More "Fire and Stone" Previews

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 04, 2014, 03:55:23 PM

Author
More "Fire and Stone" Previews (Read 42,494 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Yeah, it's not like this franchise has a really bad history at this point!  ;)

happypred

happypred

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 05, 2014, 02:37:23 AM
Yeah, it's not like this franchise has a really bad history at this point!  ;)

True but I think it's always wise to judge after the release of the final product. Right now, it's premature.

Even if the aliens do end up being drawn really badly in the new series, they might be total wrecking machines in the story. Of course, it would be nice if we could have good art and good story.

SM

SM

I think "chequered" is probably fairer than "really bad".

bobby brown

bobby brown

I think the artwork is fantastic!

Not crazy about that mutant alien man though  :-X
But I am starving for some new elements in this franchise.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: bobby brown on May 05, 2014, 07:45:03 AM
I think the artwork is fantastic!

It's fantastic compared to Three World War. Whether it's better than Civilised Beasts is arguable

The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost

Hi guys,

I am not trying to deviate the topic but I would love to see Dark Horse make a try at Star Trek comics as the IDW run is quite forgettable.
I am mostly annoyed that they focus on comics based on the new movies, barely doing any stuff in the original universe/timeline that established the franchise in the first place.
If IDW doesn't want to do more work with the original IPs then perhaps another publisher should.

Back to the main topic, it is not actually the art or the size of the xenomorphs that disappoints me but rather the indication that Dark Horse will just publish mini series along the traditional formula; focus on action and gore.
There is nothing wrong with doing that sometimes but I would really like to see the writers experiment more with storyline concepts and not use only Aliens as a basis for stories.

I think someone on this forum once wrote that the planned Alien 3 would have been sort of Film Noir (with a bit of horror), continuing the trend of putting the Alien movies in different kind of genres (Alien - horror/thriller, Aliens - action/thriller)
I would love to see stuff like that. (No, I am not suggesting an eventual romance genre story yeez)

happypred

happypred

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on May 05, 2014, 03:40:59 PMBack to the main topic, it is not actually the art or the size of the xenomorphs that disappoints me but rather the indication that Dark Horse will just publish mini series along the traditional formula; focus on action and gore.
The new AvP series has been stated to be the most action-oriented. From the previews alone, I can't tell if the entire AvP series will be a gore-fest.

I don't think it will, but there will definitely be quite a bit of action as the foundation of AvP is aliens and predators going at it for our entertainment. I mean, the Prometheus, Aliens, Predator, and AvP series will all have some gore in them. For all we know, the previews are simply showing us more action-oriented pages. Again, I think we should reserve judgment until the final product is released.

If action and gore isn't your thing, you'll probably like the AvP series the least. The Prometheus series will likely have the least gore

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

In the last panel of the last preview page the alien is clearly massive compared to the guy, it's much bigger than the door he is behind too.

Most likely it just changes by scene, due to art style.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: Xenoscream on May 06, 2014, 08:25:37 PM
In the last panel of the last preview page the alien is clearly massive compared to the guy, it's much bigger than the door he is behind too.

Agreed. If you look at some of the "Aliens" panels, you can also see that the xenos there would tower over the humans if they stood up straight.

I completely understand that people have some (justifiable) reservations about this whole reboot/relaunch, but I'm a bit more willing to cut this stuff some slack. DH could easily clean up those few panels where the xenos looks a bit short.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 06, 2014, 09:42:30 PM
Agreed. If you look at some of the "Aliens" panels, you can also see that the xenos there would tower over the humans if they stood up straight. I completely understand that people have some (justifiable) reservations about this whole reboot/relaunch, but I'm a bit more willing to cut this stuff some slack. DH could easily clean up those few panels where the xenos looks a bit short.

Good catch...it seems like the pygmy xenos are an artistic f*ck up

In the comic Predator Race War, there's a panel with what looks like a 12ft predator

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 06, 2014, 09:42:30 PM

Agreed. If you look at some of the "Aliens" panels, you can also see that the xenos there would tower over the humans if they stood up straight.

http://i.imgur.com/OTpLKAO.jpg

I completely understand that people have some (justifiable) reservations about this whole reboot/relaunch, but I'm a bit more willing to cut this stuff some slack. DH could easily clean up those few panels where the xenos looks a bit short.

Hmmm :P

SM

SM

Take out the perspective and have the Aliens standing up and they'd probably be about right.

How tall were they in the game?  They seemed decent, but I don't think they were 8' tall.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

One of the artists pulling off a Greg Land? Huh...  :-\

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Wow, also a nice, if depressing, catch.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

I can definitely see some invoking of Greg Land here.. I can't remember who did that black and white panel, but it's clear that they likely had traced or filtered the source image with some alterations, and just added in a few more details. You know that's something which comic fans had called Greg Land out on, because it's straight up tracing.

I know that photo references are used a lot in comics but there is an acceptable boundary. The Aliens in that panel look like they were treated in photoshop with some filtering. The lines even match up for the rib cage areas. Aside up a few additions and tweaks, this might even be straight up filtering and tracing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed