Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 134,298 times)

Ultramorph

I thoroughly enjoyed Predator #2. We're a bit over halfway through Fire and Stone, and I think the best is yet to come.

Spoiler
Williamson knocked it out of the park with the relationship between Galgo and Ahab. It's refreshing to have a Predator with some attitude. The art was also quite good. Ahab looks raw, which again, is a nice change from some of the cleaner Predators we've seen recently, including in the AvP arm of FaS.

I have to say, the release order has won me over. It's clear at this point how methodically this was micro-planned. In AvP #2 we were left wondering how Elden and the xenomorphs came together in the first place, and that was answered the following week in Prometheus #3. That issue left us with Galgo bailing on Angela and crew, and now a week later, we have him returning to deal with the consequences of those actions. DH is really making the non-linear storytelling work much better than we could have expected.

I'm also very much digging how Williamson has combined a very traditional "Predator in the jungle" story with a creeping sense of unease ala Prometheus. The piles of dead xenomorphs is definitely troubling, and works extremely well for foreshadowing how much of a hard time Ahab is going to have taking down the Engineer. Predator #4 and Prometheus Omega are going to be intense.

It will also be cool to see how Angela and the other survivors gel with the main duo.

Overall, I think it's safe to say that the final half of FaS is going to be quite explosive.
[close]

SM

Spoiler
I agree that the release order is working really well so far.  And it's almost like a nightmare where everything you do just brings you back to where you started.  As annoying as Angela has been in Prometheus, I'm glad that she may have some chance at payback on Galgo.
[close]

happypred

Spoiler
...as in become Galgo's love interest?
[close]

SM

Spoiler
You've just discovered a way for her to become even more annoying.
[close]

happypred

Spoiler
Ladies love a bad boy who shows that he cares
[close]

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Just finished Alien: Fire and Stone #3. Solid comic. Def the best of the Alien ones, and some nice payoff given the amount of talking/exposition in Issue 2.

Enjoyed the hell out of the last few pages.

happypred

Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Nov 25, 2014, 02:07:32 AM
Just finished Alien: Fire and Stone #3. Solid comic. Def the best of the Alien ones, and some nice payoff given the amount of talking/exposition in Issue 2. Enjoyed the hell out of the last few pages.

Would you mind posting some spoilers?

orchidal

I've read the first issue of most of these but put them on hold for now...waiting til Prophet: Earth War begins/concludes to make time for any other comics. What I'd really like to know is: do the Fire and Stone comics become /more original in storyline as they proceed on or does it feel like a rehash/recycling of tropes (my 1st impressions)? Also, are the Engineers explored in greater detail or are they about as developed as in the film?

SM

They probably are recycling tropes, but the way it's presented by teasing out bits of the story across different timeframes makes it seem quite fresh.

Nightmare Asylum

I haven't touched a single issue of this, but I'm quite curious. Do you think it will hold up if I were to get the TPBs when all is said and done and read them as individual stories, or do they kind of have to be read in the intertwined way they were released to get the full effect?

Also, do the Predators feel tacked on to the overall story in any way? Because that's one of the things that I feel kind of wary about, since this seems to be primarily Alien/Prometheus mythology heavy and I was kind of hoping that Fox try to move the franchises farther apart post-AVPR/Predators/Prometheus.

SM

The setting is very obviously Alien centred.  They don't feel tacked on at the moment, but then I'm not a big Predator fan anyway.

I don't know how they'll pan out in TPB format.  Be interesting to see which telling of the story works better.

Nightmare Asylum

Good to hear that the Predators don't really feel intrusive, even to a non-fan.

I'm assuming they'll do an Omnibus-type compilation at some point as well. It'll be interesting to see how they lay out the stories in there. By series (most likely), by release, date, in some sort of chronological order...

SM

I'll qualify by saying I thought their introduction was a bit arbitrary, but once it gets going it seems okay.

Nightmare Asylum

I'm assuming it's something convenient like them just happening to show up for a hunting trip when the humans arrive?

SM

No.

But considering how vast the cosmos is, it's still convenient.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed