Producers of Predator 4

Started by Spoonman101, Jul 25, 2014, 04:47:43 PM

Author
Producers of Predator 4 (Read 3,524 times)

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

The original producers are making a comeback.
Over at Stack Active an article states that producers; John Davis, Joel Silver and Lawrence Gordon will be involved. This might sound more and more promising for both conservative and progressive fans alike.

Source:
http://www.stackactive.com/2014/07/04/predator-reboot/

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Well this is interesting! Very interesting!

worldpeace

worldpeace

why are the professionals still calling it a reboot??? shanes only public comment was that it was a sequel, not a reboot. are people not paying attention ?

happypred

happypred

John Davis loved Paul Anderson's pitch...

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: worldpeace on Jul 26, 2014, 02:18:35 PM
why are the professionals still calling it a reboot??? shanes only public comment was that it was a sequel, not a reboot. are people not paying attention ?

There are other errors in that report. For one thing, I don't believe Shane Black was ever out-right offered work as a writer. They put him in the role of Hawkins, knowing he was a screenwriter as well, so that he could make rolling changes to the script while they were filming, certainly. He says this himself in the making-of doco.

Also, I'm not sure what you can really draw out of this. John Davis has been a producer on every film with a predator in it, including Predators and both AVP movies. As such, I don't see any reason to suggest that the financial backing will make it any better or worse than it would otherwise be. The best producer in the world can't save a terrible script and direction, and I'd like to think that the worst couldn't sink the best of those either.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Can we get any confirmation that Joel Silver and Lawrence Gordon are really back on board for this?

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

Unfortunately this is the best we've got up until now [Now: Time/Date of this post] I'll keep however and try to keep you guys updated.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

A quick Google search and visit to many of the articles picked up show that most of them point out to the Hollywood Reporter article which was posted around the end of June. Methinks this is the internet blowing stuff out of proportion again.

Until I hear confirmation that Lawrence Gordon and Joel Silver are returning from a credible source, I'm not holding my breath.

John Stevens

John Stevens

Would be good if John & Jim Thomas (PREDATOR 1 & 2 writers) were also involved in some capacity?

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: John Stevens on Jul 27, 2014, 04:07:33 AM
Would be good if John & Jim Thomas (PREDATOR 1 & 2 writers) were also involved in some capacity?

If Jim and John Thomas had gotten on board, this would truly be a treat for the fans but that's not the case as the collaborating team is Black and Dekker. I'm fine with Shane Black writing the treatment since apparently he was involved somehow with re-writing the original shooting script for the first movie, and as for Fred Dekker, having seen his movies such as Night of the Creeps and Monster Squad leaves me with a sense of cautionary hope. The only stain which I consider that, a stain on Dekker's career is Robocop 3.

I have a wait and see attitude about this, but I am cautious to what "inventive" ideas the two may have.

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

I hope nothing to deep, the Predator universe is very flexible unlike Alien..

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jul 27, 2014, 04:59:23 AM

In what way is more flexible than Alien? Sure Alien has a tighter knit continuity but.. indulge me, I'm curious.

John Stevens

John Stevens

.....or do you mean the PREDATOR fans are more flexible than the ALIEN fans  :P

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 27, 2014, 05:07:21 AM

In what way is more flexible than Alien? Sure Alien has a tighter knit continuity but.. indulge me, I'm curious.
Heh, I guess I should have stated that this was my opinion. I guess its because Alien origins are kind of known. Where as Predator it's not... Alien also can't be thrown in any setting.. The Predator on the other hand can be. In the comics you can tell how bad Alien comics are when they try to stick with their strict traditional formula. Predator comics are fun because their formula was so loose.

BTW: Your signature, is it from deadliest species?

Quote from: John Stevens on Jul 27, 2014, 05:18:10 AM

.....or do you mean the PREDATOR fans are more flexible than the ALIEN fans  :P
Haha... Don't even get me started

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jul 27, 2014, 05:34:34 AM
Heh, I guess I should have stated that this was my opinion. I guess its because Alien origins are kind of known. Where as Predator it's not... Alien also can't be thrown in any setting.. The Predator on the other hand can be. In the comics you can tell how bad Alien comics are when they try to stick with their strict traditional formula. Predator comics are fun because their formula was so loose.

Well you opinion is actually a lot closer to the truth. I've heard from various sources that Fox is pretty flexible with the canon as far as Predator and even AvP are concerned where as with the Alien franchise things are more closely knit and a lot has already been heavily expanded upon, though I would think that most of the expansion came from the EU. With the Predator series, each of the movies can be viewed as an entire continuity or simply stand alone films that have little or nothing to do with each other. Kind of like the Leprechaun movies in a sense, if we're to make comparisons with other franchises.

Personally, from how I see things there are two paths as far as storytelling for the Predator franchise is concerned.. one which leads up to AvP, and one which leads up to PREDATORS. Thing is with this sequel.. we don't know where the path is going. For all we know, while it could be the fourth movie, it could ignore PREDATORS and act as either a direct sequel to the original, or even take place after Predator 2.. or as some have speculated, it could take place after AvP-R but that's highly unlikely.

It's probably best to look at the Predator franchise like the numerous Godzilla continuity families.

Quote from: Spoonman101 on Jul 27, 2014, 05:34:34 AM
BTW: Your signature, is it from deadliest species?

Pfffft! Nope! It's from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed