Dark Horse Interview - New Comic

Started by Xenomorphine, Aug 23, 2014, 02:00:11 AM

Author
Dark Horse Interview - New Comic (Read 83,334 times)

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 13, 2014, 07:56:20 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure why they've separated them into individual titles. It's one long story.

That was the one thing I didn't like about the whole "reboot". I would have preferred standalone stories that made references to the other stories. I especially didn't like how "Prometheus heavy" the story was. Unless the stories get significantly better and Prometheus free, I will be passing on future Aliens, Predator, and AVP titles.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Visceral_Mass on Dec 15, 2014, 03:59:36 PM
Unless the stories get significantly better and Prometheus free, I will be passing on future Aliens, Predator, and AVP titles.

I feel you.. But considering that everything is being either rebooted or rewritten, and possibly cherry picked to accomodate Prometheus.. Expect a lot of Prometheus themes to be in many titles. Especially the Alien and potentially AvP titles. The new Alien novels have some subtle, and sometimes direct ties to Prometheus.

Corporal Hicks

Whilst I don't feel the film was executed as well as it should have been, I do like a lot of elements it brought forward. And it's refreshing to see the new media use them because I was getting bored of the same old schtick.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 15, 2014, 07:55:15 PM
Whilst I don't feel the film was executed as well as it should have been, I do like a lot of elements it brought forward. And it's refreshing to see the new media use them because I was getting bored of the same old schtick.

I agree with that. The new comics are doing some interesting things with the black goo, and the new novels seem to be setting up more involvement with races like the Arcturians. I'm really curious to see if Dark Horse does any more Prometheus comics, or whether elements of Prometheus like the accelerant show up in later Alien/Predator comics. I definitely get why some fans are turned off by all the changes, but I agree that it's nice to have some new stuff after a lot of the samey EU we've gotten over the years.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 15, 2014, 08:00:31 PM
I definitely get why some fans are turned off by all the changes, but I agree that it's nice to have some new stuff after a lot of the samey EU we've gotten over the years.

Personally, I don't like the changes. I almost actually feel like a "bad fan" and that I should turn in my membership card just for not really liking these changes. I prefer the old stuff because for me that's where the "true" AvP is.

Son Of Kane

Son Of Kane

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 15, 2014, 08:05:57 PM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 15, 2014, 08:00:31 PM
I definitely get why some fans are turned off by all the changes, but I agree that it's nice to have some new stuff after a lot of the samey EU we've gotten over the years.

Personally, I don't like the changes. I almost actually feel like a "bad fan" and that I should turn in my membership card just for not really liking these changes. I prefer the old stuff because for me that's where the "true" AvP is.

What changes may I ask?

I disliked the corniness of the old EU intensely and it looks like despite how good the art is for these comics they also carry the same corniness as well as the new book trilogy, Predator/Human team up, memory wipe - small Aliens etc

Unless I'm mistaken and the execution is a lot better this time round- I don't see a difference between the two EU's.

Visceral_Mass

I thought the story was uninspired and at times felt "lazy" and that a large part of it was the same old sci fi schtick that has been used in countless genre movies over the years. The only thing it had going for it was beautiful cinematography. Other than that I thought it was an "OK" monster movie.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Dec 15, 2014, 08:24:40 PM
What changes may I ask?

They essentially New 52'ed everything. And what I mean is by that, is how they essentially decided to wipe the slate clean and start over just to accommodate Prometheus. So not only are they starting over, but they're sort of also cherry picking as well since apparently, Newts Tale is also accounted for in one of the Titan books.

Son Of Kane

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Visceral_Mass on Dec 15, 2014, 08:39:04 PM

I thought the story was uninspired and at times felt "lazy" and that a large part of it was the same old sci fi schtick that has been used in countless genre movies over the years. The only thing it had going for it was beautiful cinematography. Other than that I thought it was an "OK" monster movie.

I agree, although David's character and my preference for the look of the film versus AVP or A:R for instance puts it on a higher pedestal than it perhaps should be at an objective standard- and I'm also thankful for it reviving the Alien franchise recently.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 15, 2014, 08:42:09 PM
Quote from: Son Of Kane on Dec 15, 2014, 08:24:40 PM
What changes may I ask?

They essentially New 52'ed everything. And what I mean is by that, is how they essentially decided to wipe the slate clean and start over just to accommodate Prometheus. So not only are they starting over, but they're sort of also cherry picking as well since apparently, Newts Tale is also accounted for in one of the Titan books.

I don't see the problem, if they have someone with good taste that is directing the whole affair that is- leaving stuff like AVP:R to rot in a ditch where it belongs along with ACM comics.

And "cherry picking" the good such as Newt's Tale.

happypred

happypred

I really hope Prometheus 2 isn't shit

I can't say the first one is garbage...but it could've been so much more other than pretty cinematography and some symbolism here and there. Characters, plot, and tension decide the greatness of almost any movie. Prometheus doesn't really rise above the pack in any of those regards 

Ultramorph

Ariel Olivetti has released a preview of AvP #4, and we get a better look at what's happening to a certain character. Spoiler warning.

Spoiler
[close]

Joshua Williamson has also released a small preview of Ahab's battle with the white whale. Also spoilers.

Spoiler
[close]

RakaiThwei

Okay...

Spoiler
Francis sort of reminds of Slash from the IDW TMNT series rather than a creature from Prometheus. Especially with the bone plastron which is forming on his chest and abdomen region. And are the mutated Predator and Francis teaming up or duking it out?

And Ahab vs the Engineer.. Okay, I'm hoping that this will be a toss up of a fight where both sides are treated evenly. And not something like Creed vs Drago. I know that the Engineers are supposed to be the big boss, but hopefully Ahab will be displayed as being tough enough to hang with an Engineer. I mean for one Engineer to take on droves of Xenomorphs with bare hands? Eeeeeeh.. I'm no Alien fan but I would've thought one would provide a fight.
[close]

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Spoiler
I'm really not sure how I feel about the design of Francis. I like Elden, and the black goo Predator has a certain appeal, but I agree, Francis is looking a bit too much like a deranged Ninja Turtle here. I'll reserve a final judgement until the issue comes out, of course.

As far as the fight with Ahab, I have to echo one of the reviews for Predator #3 by saying that I hope the Engineer uses some technology and wits in the fight, rather than just beating on Ahab with his bare hands like we see in that preview panel.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 21, 2014, 01:08:13 AM
Spoiler
As far as the fight with Ahab, I have to echo one of the reviews for Predator #3 by saying that I hope the Engineer uses some technology and wits in the fight, rather than just beating on Ahab with his bare hands like we see in that preview panel.
[close]

Why? It would be totally in character and a-typically Predator for Ahab to challenge him to a fist fight.

Ultramorph

CBR has released a preview of AvP #4. Beware of spoilers.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=25258

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed