The 10-Year-Anniversary of AVP

Started by Scree, Apr 03, 2014, 09:26:43 PM

Author
The 10-Year-Anniversary of AVP (Read 38,612 times)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Russ on Aug 13, 2014, 06:26:56 AM
As for AvP never being intended to be in part of the same 'verse... I remember that thread - it went on for zillions pages, man! I started off as "they could be" and ended up with "OK, I get they're not!"

You referring to the Multiverse thread I made and inquired about all of that there?

Corporal Hicks

It still disappointments me. It's not the worse movie I've ever seen (that goes to Shrooms/Green Lantern/Keith Lemon) but it's not the AvP film we wanted. I still want a reboot. Completely scrap those 2 films and go it properly - future, space, Colonial Marines, brutal. More importantly though, good suits and well balanced representations of the creatures.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 13, 2014, 06:39:05 AM
You referring to the Multiverse thread I made and inquired about all of that there?

The very one - it was a great thread, well made.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 13, 2014, 07:12:28 AM
Completely scrap those 2 films and go it properly - future, space, Colonial Marines, brutal. More importantly though, good suits and well balanced representations of the creatures.

I think that Colonial Marines thing is the obvious choice. Well, it is to people on this forum at least. I'd love know what Fox feel about it.

Someone on here had a brilliant idea - like a space Guantanamo bay where inmates have to team up with Marines against the Predators (and Aliens of course).

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Russ on Aug 13, 2014, 08:18:14 AM
The very one - it was a great thread, well made.

Honestly, I would love it if Fox had made it publically official that there are separate but parallel universes. Do what the Godzilla franchise did for the Showa, Heisei and Millenium series.. or do what the Halloween franchise did with the alternate timelines, although I think that it unintentionally has the latter happening already though no one save a few acknowledges that.

I would think that it would satisfy everyone. Well, almost everyone.

Quote from: Russ on Aug 13, 2014, 08:18:14 AM
I think that Colonial Marines thing is the obvious choice. Well, it is to people on this forum at least. I'd love know what Fox feel about it.

Someone on here had a brilliant idea - like a space Guantanamo bay where inmates have to team up with Marines against the Predators (and Aliens of course).

We would all love to see the return of the Colonial Marines but I wouldn't hold my breath. Again, not impossible but unlikely at this point in time. And while that would definitely please a lot of fans on this forum.. I'm mildly curious to how Fox would feel about that as well. It seems like a risk that they wouldn't be willing to take.. A risk which should have been taken years ago.. I'd say as far back as to 1995 when people were championing the movie to get made.

I've never heard about someone's Guantanamo Bay in Space idea.. However I've heard great things about Sil's script. If AvP is going to be rebooted or have another sequel.. Sil's script is the way to go.

Predatorium

Predatorium

This movie really grew on me with the years, I still hate the teaming up part but the movie was mostly well made.The setting in Antartica and the pyramid were the best parts of the movie. The way it was filmed was also very reminding of the alien films and it all came together with a great atmosphere. I also enjoyed the backstory of the predators. The actors did a solid job and it was nice to have Lance Henrikssen, Sanaa Lathan and Ewen Bremner holding up the cast. The aliens looked really good aswell although the predators looked kind of chunky and like actors didn't quite fit the suits. The director's cut made it even better with a little more character development and a few extra tidbits.

It could have been a lot worse, like AVP-R, which is in my experience, one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Horribly filmed, no atmosphere or exciting setting, terrible terrible acting and really stupid plot with nothing interesting to add.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 13, 2014, 08:47:13 AM
We would all love to see the return of the Colonial Marines but I wouldn't hold my breath. Again, not impossible but unlikely at this point in time. And while that would definitely please a lot of fans on this forum.. I'm mildly curious to how Fox would feel about that as well. It seems like a risk that they wouldn't be willing to take.. A risk which should have been taken years ago.. I'd say as far back as to 1995 when people were championing the movie to get made.

I've never heard about someone's Guantanamo Bay in Space idea.. However I've heard great things about Sil's script. If AvP is going to be rebooted...

The weird thing - some of us remember what soldiers looked like in 86... and what they look like now. The whole body armour "look" isn't that far away from Cameron's team. (even the neck protectors - ok, modern ones look more like ww2 german helmets, but I don't remember those in the 80s. I'll have to google image search now)

That aside - agggh... its agonising. Pulse rifles vs plasma casters and all that - it'd be epic.

I've not read Sil's script, but I'm a firm believer in "follow your dreams" (assuming that SiL isn't already a paid up screenwriter working in the industry and has a realistic chance of doing this through "the business.") then it could be worth pursing.

That said, I think one would need an agent first to get a look in at this massive property?

I do know its pretty hard to get a shot doing anything like that as an "unknown" - sending unsolicited material is a minefiled, I think - there's the legal issues of copyright, but for me the bigger scare is that in many studios fine print is a line about owning the property. Let's say I send my "Expendabelles" script to Lionsgate (unsolicited). I'm pretty sure that some reserve the right to take and use in whatever, way, shape or form they want (I remember a line on one site about "present and yet to be invented media" - talk about covering your arse!)."

I used to think that "if it was good, they'll surely just say "this guy is great, let's use his stuff." But I really think the reality is "this stuff is great, lets get it re-written by someone we know!" I don't know why that's the case as most new scriptwriters would be happy at getting the thing made and work for buttons to do it. But, from my very limited experience, that seems to be how it does work.

However, I love it when things like SiLs script happen, so don't stop believing!

SM

SM

SiL's script will never happen.

Unfortunately, 'cos it had solid stuff in it.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: SM on Aug 13, 2014, 09:49:04 AM
SiL's script will never happen.

Unfortunately, 'cos it had solid stuff in it.

SM

SM

"Delusion is an imperfection that defiles the mind."

Russ

Russ

Tell that to JK Rowling. Or indeed, Paul WS Anderson.

SiL

SiL

I'd love to do something with the script one day, but I won't be in a position to do so for a very long time. There are a couple of bits in it I'm still proud of and will keep forever, even if I have to work them into other ideas, but for the most part, well, it is what it is: a rough draft fan script.

Russ

Russ

I hope you do, that'd be epic. Even getting into the position to do something would be a major achievement - while these "dream shots" do happen, I think its more likely that someone established would get a shot over someone who isn't, so to get a shot, you'd have to be in "the business" - which'd be brill!

Darkness

Darkness

I think I've definitely mellowed a lot since the early days. In the first year of AvP's release, most of my posts ended in various death threats towards Anderson.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2014, 10:33:39 AM
I'd love to do something with the script one day, but I won't be in a position to do so for a very long time. There are a couple of bits in it I'm still proud of and will keep forever, even if I have to work them into other ideas, but for the most part, well, it is what it is: a rough draft fan script.

Where is this script? I don't think I've had the pleasure.

Dill-On

Dill-On

I change my opinion. This movie is even worst now.
Action in Antarctica? This is soooo cheap. Idea for naive kids.
However - I still prefer much more this weak movie than Prometheus.
At least i can laugh from AVP.
Prometheus is not funny. This is very sad movie about giant squids and bald, agressive guys from space.

shakermakerman

Yup I was here, I remember you watching and reviewing the movie then shutting the site down lol good times eh? :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed