Ridley Scott Gives Update on Prometheus 2

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Sep 24, 2014, 04:05:16 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Gives Update on Prometheus 2 (Read 48,947 times)

Eva

Quote from: Blacklabel on Sep 29, 2014, 07:50:03 PM
in terrible, unimaginative ways :P

I'll take a flawed film based on someone attempting to try something new and different over a slick looking film based on someone repeating what's been done numerous times before any day.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Eva on Sep 30, 2014, 09:52:29 AMI'll take a flawed film based on someone attempting to try something new and different over a slick looking film based on someone repeating what's been done numerous times before any day.

What in Prometheus did you think was so new and exciting?

Eva

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 30, 2014, 10:00:39 AM
Quote from: Eva on Sep 30, 2014, 09:52:29 AMI'll take a flawed film based on someone attempting to try something new and different over a slick looking film based on someone repeating what's been done numerous times before any day.

What in Prometheus did you think was so new and exciting?

The exploration of the ancient astronaut theory?

Early android/artificial intelligence designs and how these beings will interact with their creators - us?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Eva on Sep 30, 2014, 10:10:47 AMThe exploration of the ancient astronaut theory?

Early android/artificial intelligence designs and how these beings will interact with their creators - us?

None of that seemed especially new to me. I've seen a bunch of films exploring those ideas. Many of them did it far better.

FYI, I wasn't trolling I was genuinely asking your opinion, based on the above :)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Eva on Sep 30, 2014, 10:10:47 AM

I would've loved it if they had made a decent stab at that... There are a lot of genuinely interesting dark legends about literal giant humanoids from the stars, which could have been capitalised upon to wonderful dramatic effect. Something which could have actually given thematic credence to the out-of-left-field decision to imply the Space Jockeys were, in fact, giant muscular men.

One more aspect to the production which made me feel it was a collection of squandered opportunities.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I'd hardly call that new and different.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

2001: A Space Odyssey already did that better than any other film ever would.

Eva

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 30, 2014, 04:58:30 PM

2001: A Space Odyssey already did that better than any other film ever would.

Yes, 2001 and Mission To Mars briefly touch the concept, but otherwise I know of no feature films that do, unless you wanna include whatever funny reference in some Star Trek, Doctor Who or whatever episode. But then again, there's probably 100s of sci-fi B-movies out there I've never heard about.

My point wasn't that it hadn't been done better; my point was that it is explored so rarely that it appears 'fresh' when someone takes a stab at it.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Stargate, various Star Trek episodes, X-Files, and even the fourth Indiana Jones film and Alien Vs. Predator featured variations on the theme. It's nothing new or 'rare' in cinema or television.

Eva

Quote from: Omegazilla on Sep 30, 2014, 05:47:20 PM
Stargate, various Star Trek episodes, X-Files, and even the fourth Indiana Jones film and Alien Vs. Predator featured variations on the theme. It's nothing new or 'rare' in cinema or television.

Well, I was talking about the specific theory that mankind was basically created by the intervention by an extra-terrestrial civilization. Not just a visitation or influencing us in certain aspects. ;)

Kimarhi

I would've liked Prometheus as a standalone. 

But using the Alien universe to bait us in is the very definition of cheap.

You could've done biomechanical space men without needlessly reintroducing the space jockeys and boneships from the original movie. 

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Eva on Sep 30, 2014, 06:12:00 PM
Well, I was talking about the specific theory that mankind was basically created by the intervention by an extra-terrestrial civilization. Not just a visitation or influencing us in certain aspects. ;)
That's more specific than just 'ancient astronauts' (which has a broader meaning).

Yet still, it's nothing new -- nor has it been explored in Prometheus in particularly significant ways. It isn't a matter really as being original does not factor in the quality of a film -- the issue is in the presentation, and that's up to our point of view I guess.  :)

Master

Quote from: Eva on Sep 30, 2014, 09:52:29 AM
Quote from: Blacklabel on Sep 29, 2014, 07:50:03 PM
in terrible, unimaginative ways :P

I'll take a flawed film based on someone attempting to try something new and different over a slick looking film based on someone repeating what's been done numerous times before any day.
So you would basically take half baked, not very tasty attempt on cake from someone who thinks he'll something delicious insted of very good yet certainly repetitive muffin? I'm not sure I get it.

Gash

Quote from: Master on Sep 30, 2014, 07:08:03 PM

So you would basically take half baked, not very tasty attempt on cake from someone who thinks he'll something delicious insted of very good yet certainly repetitive muffin? I'm not sure I get it.

Put like that I'm not sure I do either.

Kimarhi

She's said her piece.  No need to jump all over her for difference of opinion. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed