Who should play the predator in the Predator sequel?

Started by happypred, Jul 08, 2014, 02:55:45 AM

Author
Who should play the predator in the Predator sequel? (Read 10,005 times)

happypred

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jul 10, 2014, 06:21:41 AM
Nah, they should get the new guy that played the Mountain.

Ian Whyte was the second guy to play the Mountain. I guess there aren't that many huge actors

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jul 10, 2014, 12:07:31 AM
Ian should be brought back definitely. He actually improved a lot between the two AvP movies, and I'm sure he'd nail it perfectly if he were to be cast again.

I think Anderson had something to do with the silly suit acting. I remember when I saw Celtic strike this cringe-worthy pose in front of Grid. I'm pretty sure Ian didn't come up with that pose by himself.

Blacklabel

....The Great Khali

:D

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: bloodinthemud on Jul 10, 2014, 06:56:33 AM
I'd like Jean Claude Van Damme to give it another shot. They can digitally scale him up to be 7ft +

Imagine the splits wristblade nutshot or the flying helicopter kick shoulder cannon headshot

A martial arts Predator, no thanks. Besides, Van Damme is too old and stumpy. 

Whyte is still young enough to pull it off, and hopefully still trim enough to go back to the slim predator design  :P

RakaiThwei

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jul 10, 2014, 06:38:56 PM
A martial arts Predator, no thanks.

I wouldn't mind a Hunter with a bit of a martial arts flare, rather than just seeing two brutes smashing into each other. Of course I'm not saying that Van Damme should be the Predator, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Hunter with martial skill. You could even argue that we sort of had that with Ghost Predator aka City Hunter. Seriously, watch him handle the combi-staff-- there is a bit of a martial arts flare in there.

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 10, 2014, 10:06:51 PM
I wouldn't mind a Hunter with a bit of a martial arts flare, rather than just seeing two brutes smashing into each other.
I don't see any reason why Ian can't employ as much "martial arts flare" as KPH. Ian has a similar build to KPH's, both being lean, tall guys around the same height (7'1" Ian and 7'2" KPH). Despite the numerous flaws of Requiem, Wolf's movement is not one of them. 

It's really depends on how the director wants the predator to move. If the director wants the predator to move like a solid, bulky bruiser (Anderson's AvP), the suit actor will move accordingly. If the director wants some more deadly grace ("martial arts flare"), I'm sure Ian has the ability to pull it off. I think he has the proper build

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Jul 11, 2014, 02:29:38 AM
I don't see any reason why Ian can't employ as much "martial arts flare" as KPH. Ian has a similar build to KPH's, both being lean, tall guys around the same height (7'1" Ian and 7'2" KPH). Despite the numerous flaws of Requiem, Wolf's movement is not one of them. 

Completely in agreement here. The martial skill which Ghost had displayed in Predator 2 has always stayed with me and for me is the way how Predator's should fight in close quarters combat. Ian Whyte did a fine job as the Predators in the AvP movies and I would like to see him come back as a Predator, preferably a normal Predator.

Not those Super Abominations that Rodriguez tried to feed us, and we're still being fed by Fox..

Quote from: happypred on Jul 11, 2014, 02:29:38 AM
It's really depends on how the director wants the predator to move. If the director wants the predator to move like a solid, bulky bruiser (Anderson's AvP), the suit actor will move accordingly. If the director wants some more deadly grace ("martial arts flare"), I'm sure Ian has the ability to pull it off. I think he has the proper build.

People can say what they want about the AvP movies, but having personally spoken with Ian when he was visiting my town back in February of 2007 for Monstermania, he did mention that he had watched the first two Predator movies and had done his best to emulate Kevin Peter Hall. And despite the flaws in Requiem, I thought Ian did a fine job in the movements. And while the AvP Predators in the first movie were big and bulky, they still displayed some martial skill (Scar's jumping spear thrust).

The Super Predators had little to no martial skill. The only one who ad showed some resemblance of martial skill was Falconer. Berserker had almost no skill whatsoever, and he was smashing and bashing. Now I'm willing to admit that Predators can have different fighting styles and what not, but the fight scene between Classic and Berserker just showed them as nothing more than brutes who just rammed into each other and just focused on smashing.

I'm not saying we should see Predators doing Wing Chun or Taekwondo, because let's face it.. that would be ridiculous but show us a Predator with close quarters combat skills like Kevin Peter Hall showed us in Predator 2. I don't want to see two boulders smashing into each other like we got with PREDATORS.

OpenMaw

I don't know. I think a sleek and slice style for a Predator would be very fitting, why not bring in more martial arts if it fits the context of the particular predator character?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 11, 2014, 04:37:09 AM
I think a sleek and slice style for a Predator would be very fitting, why not bring in more martial arts if it fits the context of the particular predator character?

And I would like to see that, and considering that Ian Whyte knows Wing Chun, Ba Gua, Tai Chi and Chinese Kickboxing.. There is no doubt in my mind he can do that. I would love to see a more martial Predator. But nothing along the lines of Jacky Chan flips or fanciful kicks, something which can perhaps be done with swords, staffs and knives.

Problem is, wouldn't it be extremely cumbersome to do martial arts in a Predator suit? I'd imagine it would.

happypred

Ian Whyte seems to have bulked up from his early days

He's not huge or anything...but I think he really has a good physique for portraying a muscular but still lithe and agile predator

OpenMaw

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 11, 2014, 04:42:48 AM
Problem is, wouldn't it be extremely cumbersome to do martial arts in a Predator suit? I'd imagine it would.

It would, but it's all a matter of choreography and editing. Just look at Wolf in AVP:R, for all the shit that can be said of film, the performance of Wolf as a creature is actually quite good. The moment where Wolf spins around and gets that alien with the whip is a very effective and agile motion.

They could also work around it with certain harder to perform sequences either with custom 'stunt' heads that would have small openings to see out of, or by using a digital head.

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

Dennis Rodman

Wait a second... Why would an extraterrestrial warrior be trained in a martial art from Earth?

"Predator Shaolin Warrior!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Randomizer

The Predator Shaolin Cronicles !  :D

worldpeace

funny stuff! i actually laughed out loud, not just lol.

Quote from: bloodinthemud on Jul 10, 2014, 06:56:33 AM
I'd like Jean Claude Van Damme to give it another shot. They can digitally scale him up to be 7ft +

Imagine the splits wristblade nutshot or the flying helicopter kick shoulder cannon headshot

A martial arts Predator, no thanks. Besides, Van Damme is too old and stumpy. 

Whyte is still young enough to pull it off, and hopefully still trim enough to go back to the slim predator design  :P

Spoonman101

Spoonman101

The Predator, a crooked poaching extraterrestrial criminal whom lost his family in a fatal car accident decided to atone his retribution by dedicated his lifestyle to the ways of the Shaolin monk. Now 27 years have passed and his training has been pushed to the maximum.... As so he thought... A nearby cyndicate of Korean-Chinese terrorists decide to forcefully influence the ways of the Illuminati on  the eastern front, threatening the sanctuary of the Shaolin Temples. The Predator now must smash through the elite that stands within the circles of Taekwondo, Muay-Thai and Kung-fu.

Retribution

IAN WHYTE

Now

RUSSEL CROWE

Becomes

THE RZA

REDEMPTION!

Predator Shaolin Chronicles

IMDb: 10
Rotten Tomatoes: 100%

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 10, 2014, 10:06:51 PM
A martial arts Predator, no thanks.

I wouldn't mind a Hunter with a bit of a martial arts flare, rather than just seeing two brutes smashing into each other. Of course I'm not saying that Van Damme should be the Predator, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Hunter with martial skill. You could even argue that we sort of had that with Ghost Predator aka City Hunter. Seriously, watch him handle the combi-staff-- there is a bit of a martial arts flare in there.

A small dose of martial arts like with Hanzo and Falconer or City Hunter sure, just a little not a full battle, in my humble opinion.  I prefer my hunter with stealth and raw brutality.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed