H.R Giger Has passed.

Started by draken161, May 13, 2014, 08:04:03 AM

Author
H.R Giger Has passed. (Read 34,861 times)

Loafer

Loafer

Just came here to pay my respects to the great man. Hans Rudolf Giger was an extremely talented visionary. I think he will be remembered as one of the most iconic artists of the 20th century.

The Alien films introduced me to his work. I now own several of his books and framed lithographs of his beautiful art. He was one of my heroes. No other artworks have touched my soul as deeply as Giger's. I have shed tears today. R.I.P. Hans Rudolf Giger.     

atlantis

atlantis

What a sad sad news this is... He was the biggest inspiration for my art work...

R.I.P.....

Ulfer

Ulfer

Sad news...
I was reading quite absentmindedly news articles on the net, then I told myself, when I found one about him, 'Why a retrospective about Giger now ?'. Then I found out I had not read the begnning and the title of the article, which were about his passing.
He was an important and influential artist and I deem that even those who are not really receptive to his art and genre cannot say that at least some of his works, amongst which those that appear in his contributions to movies, are not masterpieces (not only in their particular genre, but in general).

Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

F**king Legend!

Darkness

Darkness

Found a quote from Ridley Scott about H.R. Giger's death:

http://time.com/97857/hr-giger-ridley-scott-statement/

"I am very saddened to hear of Giger's passing. I think back on how committed and passionate he was, and then consequently, all the security we built up around his 'lock up' studios at Shepperton. I was the only one allowed the honor of going in, and I absolutely enjoyed every hour I spent with him there. He was a real artist and great eccentric, a true original, but above all, he was a really nice man. He will be missed."

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Darkness on May 14, 2014, 05:53:25 PM
Found a quote from Ridley Scott about H.R. Giger's death:

http://time.com/97857/hr-giger-ridley-scott-statement/

"I am very saddened to hear of Giger's passing. I think back on how committed and passionate he was, and then consequently, all the security we built up around his 'lock up' studios at Shepperton. I was the only one allowed the honor of going in, and I absolutely enjoyed every hour I spent with him there. He was a real artist and great eccentric, a true original, but above all, he was a really nice man. He will be missed."

That's very nice from ole Riddlez.

saintssinphony

saintssinphony

A relative of mine had one of his books and as a child I remember looking at his art and being physically moved by what I saw.  My heart was racing, my hands were shaky and I was sweaty .  I believe it was the first time art touched me and I will never forget that feeling and I'm so thankful to have been able to live in his time. 

I love looking at his art with my wife and talking about how we see his work and how the images make us feel.  Words fall short in describing H.R. Giger the man and his work.  Truly a special human being.

RowdyGowdy

RowdyGowdy

R.i.P. Giger

jonc2006

jonc2006

R.I.P.

Raku

Raku

I just heard the news, and I'm so bummed right now.

RIP Giger

Razz

Razz

RIP Giger  :-\

Watching Alien even today still fills me with dread and terror and it is largely because of Giger's designs (The Alien itself and the derelict), will bust out Alien on blu-ray for the weekend for him. Such an artist.  :-\

Gates

Gates

Just read this today, very sad...

He was a modern Goya in spirit -- feared yet revered, disturbing yet erotic...fearless art born of a nightmare haunted mind...

He is legend...RIP

Skylark Duquesne

Skylark Duquesne

Erik Lensherr, young man, don't you use the "f" word here, this is uncalled for. This is the place to commemorate the memory of a great man.

This is not Ridley Scott's obituary, is it ? A great director whom I admire, incidentally, but I don't think he treats his collaborators fairly. People who are in power rarely do, I guess.

I wouldn't think of showing disrespect to the dead. I cherish some living persons but I like the dead. I have dead people in my head, they show themselves to me in my dreams and they never talk. The dead don't do that.

The day Moebius died, I cried. With H.R. Giger gone, I can't help feeling again that another huge part of my youth, of what mattered to me as a teen, has left me never to return. It's a loss, I know the meaning of this word believe me. But the legacy remains.

Some artists take risks and venture into the darkest places of the mind, the ones where it's dangerous lingering, to bring back visions that haunt you. They pay the price for it : for giving you the opportunity to peer safely into Hell. Picasso said art is the enemy of good taste. Giger certainly demonstrated this, but there was a refinement, a sense of beauty in his work that drew its inspiration from Gaudi, from Francis Bacon, from Charles Rennie MacIntosh or Hector Guimard, which set him apart from so many practitioners of the gratuitously shocking or scatological, or of the demonic genre.

Giger the rebellious explorer showed me that the territories of death and madness could be beautiful too and I thank him for that. I loved him.

Now I'll keep mute.

SM

SM

You forgot Bosch.

And why wouldn't it be Riddles' tribute.  Sounds quite heartfelt.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

True, I'm sorry I got unnecessarily hot headed.
But I don't think that this is rightly the place to insult another artist because of one's passage.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed