Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 133,436 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: happypred on Jan 28, 2015, 09:23:27 AM
Elden is a really annoying, repetitive, one-dimensional character IMO

I can't agree with you here as I'm loving him. A lot. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ties up and where they take him.

DarthJoker45

Here is another review for Predator #4. It is very positive. There are some major spoilers.

http://hulkingreviewer.com/home/reviews/predator-fire-stone-4/

Master

Just finished it.  I think it was best ending so far.

Spoiler
However I have hard time digesting Engineers skeleton survived such blast.
[close]

Looking forward to omega. I hope we'll have proper ending for whole story in it. Elden, Alien Queen and maybe deacon included.

RakaiThwei

So.. since I haven't read the Predator series. Anyone want to tell me..

Spoiler
What the relationship between the Predators and Engineers are? And how Ahab manages to kill the Engineer?
[close]

Master

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 28, 2015, 07:00:45 PM
So.. since I haven't read the Predator series. Anyone want to tell me..

Spoiler
What the relationship between the Predators and Engineers are? And how Ahab manages to kill the Engineer?
[close]

Spoiler
There is no relationship suggested. Predator kills Engineer with his wrist bomb, after a heavy fight and human help.
[close]

RakaiThwei

So Ahab...

Spoiler
Doesn't really get a trophy considering how he kills the Engineer? I was hoping to hear that he ripped out it's spine!
[close]

Master

Read my post second post above.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Master on Jan 28, 2015, 07:57:18 PM

I saw that just now and I just have to say this...

....What?!

Spoiler
Engineers skeletons are THAT durable?
[close]

Master

Spoiler
At point blank range...
[close]

RakaiThwei

Master

predxeno

Quote from: Master on Jan 28, 2015, 05:01:07 PM
Just finished it.  I think it was best ending so far.

Spoiler
However I have hard time digesting Engineers skeleton survived such blast.
[close]

Looking forward to omega. I hope we'll have proper ending for whole story in it. Elden, Alien Queen and maybe deacon included.

Don't forget Russell. ;)

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 28, 2015, 08:16:39 PM
Quote from: Master on Jan 28, 2015, 07:57:18 PM

I saw that just now and I just have to say this...

....What?!

Spoiler
Engineers skeletons are THAT durable?
[close]

I was actually thinking the same thing.  Since Engineer and human DNA are a perfect match for each other, I'm asking why aren't our skeletons like that?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I picked up the digital version of Predator #4 today, and I thought it was a great finale to the strong Predator: FaS series. Full review, with spoilers, below.

Spoiler
Let me start by saying that this miniseries proves that Prometheus can be mixed with A/v/P without diluting the identity of those series. If AvP: FaS didn't really work as an AvP story, Predator: FaS succeeded as a Predator story of the most classic kind. Ahab's prey may have been an Engineer, and the hunting ground may have been LV-223, but at heart this was a Predator story.

I found Ahab refreshing as a character. He may have teamed up with Galgo when it convenient for him, but Williamson was very successful in differentiating him from Scar, or even Broken Tusk. Ahab is no space samurai, and the scene where he's preparing to suicidally blow up the Perses in order to bring down the Engineer really conveys how mad he is in his quest after the White Whale. He earns his nickname here, and I hope that we get to see more of him in future series. I also liked how Williamson held off on having Ahab use his human vocal mimicry until a key moment in the confrontation with the Engineer. That was a very neat nod to the first two Predator films.

As far as the actual fight between Ahab and the Engineer, I found it pretty satisfying, and Mooneyham's art was well suited to showing just how brutal a confrontation it is. I loved the image of Ahab with the Engineer's skull, as well as the final image of him battling that giant millipede creature. It was neat to see Ahab use his invisibility and barbed projectiles to his advantage. The way the Engineer just keeps coming despite all his injuries was effective at communicating just how powerful they are, and between this comic and the film, I like how the Engineers have been portrayed as so quick to anger that they will put themselves into deadly situations pursuing and trying to pummel to death something that has angered them. These are clearly not tender loving gods.

It was nice, if eminently predictable, to see Galgo come to Ahab's rescue, and his character has grown on me, even if he is fairly one-dimensional. He showed good growth, finally facing a fight rather than running away.

As far as the ending, it was quite cool to have a Predator comic where the main Predator lives to hunt another day, and I thought the ending was a nice bookend while also working as an enticing tease for what we can expect in Omega. Hopefully DeConnick can wrap up the numerous loose ends and deliver a satisfying conclusion to FaS. At least we only have to wait another two weeks!
[close]

happypred

Ol' Ahab might be a bit old and decrepit but
Spoiler
he is one tough motherfu__er himself, considering how much damage he survives. He's also back in shape for giant centipede-hunting in a fairly short time. I hope Ahab doesn't kick the bucket in Omega. It would be nice to have a recurring predator character
[close]

RakaiThwei

So the fight between Ahab and the Engineer wasn't one sided?

Hmmmm.. GOOD!! I was worried that it was going to be considering that the same Engineer laid waste to piles and piles of Xenomorphs, seemingly with his bare hands from what I know.. which is little as it is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed