Alien: Isolation at Gamescon 2014 - New CGI Trailer, Screenshots and B-roll

Started by ikarop, Aug 08, 2014, 06:22:51 PM

Author
Alien: Isolation at Gamescon 2014 - New CGI Trailer, Screenshots and B-roll (Read 45,933 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Wow yes, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out. Lots of people have been up-in-arms about the legs but this is even more bizarre.

The original Alien costume tail also drags on the floor a bit but it is correctly proportioned to the rest of its body:

What if this alien was in the beginning stages of morphing into a queen? Could it explain the legs, hunched over posture, large size and excessively long tail?

Adam802

the way I see it, the xenomorph species can come in different shapes/sizes just like humans can.  Its easy to believe that a different alien could have different legs or a longer tail or be slightly taller...

MrSpaceJockey

Don't think it's turning into a queen; CA seems to be keeping references to the other films as small as possible and the proportions would still be off tail/leg-wise if that's all we're going on for the theory.

I think it's just artistic license.  But that tail is crazy.  Like the alien-picking-up-the-predator-with-its-super-long-tail-in-AvP crazy.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

They've already got Amanda Ripley in there which is not exactly a small reference.

robbritton

The Alien is different in every film it appears in, why not this one? It's a ten foot one with animal legs and a super long tail. Why not? As long as it works in motion in game, and doesn't keep getting it caught in doors or anything, I'll not lose any sleep over it.

thecaffeinatedone

Not enough data to confirm if tail-stabbing or not I'm afraid.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 15, 2014, 01:05:27 PM
They've already got Amanda Ripley in there which is not exactly a small reference.

It is a small reference.  She's a character who has only been glimpsed at for a few seconds in a photograph in the special edition version of the film, and is pretty unknown to the "general consumer."  Not to mention Aliens influence is further negated in that the devs said what we saw in the special edition version of Aliens may not necessarily be the character's same fate (that we the players, shouldn't be so sure that Amanda survives this game because the photo we see in Aliens could be a corporate coverup etc, etc).  Not so much Aliens influence as all small reference to a name we've heard before.

ikarop

http://youtu.be/bGpwonNgFSY#t=17m05s

You can see the tail in action there. It's so long the motion is fully tentacle-like. Doesn't look as bulky as in the pic tho. The way it's set up it probably stretches depending on the motion so it'll look a little different in every other image.

acrediblesource

with that part of the video I like the commentary about needing to break the monotony of playing for hours in one locale and entering something different. (ie, Nostromo to planet side to derrelict corridors to derrelicts egg chamber)
I wouldn't be entirely bummed if they negated this effect in return for a cohesive ship side story but I would actually love to see their take on the derrelict ship if they ever get to the point of going on Lv426 knowing that Ripley had stopped there.

MrSpaceJockey

Well at the least the Sevastopol will have different "themed" sections of the station - the crew quarters will look different than the more lab/med bay rooms and so on.  It would be great if they took this further and we got some green houses or something. 

Space Sweeper

"Like the movie does, it has a very fever dream or nightmare style atmosphere to it, and what it feels like to leave the game for a day and then come back to finish it, or play it again, it immediately felt like I was back into a recurring nightmare."

And just like that, I was completely sold.

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 15, 2014, 10:53:58 AM
Quote from: ikarop on Aug 15, 2014, 10:37:07 AM
I think I may have mentioned it before but it bothers me that the tail is so overly long. You can't even see the end of it in this pic:

Agreed, that tail looks ridiculous. Are there any other screenshots that corroborates this? Maybe this was an early WIP?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2014, 10:47:24 AM
Must have replied to one of those growth emails.  :P

Then his head would have been bigger.  :laugh:

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Aug 14, 2014, 11:01:49 PM
I really like the actress they motion capped for Amanda Ripley. She reminds me of a Ripley offspring.

Hip's too broad, butt's too big. (unless she inherited those from her father)
This is what Ripley offspring looks like:

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/legacy/i/partypictures/05_16_08/BaldeBerceaux/BaldeBerceaux12.jpg

Not literally just like Ripley, but I feel like I can see some Ripley in her.

Ferazel

In one of the previews it mentions that tailing the Alien was the best way to elude it. So maybe the tail is that long for gameplay reasons. To hide an AI that never checks behind itself.  ::)

szkoki

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed