Dark Horse Interview - New Comic

Started by Xenomorphine, Aug 23, 2014, 02:00:11 AM

Author
Dark Horse Interview - New Comic (Read 84,132 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Jan 14, 2015, 03:56:53 PM
He either lied or failed miserably...take your pick

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: happypred on Jan 14, 2015, 03:56:53 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2015, 09:51:11 AMI don't think its fair to say he can't write AvP. I just think, over-all, they weren't attempting to.

He either lied or failed miserably...take your pick

To be fair on the fella, there was some early on.

But like we've said, it just shouldn't have been called Alien vs Predator.

vikingspawn

Any news yet on the next round of upcoming books (Aliens/Prometheus/AVP) after Fire & Stone?   Besides Archie vs. Predator.

I'd like to have year round Aliens comics coming.

???

Ultramorph

Quote from: Quarax on Jan 18, 2015, 04:08:52 AM
Have these already been posted?:

I don't see Omega in any of those TPBs. I wonder if that's hinting at a single-volume Fire and Stone collection or omnibus at some later date.
Quote from: vikingspawn on Jan 18, 2015, 05:06:21 PM
Any news yet on the next round of upcoming books (Aliens/Prometheus/AVP) after Fire & Stone?   Besides Archie vs. Predator.

I'd like to have year round Aliens comics coming.

???

No word on anything beyond Archie vs Predator. Maybe we'll get something in late 2015, but I wouldn't count on it. Dark Horse is probably going to wait and see how the FaS TPBs sell before they make any decisions about future series.

That being said, I would love if they did another Prometheus book.

vikingspawn

I'm surprised there aren't any more title announcements now that the current books are finishing their final issues.  The relaunch has been selling pretty well for Dark Horse since they lost the Star wars license.  I thought the Star Wars void would open up more monthly publishing for the Aliens line.  They need something for Summer at least.

RakaiThwei

Well you have to remember, Alien-Predator is not necessarily as popular as Star Wars. Infact, most of what Dark Horse had put out was mostly nothing BUT Star Wars and that was their strongest seller I believe. Now that the Star Wars license left behind a void, Dark Horse has decided to create more superhero titles. Infact.. I don't see Alien-Predator becoming a regular thing but instead being pumped out to promote the movies more and more. When Shane's movie comes out as well as the Prometheus sequel, I can guarantee you that we will see an influx of comics but nothing on going.

vikingspawn

There were really only 4 Star Wars rotating titles at a time per month at Dark Horse and everything else has been creator owned stuff and their recent superhero line sank like a stone.   Now Buffy and "Fire & Stone" are their best sellers since Star Wars left last August:

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/30647/top-300-comics-actual-december-2014

I remember when Aliens/Predator had several minis all the a time during the '90s.  Those were the days.  I'd like to see them return back to that kind of output especially since there have been several year gaps without any new books at all.     

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Yeah, the notion that Dark Horse was living off of Star Wars was a myth. Mike Richardson has said that it basically only amounted to 6% of their income. Even if some creative accounting was involved in getting that number, they were still probably getting hit hard by licensing fees for Star Wars.

I hope DH has a prosperous future ahead of it, and that Alien and Predator are a part of it.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: vikingspawn on Jan 19, 2015, 11:29:00 PMNow Buffy and "Fire & Stone" are their best sellers since Star Wars left last August

Hellboy is their bestseller, followed by Buffy and AvP

HELLBOY AND THE BPRD #1
$3.50
DAR

BTVS SEASON 10 #10
$3.50
DAR

ALIEN VS PREDATOR FIRE AND STONE #3
$3.50
DAR

PROMETHEUS FIRE AND STONE #4
$3.50
DAR

ALIENS FIRE AND STONE #4
$3.50
DAR

PREDATOR FIRE AND STONE #3
$3.50
DAR

I really hope Sebela hasn't poisoned the well.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 20, 2015, 12:22:08 AM
I hope DH has a prosperous future ahead of it, and that Alien and Predator are a part of it.

Just quoting you but replying to multiple points. I don't think Aliens/vs/Predator/Prometheus has the story power for an on-going. I'd be interested to see someone try and make a fool of me. But I think a return to the golden age is possible where we've got multiple 4/6 issue stories going.

But I'd really like to see them try and explore new angles. I'd also like to see stories void of Prometheus influence but I'd still like to see that series explored.

happypred

happypred

To really build a new comic book EU based on the A/P/AvP/Prom franchise, DH would have to expand the mythos.

If you keep the predators and the aliens mysterious, your storytelling is limited to pretty much what DH has done before. I feel like AvP must evolve into something like StarCraft or Mass Effect to sustain a long-running series or even multiple miniseries over a number of years.

Writers have to start digging deep into the franchise, flesh out the universe. Without further expansion, there's only room for the ol' mad scientist (Aliens) or random hunt (Predator) or random hunt with aliens (AvP) stories.   

Perhaps Prometheus will be the key to unlocking the potential of the franchise.

Corporal Hicks

Completely agree there. Problem of course is, the films.

I always thought the key was introducing something specific to the EU and then exploring from there. For example, the Engineer's created us. Let's introduce another species they created and start to explore them, their relation to the Aliens and etc. It's a little non-specific but you get the drift. It would hopefully avoid conflict with potential future films but allow for expansion of the mythos in an EU exclusive way.

It's why I really hope Titan actually take these new dog-Aliens and do something with them.

Russ

Russ

I started reading Fire and Stone recently. I have to say that I was blown away by Aliens and Prometheus, I really think these nailed the film atmosphere.

AvP (ironically) not so much. The predators just aren't doing it for me in these issues... maybe because I can't really ascertain any characterisation, they're just predators going around killing stuff as usual.

However, I've not finished yet, so maybe things will turn around (I've to to the bit where Galgo is giving his captor some grief whilst suspended).

But the first two books were great, I absolutely loved them - and am looking forward to a re-read.

Once done with the comics, I'm going on to the new Aliens novel trilogy (are these connected with the comics - this is a lengthy thread and I've not yet read it, I've been avoiding novel and Fire and Stone threads till I've read them is all).

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ on Jan 20, 2015, 09:53:37 AM
AvP (ironically) not so much. The predators just aren't doing it for me in these issues... maybe because I can't really ascertain any characterisation, they're just predators going around killing stuff as usual.

Biggest problem is it's not an AvP story.

QuoteOnce done with the comics, I'm going on to the new Aliens novel trilogy (are these connected with the comics - this is a lengthy thread and I've not yet read it, I've been avoiding novel and Fire and Stone threads till I've read them is all).

There's some minor connections in the 3rd novel to the Aliens series but nothing major. More just acknowledging some of the characters and the Onager.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed