.  They should be all embarrassed and say "Lol at us, let's change that shit right away".

And honestly, does anyone really need the difference between a slur and an actual tribal name explained to them?

Hubbs, I think that Indians logo should be changed as well.  Not sure if that helps your case.

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: Hubbs on Nov 08, 2014, 03:30:35 AM
Quote from: Doktor_Wunderbar on Nov 08, 2014, 02:54:56 AM

Have you seen the Indians logo?

People have moaned about the Indians.  Look it up.

Seeing stuff like this makes me cringe

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed