‘Alien 5’ Planned? Sigourney Weaver Wants To Resolve Ripley’s Story

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jul 27, 2014, 03:10:24 AM

Author
‘Alien 5’ Planned? Sigourney Weaver Wants To Resolve Ripley’s Story (Read 39,735 times)

Russ

Pyramid interiors and fake snow are cheaper than space ship interiors and cgi space/alienscapes, I guess? I'm still not convinced that you need hundreds of millions to create an effective future look - but as I said, having hundreds of millions would certainly make it easier.

HuDaFuK

It all adds up I guess. I just heard the reason the film was set in the present (thereby totally undermining the fact no one was supposed to have seen the Alien before the Nostromo) was to save money.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Russ on Jul 31, 2014, 02:00:57 PM
I'm not sure the point you're making. I cited the game as an example of her knowing the character and suggested that if she wrote or directed an Alien film, that'd be interesting (or ace).

You then say "that's just what she did on Aliens" citing the game example.

I don't understand

No, I cited the film example. Meaning that it is something she's been doing since Aliens and that her extensive input on Ripley in A:I is not unique in anyway.

Knowing the Ripley character very well doesn't automatically qualify her as a director nor scriptwriter.

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 31, 2014, 04:51:59 PM
Knowing the Ripley character very well doesn't automatically qualify her as a director nor scriptwriter.

I agree.  :)  It does qualify her on knowing what Ripley would or would not do.

I'm revisiting the ALIEN Quad special features. Jeunet wanted Sigourney to do something (not revealed) in ALIEN Resurrection and she refused because the character wouldn't do that. It must have been way off (maybe more of the dark humor?:P) being Ripley 8 is not the Ripley of the previous films.

Winona Ryder said she has like 20 notebooks on Ripley. Maybe one day some of her diaries will find its way to a special features section on disc or a book about Ripley & her experiences playing her. 8)

SiL

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2014, 03:03:31 PM
It all adds up I guess. I just heard the reason the film was set in the present (thereby totally undermining the fact no one was supposed to have seen the Alien before the Nostromo) was to save money.
Davis, the producer, wanted it on Earth because he thought it would be scarier, according to him on one of the making-of documentaries for the first movie.

Russ

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 31, 2014, 04:51:59 PM

No, I cited the film example. Meaning that it is something she's been doing since Aliens and that her extensive input on Ripley in A:I is not unique in anyway.

Because of course, no actor ever has written a film or directed one.

At any rate, I'm not sure I said it automatically qualifies her. I said it'd be interesting. And ace. Though, if she was going to do that sort of thing, I guess she would have done it by now.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I doubt anyone would get handed anything north of $50 million for a film without a proven directorial track record in either film or television/commercials.

Russ

I just think you're being obtuse now.

Eva

Quote from: SiL on Jul 31, 2014, 08:51:47 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2014, 03:03:31 PM
Davis, the producer, wanted it on Earth because he thought it would be scarier, according to him on one of the making-of documentaries for the first movie.

I still can't believe 20th Century Fox handed over 2 of their most iconic franchises to a bunch of twats with so little understanding of what made the original movies work in the first place.

Twice.

MH-875

Quote from: Eva on Aug 02, 2014, 12:59:57 AM

I still can't believe 20th Century Fox handed over 2 of their most iconic franchises to a bunch of twats with so little understanding of what made the original movies work in the first place.

Twice.

Are you surprised?  Generally speaking aren't sequels (as well prequels and reboots for that matter) expected to not live up to the original because enough in the past have not?

I'm a bit cynical about this.  I am not at all surprised that 20th Century Fox would do what it thought would bring it money.  I do not understand how it, as an entity, could have any passion for a particular franchise beyond its capacity to make money.  So what if maybe an exec here or there has fond memories of a particular film and wants to see its presequelboot "done right".  Does that one person alone get to choose scripts, directors and then sign the checks?

What would surprise me is if, after 20th does whatever it feels it needs to do to get Alien 5 filmed and released, I walked away from watching it the first time thinking "Holy crap.  That was it.  That was everything that made Alien so damned haunting, dialed to 11." 

I will not hold my breath. 

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Russ on Aug 01, 2014, 06:21:58 AM

It has happened  "Good Will Hunting" written by Ben Affleck & Matt Damon. It won 2 academy awards..one of them for Best Original Screenplay. It grossed over $225 million.

Just saying... ;) :)   

I don't think its likely myself...

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Aug 02, 2014, 03:33:44 PM

It has happened  "Good Will Hunting" written by Ben Affleck & Matt Damon. It won 2 academy awards..one of them for Best Original Screenplay. It grossed over $225 million.

I think he was being sarcastic. 'Rocky', much?  ;D

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 02, 2014, 09:11:24 PM
Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Aug 02, 2014, 03:33:44 PM

I think he was being sarcastic. 'Rocky', much?  ;D

Doh ! Totally missed it! :P :laugh:

IJustDoNotGetIt

Ripley had already died at the end of Alien 3. I don't see or get what Sigourney meant by returning to the Alien movies. So now what? Some possibilites just came across but they would still be terrible to explain why and if Ripley is still alive or  if Sigourney Weaver comes back to repise her role as the Eighth Clone (Ripley-8) from Alien Resurrection. Maybe it will be an Alien+Aliens reboot remake of sorts?

Oh or maybe a nother bogus excuse, oh btw now Ripley has a "twin" ::)

Otherwise maybe some other bogus retcon excuse they'll write in the script to try to throw out Alien 3 and Resurrection and treat them as if they were just really long bad dreams or "premonitions" Ripley had? This had been considered way back at one point if I remember that Alien Movies FAQs.

Maybe time-travel of some sort that alter the events therefore whatever we had seen Alien 3 and Resurrection never "actually" occurred, or thus creating an "alternate timeline and/or universe".

Think it would be an easy fix and retcon to resurrect a character killed off right? I very much doubt it, and I bet most people here have the same opinion regarding such attempt. Maybe if they had gone that route in the first place without the terrible Alien Resurrection story, but even now I think it would be far far too late.

The already attempted to "undo" Hick's death with the Aliens Colonial Marines video game, which wasn't very believable and had way too many continuity mistakes.

Perhaps the story has something hinted or splashed in regarding the Engineers (Space Jockeys). Maybe they have some form of biotechnology that could resurrect chestbursted victims :P

Either way I am lost on her for this one, but hey in time we will all see what she actually meant.

SiL

Quote from: Eva on Aug 02, 2014, 12:59:57 AM

Twice.
Honestly, I think Anderson did understand.

He just wasn't good enough to do it himself.

He's right, for example, when he says that the slower builds of the first two Alien films contributed immensely to their effectiveness, but where those films built tension and unease, he has a bunch of people wandering around saying "Dafuq is this? Dafuq is that? Oh no, I'm dead!" for two thirds of the damn film. He understood the concept, he just wasn't competent enough in the work he did on the film to nail the execution.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed