Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL!

Started by Lemonade, Jun 25, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

Author
Shane Black is doing a SEQUEL! (Read 193,354 times)

Lemonade

Lemonade

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 26, 2014, 08:14:39 AM
Quote from: RidgeTop on Jun 26, 2014, 07:18:34 AM

Also, I think we're more likely to see this new Predator film before we see Prometheus 2.

Prometheus 2 comes out March 2016. I doubt Predator 4 will be out by 2015 or early 2016. Maybe late 2016, but I see 2017 happening for the new film. Predators prove that people were still up for another solo film after the AVP movies.

Yep, and three years later no less.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jun 26, 2014, 08:17:05 AM
Then I thought how insane that actually is to try and come up with an excuse for the way the Aliens were portrayed in those movies.

I remember Anderson trying to pass off the "Word of God" trope by saying that the reason the Aliens had grown in such a short amount of time and probably appeared differently was because they were likely genetically manipulated or the Queen's egg sack had been injected with some sort of chemical.

Not a lot of people took kindly to that..

I consider myself an easily entertained person, and while I liked the movies and would even love to see an AvP3 continue that particular storyline.. I can safely say that it's likely never going to happen. A reboot is more likely to happen but considering that we have a Prometheus trilogy ahead of us, and God knows how many more Predator movies (I'm willing to bet this is the last one before a reboot)... We're not likely to see AvP happening in either a sequel or a reboot anytime soon.

Master

Master

As I said earlier, we are geting another sequel. That's what I expected.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Master on Jun 26, 2014, 09:21:24 AM

What kind of a sequel is yet to be determined. Will it be to the original only? A sequel to Predator 2? A follow up to PREDATORS?  Or a stand alone?

Whatever Shane does, it'll be one hot ticket.

Lemonade

Lemonade

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 26, 2014, 09:29:10 AM

What kind of a sequel is yet to be determined. Will it be to the original only? A sequel to Predator 2? A follow up to PREDATORS?  Or a stand alone?

Why do you keep asking this? We don't know, but it's safe to assume it'll not follow any other film. It'll be a standalone, per usual.

Master

Master

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 26, 2014, 09:29:10 AM

As far as I`m concerned, I`d like to see Garber and Predator capture/kill to aquire his tech arc. 

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 26, 2014, 06:48:39 AM
I'll agree with you on PREDATORS.. I hope the new movie ignores it, or knocks it out entirely. As for AVP2010.. I'd have to disagree with you on that.

Critics wouldn't, and that's what matters in the end when they go to make more films and games.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

If it's a sequel to Predators then I wonder if Hawkins ends up being in the movie. It won't surprise me if they explain that he has been on the Planet for nearly 30 years.

worldpeace

worldpeace

yeah  im most curious about who's doing the predator makeup effects. i hope they make stan winston proud. this movie needs to fire on all cylinders. script, budget, artists, the predators facial expressions haven't been done properly in ages. i think shane black will give this movie the care it deserves and i believe his enthusiasm is genuine.

Bio Mech Hunter

I gotta say I'm quite relieved this is actually going to be a sequel. The Predator mythos is rich and has so much untapped potential for the big screen. Why start over? That, and the constant string of bad reboots, remakes, spin-offs, etc. over the past several years have generally put me off on the whole concept.

I'm very glad to hear Black is passionate about doing this right.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 26, 2014, 07:20:47 AM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 26, 2014, 06:48:39 AM
I am hoping Black and Dekker keep those elements.

I love that.

I'm very happy it's not a reboot. I much prefer a sequel and whilst I really enjoyed Predators, I'm not oblivious to the flaws but I don't hate it as much as most people - it's why I keep out of this board typically, because I just don't agree with most Predator fans.

I would like to see some more developments to the franchise. It's going to get boring if they just do the same thing. The Predator series is the most versatile of the lot - they can go back in time and fight Vikings, they can be Jack the Ripper, they can be in WW1/2 or Iraq. Or they could go in the future and be in WW3, off-world somewhere. I'm not too sure what I'd like to see but if it is future/other planet, I'd like to see a more significant presence of another alien species.

And I'm so desperate for a reboot of AvP. Something that completely ignores AvP/R and does it right.
I know what you mean. I feel the same way on all your points.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Everyone wants something new, but without straying too far from the core concepts. I personally felt that PREDATORS stayed a little too far from that when they had introduced the ideas which were in that particular movie such as the preserve planet and the idea of the Super Predators. So I'm hoping that Shane doesn't introduce something new that doesn't contradict what was established or falls too far off from the first two movies.

Has Predator culture been explored enough? I would absolutely think so and I don't think anymore needs to be added onto it. PREDATORS did that with the Super Predators, and those lot happen to be something of a mixed bag as it is. Someone had mentioned different occupations for Predators, and that's something I may want to see depending on how it's pulled off. Sure, Wolf in AvP-R was supposed to be a Cleaner but he came off more as a Hunter than Cleaner.

I remember seeing someone mention a Predator Cowboy, and while the idea sounds silly in the initial title.. It could work. Think about it, imagine a Predator who also happens to be a lawman, or something equal to a cop as far as Predators are concerned. A Predator who goes after the psychotics and criminal caste of the Predator race. I wouldn't mind seeing a Predator movie where there are two Predators, one who is a psychotic killer that relentlessly kills it's prey regardless if they are armed and dangerous or not, and the other who happens to be so bent on hunting this other Predator while effectively removing anything that's in his path. Humans would be caught in the middle, with both Predators posing as a threat to them.

Or how about a Predator Trapper that has lost an alien creature (not a Xenomorph or River Ghost)-- a creature completely different that poses a threat to humans and the Predator itself? The creature gets loose and is now on the run. Humans try to kill this creature to ensure their own survival, and the Predator Trapper is trying to capture said creature while also killing humans to ensure that it's intended quarry is not killed. Both creatures would still pose a threat to humans.

Just some ideas here and there on what new things could be explored.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Awesome ! I hope Shane Black keeps the atmosphere from the movies and has at least a decent story but besides that , looks like it's time to party !!!  :D

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 26, 2014, 06:47:40 PMEveryone wants something new, but without straying too far from the core concepts. I personally felt that PREDATORS stayed a little too far from that when they had introduced the ideas which were in that particular movie such as the preserve planet and the idea of the Super Predators. So I'm hoping that Shane doesn't introduce something new that doesn't contradict what was established or falls too far off from the first two movies.

Has Predator culture been explored enough? I would absolutely think so and I don't think anymore needs to be added onto it. PREDATORS did that with the Super Predators, and those lot happen to be something of a mixed bag as it is. Someone had mentioned different occupations for Predators, and that's something I may want to see depending on how it's pulled off. Sure, Wolf in AvP-R was supposed to be a Cleaner but he came off more as a Hunter than Cleaner.

I remember seeing someone mention a Predator Cowboy, and while the idea sounds silly in the initial title.. It could work. Think about it, imagine a Predator who also happens to be a lawman, or something equal to a cop as far as Predators are concerned. A Predator who goes after the psychotics and criminal caste of the Predator race. I wouldn't mind seeing a Predator movie where there are two Predators, one who is a psychotic killer that relentlessly kills it's prey regardless if they are armed and dangerous or not, and the other who happens to be so bent on hunting this other Predator while effectively removing anything that's in his path. Humans would be caught in the middle, with both Predators posing as a threat to them.

Or how about a Predator Trapper that has lost an alien creature (not a Xenomorph or River Ghost)-- a creature completely different that poses a threat to humans and the Predator itself? The creature gets loose and is now on the run. Humans try to kill this creature to ensure their own survival, and the Predator Trapper is trying to capture said creature while also killing humans to ensure that it's intended quarry is not killed. Both creatures would still pose a threat to humans.

Just some ideas here and there on what new things could be explored.
Those ideas are not bad. But I mean, there's literally a hundred possibilities for the Predator franchise. The only thing I hope is that they already have a good idea for what the movie will be about. It's seriously difficult to do something that respects the Predator essence and at the same time works as the "natural step" to evolve the franchise.

But the studios usually greenlight movies without even having a script or an idea of what they're going to do, so they sometimes probably choose the first script treatment they offer them because they don't care about respecting the movie, they only want to milk it to make more money out of it.

For what it seems, Black was simply offered a lot of money and he's barely starting to think what he's going to do with the script (like "mmh, I would like it to acknowledge the events of the past movies, I'd like to create a richer mythology..."), I don't think he had a visionary idea for the Predator before the contract.

So, the only thing we can hope is that Black comes with a brilliant idea, although like I said, it's extremely hard to do a great Predator successor movie. I say, again, the Predators movie idea was nice, the movie was OK, it was decent, but it wasn't something brilliant. The concept wasn't the one to create the "evolution" of the Predator franchise, but it was fair, only to equal the one of the first two movies (in the best of the results) and keep on with the quality.

So again, unless they're able to come with a really clever concept before the production date arrives, they will most likely release in the end something that is "decent" or "OK" at best.

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Count on one thing.

Arnie will be back.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I remember old fan rumors in the 90's and early 2000's had the idea of humans going to the Predator home Planet for Predator 3. I wonder if that idea can work?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed