Dark Horse Interview - New Comic

Started by Xenomorphine, Aug 23, 2014, 02:00:11 AM

Author
Dark Horse Interview - New Comic (Read 83,352 times)

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 13, 2015, 10:37:29 AM
We'll have to disagree on this one, my friend.

Yeah

QuoteSam Keith's work in Female War just disgusts me.

That's exactly how I feel about TWW's art. I found Female War's art to be rather cartoonish but it didn't strike me as appallingly bad.

I think we agree that the art below is some of the highest quality art to grace the franchise

Ultramorph

Agreed. If Ferreyra and Alessio were contracted to do every new A/v/P/Prometheus comic for as long as they live, I'd be happy. The writing on FaS can definitely be criticized, but I think Dark Horse really took complaints about the art on previous events seriously when they were putting together the FaS team.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: happypred on Jan 13, 2015, 03:02:55 PM
That's exactly how I feel about TWW's art. I found Female War's art to be rather cartoonish but it didn't strike me as appallingly bad.

The problem is it follows on from Nightmare Asylum which is easily one of the most gorgeous Aliens comic. So the severse drop in quality is quite noticeable and doesn't benefit the story in anyway - as opposed to what I feel 3WW does.

DarthJoker45

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 13, 2015, 04:02:09 PM
Agreed. If Ferreyra and Alessio were contracted to do every new A/v/P/Prometheus comic for as long as they live, I'd be happy. The writing on FaS can definitely be criticized, but I think Dark Horse really took complaints about the art on previous events seriously when they were putting together the FaS team.

From the reviews that I have read for each series, the writing has been quite solid except for the AVP title of course. I wouldn't mind for Roberson, Tobin, and especially Williamson to return to write their respective books. Just replace Sebela with someone who actually gets AVP.

Ultramorph

I would love Williamson to do more Predator stories with Ahab. And yeah, Roberson and Tobin wrote their respective series well. It will be interesting to see if Dark Horse does more Prometheus comics in the future, or if this was a one-off thing.

Corporal Hicks

It was Aliens I disliked. It just didn't seem to go anywhere or really matter.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 13, 2015, 04:42:50 PM
It was Aliens I disliked. It just didn't seem to go anywhere or really matter.

It definitely ended abruptly, but I like how Russel's theories planted the seeds for what Francis would do to Elden.

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

I can understand how you feel due to the abrupt ending, but what made it such an impressive book was how they captured the survival-horror elements of the Aliens franchise. Instead of following the formula of Cameron's film, they really followed the formula of Scott's film while tying it into the setting of Prometheus. I also do not think that they are going to leave the Aliens book in the dark. There are too many loose ends that were not explored in the other books.

Spoiler
A perfect example is the queen. I am going to assume that Ahab, Angela, and Galgo are going to have to face her. Also, let us not forget about the Deacons. What would be really cool is if the Deacons and the xenos have some kind of hive war going on like in Genocide with our respective protagonists in the mix.
[close]

Ultramorph

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Jan 13, 2015, 04:52:06 PM
Spoiler
A perfect example is the queen. I am going to assume that Ahab, Angela, and Galgo are going to have to face her. Also, let us not forget about the Deacons. What would be really cool is if the Deacons and the xenos have some kind of hive war going on like in Genocide with our respective protagonists in the mix.
[close]

Spoiler
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing if/how DeConnick handles the Deacon. From the trailer and preview, it looks like we'll be getting some cool beasties.
[close]

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 13, 2015, 04:02:09 PM

Mooneyham is solid as well. He draws Ahab really well. The scene with Ahab vs. the four-armed aliens is done exceptionally well

I think the Aliens artist is OK

Olivetti...his art isn't bad. His predators and aliens are just odd-looking. Everything else looks fine.

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Jan 13, 2015, 04:37:43 PMFrom the reviews that I have read for each series, the writing has been quite solid except for the AVP title of course.

Sebela doesn't get AvP, which is about showing how deadly the two species are...that hunter vs. prey dynamic (both are hunters and both are prey). Aliens vs. Predator should be the main event, mutants should be the sideshow. Sebela provides the opposite. 

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Quote from: happypred on Jan 14, 2015, 02:00:00 AM
Sebela doesn't get AvP, which is about showing how deadly the two species are...that hunter vs. prey dynamic (both are hunters and both are prey). Aliens vs. Predator should be the main event, mutants should be the sideshow. Sebela provides the opposite.

I agree. In all honesty, AVP is the one book that should not have been added in this event. It doesn't further the overall story in any way, and it turned Elden from an interesting character in the Prometheus story to a babbling idiot spouting out all kinds of rhetoric. I liked him in the first two issues, but his character just became too preachy with poor dialog in issues three and four.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: happypred on Jan 14, 2015, 02:00:00 AM

I don't think that's really the problem. The problem is the story they're trying to tell and at its core, it's just not about the two creatures knocking heads. It's about Elden, it's about Francis and it's about the accelerant. It just doesn't work when one of the series is titled Aliens vs. Predator. Should have been titled differently.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2015, 08:19:34 AMI don't think that's really the problem.

Well...it kinda is the problem when the series is titled "AvP". You're expecting Aliens vs. Predator to take centre stage

I'm not saying a writer couldn't write a good story about mutants with some Aliens vs. Predator action going on in the background. I'm saying that

1. Such a story shouldn't be titled "AvP"
2. Sebela's mutant story is bad

Corporal Hicks

We're half agreeing here. I completely agree it shouldn't be called AvP. The nature of the story they wanted to tell meant it wasn't. I don't think its fair to say he can't write AvP. I just think, over-all, they weren't attempting to. Fire and Stone has been an exercise on playing with the Prometheus influences. The titles have been somewhat misleading TBH.

I haven't had a chance to finish reading all of AvP yet so I can't really comment on its over all quality but I have enjoyed #1-3 so far.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2015, 09:51:11 AMI don't think its fair to say he can't write AvP. I just think, over-all, they weren't attempting to.

He either lied or failed miserably...take your pick

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed