Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL!

Started by Lemonade, Jun 25, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

Author
Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL! (Read 193,372 times)

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Quote from: Hudson on Aug 17, 2014, 05:54:07 PM
Quote from: worldpeace on Aug 17, 2014, 11:14:16 AM
is it a good sign that this movie feels unrushed and has no release date. ? i think it means it's getting proper treatment and scheduling  to insure a quality motion picture . ? im excited for all the production details we will learn eventually ..   

eggo waffles with butter and maple syrup . im hungry.

Just wait for them to go down the Prometheus route and realize they have something that transcends Predator. Then they release some story that's peripheral to the franchise, but still somehow linked to it.

Nah I have no fear of that happening with the Predator franchise. Shane Black is a very straightforward dude. Ridley Scott always was... lets say... different and difficult to comprehend at times... a black box... besides Prometheus really is like a giant Masturbation session of Sir Scott, because he CAN. Just look at the ludicrous budget he wanted to be granted at first... He didn't care about economics or expectations, he just wanted to do it and he's in a position where he can.

Shane Black is in no ways in the same league and has got far more studio-expectations to fulfill. He's always been the guy "doing the job" and with Predator it will be no different.

Darkness

Darkness

Some minor news. Adrien Brody was asked about the new Predator movie though he didn't really say whether he'd want to be involved or not.

QuoteShane Black is directing a new Predator film. Would you be tempted to return to that world after starring in the 2010 movie?

I loved playing Royce. That [original] film had a big place in my heart as a teenager. I campaigned for that role. When I first signed on, there was a lot of skepticism. Then, when I went to Comic-Con, there was such love from the greatest, most hard-core fans, who thanked me for lending credibility to it and for having a new take on things. That was something I was very grateful for.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/adrien-brody-houdini-predator-return-728326

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

It wouldn't surprise me if Shane doesn't continue the storyline where PREDATORS left off. I mean it's a common thing for actors not to return in the Predator films, including the AvP films when there was rumor that Sanaa Lathan was supposed to return for a sequel but she didn't as we all know. The Predator movies really don't have a linear continuity.

I will be surprised if Shane does continue the storyline where PREDATORS left off and he does cast Adrian Brody and Alice Braga. Of course, I would much prefer if Shane doesn't continue where PREDATORS left off.. I'd rather he do his own thing than follow something which someone else established. Honestly, I hope this upcoming movie is a stand-alone.

worldpeace

worldpeace

if royce makes it to earth at the start  it might be interesting even just as a cameo . all crazy and paranoid .  im hoping shane has been plotting the story little by little over the last couple decades. well thought out and clever. original and badass

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 30, 2014, 06:47:39 PMI mean it's a common thing for actors not to return in the Predator films, including the AvP films when there was rumor that Sanaa Lathan was supposed to return for a sequel but she didn't as we all know. The Predator movies really don't have a linear continuity.

You're obviously forgetting Ana's pivotal role in Predator 2 ;D

Liberator

Liberator

Adrien Brody was sensational in Predators, but I don't think he should be in this new movie unless it's to be a direct sequel to Predators.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 01, 2014, 07:35:32 AM
You're obviously forgetting Ana's pivotal role in Predator 2 ;D

I didn't forget, I just didn't bring it up because when you think about it.. aside from the small cameo of Ana in the background and the off-handed mention of Dutch, Predator 2 can stand alone apart from the first movie. Supposedly, there was a filmed interrogation scene but it was left out on the cutting room floor, had that been included, continuity strings would've been thicker and tighter.

SM

SM

QuoteI mean it's a common thing for actors not to return in the Predator films, including the AvP films when there was rumor that Sanaa Lathan was supposed to return for a sequel but she didn't as we all know.

It was more than a rumour.  She signed on to at least two films.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Sep 01, 2014, 11:13:27 PM
She signed on to at least two films.

So there was weight to those discussions! That's a shame that now we will never get a sequel to the AvP films. I would've liked to seen Alexa's fate after the whole Antarctica incident. If anything.. they should've went with that instead of Requiem. How they would've been able to do that, I'm not sure.

Might be a good element in a potential third AvP but I don't think that will ever happen.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 02, 2014, 12:46:20 AM

Might be a good element in a potential third AvP but I don't think that will ever happen.

For a moment there, I read that you don't think a third AvP will happen!

No, I don't think Saana will be back (unlike Arnie in the new Preadator), but I strongly believe that there will be a third AvP. As far as I know, don't the new comics attempt to tie up a new canon with the movie-verse. There was a massive press hard on when the standees for "the new Predator film" were seen at comic-con (but it was Predator 3D)... I'm pretty sure that the franchise has legs in terms of profit, even if the entries to date haven't satisfied some elements of the fan community.

Interesting times, though - I REALLY hope that Shane's movie doesn't get leaked a la "Expendables III" and the people actually go and watch it.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Russ on Sep 02, 2014, 08:06:40 AM
For a moment there, I read that you don't think a third AvP will happen!

You most certainly read right. I don't think an AvP3 will happen, at least an AvP3 which will more or less line up with AvP and AvP-R. More than likely, a reboot of the AvP franchise could happen but I wouldn't hold my breath. We've still got the Prometheus trilogy to happen, and Shane Black's upcoming Predator movie. And if you're REALLY hopeful.. and I mean REALLY hopeful.. possibly Alien V, which Weaver is pushing for. So we maybe looking at.. 10 or more years before an AvP3 or reboot happens.

Still, I would like an AvP3 which maintains continuity from the first two AvP movies to happen but right now, I'm being realistic to the point of pessimism. Chances for it are quite nil.

Quote from: Russ on Sep 02, 2014, 08:06:40 AM
As far as I know, don't the new comics attempt to tie up a new canon with the movie-verse.

That one is a tricky one to answer because I've pointed out in a thread that they are only considering Predator, Predator 2, Predators, Prometheus, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Resurrection as canon. However Sebela did say that they aren't using the AvP movies as canon, that's different than saying "The AvP movies are non-canon".

So really these new comics are forming their own mythology rather than following up with anything that came before. Take that as you will of course.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 02, 2014, 08:14:13 AM

Still, I would like an AvP3 which maintains continuity from the first two AvP movies to happen but right now, I'm being realistic to the point of pessimism. Chances for it are quite nil.

Yes, so would I, but I agree - I can't see that happening either. Though, it's a shame, I really did like the Yutani teaser at the end of AvP:R (given Avp focused on the Weyland part). I relaised that I've not seen :R in the longest time... and I read on here that the Blu-Ray is brilliant in terms of lighting things up... I'll have to nip to HMV when I'm feeling extravagant (but to be fair, I'm lining up all of the "Behind Enemy Lines"  movies to watch... and I have a novel to finish which looks like it'll be late. *lol*

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 02, 2014, 08:14:13 AM

That one is a tricky one to answer because I've pointed out in a thread that they are only considering Predator, Predator 2, Predators, Prometheus, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Resurrection as canon. However Sebela did say that they aren't using the AvP movies as canon, that's different than saying "The AvP movies are non-canon".

So really these new comics are forming their own mythology rather than following up with anything that came before. Take that as you will of course.

I wish they weren't using Resurrection - I just think it cheapened everything that the Aliens saga was about. I really must check them out, though.

Something I've been meaning to do is start reading the novels related to the series, but many aren't on kindle... (I've been converted... the local charity shops throw petals at my feet when I turn up these days, I've off-loaded zillions of paperbacks).

Master

Master

Quote from: Russ on Sep 02, 2014, 09:32:32 AM

I wish they weren't using Resurrection - I just think it cheapened everything that the Aliens saga was about. I really must check them out, though.

Care to explain why?

Greyback

Greyback

I hope Shane Black work with the Stan Winston Studios and they design the Predators. Further it would be cool if some monsters like the skulls on the trophy wall in part 2 are in in this film.

Maybe Fox gives this film a big budget. They can print on the posters "Predator 4 from the guy that make Iron Man 3 and write Lethal Weapon".

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Master on Sep 02, 2014, 10:57:04 AM
Care to explain why?

Sure. I sat in the cinema utterly gobsmacked at the "shitepile" that was AL III EN. It was so unlike Aliens, they killed off Newt and Hicks... all that stuff. Later - when I got over myself, I realised that (especially the Assembly Cut) that it was a good film (not in the league of the first two, but still) -- a good way to end the Ripley arc and all that.

Resurrection - it just seemed to me like a pointless entry. Its set 200 years later. They explain away things with "a big deletion." Ripley's back, but its not Ripley, its a hybrid clone. This was the really pointless bit - to get the movie made, they needed Sigourney Weaver - but she was already dead, so they ... you know what, I can't go on, you know the story as well as I do (probably better, its my least watched one of the series).

I think the worst thing about the movie (for me - all this is my opinion) is that its clearly a black comedy. Tonally, that's out of step with the whole saga. You could say that Aliens was totally different to Alien - and it was... but it still felt part of the same universe. For me, Resurrection just felt out of step. If the Aliens Saga were a TV series, Resurrection would be the musical episode.

I think the film looked beautiful though - the advances in special effects were on show, I thought the performances of Winona Ryder and Michael Wincott (SP? Doing this on the fly) were outstanding. The underwater xenos were cool too.

But that was it - the whole thing seemed a bit of mess, I didn't like that they made it a "French style movie" (look, I know Weaver loves all that stuff and I imagine that she was a big influence on getting the French team in), but yeah --- tonally out of step. And Whedon's "smart dialogue" might work for Buffy and glossy Superheroes but hearing Ripley's "Who do I have to f**k..." line made my stomach turn. And as has been pointed out, the Wal-Mart line was deleted - but its a great example of a "Wheedonism", I suppose.

I guess this was before we had the concept of rebooting franchises, but as I say - a French black comedy was something that I didn't feel fitted with the saga as a whole and if we had our time over again, I would have preferred a reboot or something set in the same universe that didn't shoehorn Ellen Ripley into it (though of course, we know she was only in it to get the finance -- and as the one producer of AL III EN said "You could have someone pissing against a wall for 90 minutes and call it Aliens and still make 30 million).

Anyroad - those are some of the reasons why. :-)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed