The feeling of anger

Started by Gate, Apr 03, 2014, 04:59:01 AM

Author
The feeling of anger (Read 7,738 times)

Master Chief

Master Chief

Better not. -_-

As for the topic, I'm slow to anger, but deep breaths will keep the monster inside caged.  ;)

Sabby

Sabby

When I see someone with the handle and avatar of the Master Chief discussing anger management, I just picture him in a Japanese sand garden fully clad and disassembling/cleaning his rifle.

Master Chief

Master Chief

While taking deep breaths.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Personally, I find a good book, a glass of Pinot, and or a match of Battlefield 4 will lower my stress levels. Fortunately, I seldom get worked up enough to warrant needing calming down. There are few problems that cannot be overridden by honest introspection and an honest evaluation of ourselves.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

I cry, hit something. Multiple ways about going about releaving anger.

But I have to say I'm glad I'm not thick skinned, I've never seen it as beneficial.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 05, 2014, 11:48:13 PM

But I have to say I'm glad I'm not thick skinned, I've never seen it as beneficial.

Absolutely right. Thick skin is usually a byproduct of passive aggressive behavior, which is not only a sign of weakness, but cowardice.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Mr. Sin on Apr 05, 2014, 11:52:05 PM
Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 05, 2014, 11:48:13 PM

Absolutely right. Thick skin is usually a byproduct of passive aggressive behavior, which is not only a sign of weakness, but cowardice.

Really? Indeed that seems plausable.

Sabby

Sabby

Thick skin doesn't mean bottling up anger, it's generally being able to take the punishment as it comes and internalize it later. It's an absolutely essential skill for anyone who wishes to debate or produce content, especially on the internet, where everything they say and do will likely be met with harsh criticism.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: Sabby on Apr 06, 2014, 12:23:50 AM
Thick skin doesn't mean bottling up anger, it's generally being able to take the punishment as it comes and internalize it later. It's an absolutely essential skill for anyone who wishes to debate or produce content, especially on the internet, where everything they say and do will likely be met with harsh criticism.

You make valid points. Kudos! :)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Sabby on Apr 06, 2014, 12:23:50 AM

I wasn't implying it was bottling up anger.
And being able to take criticism and having thick skin are two different things, I can take criticism but I'm sensitive and I wouldn't call that having thick skin, when someone uses the term it implies they are coated in skin which is insensitive and I don't see that as a positive.

Sabby

Sabby

You can have a thick skin and be sensitive at the same time. It's all about composure in the moment and dealing with things long term. Having a thin skin generally means you crack under sustained criticism. Having a thick skin means you can handle that. That's it. Your sensitivity is another factor entirely. You can be the most sensitive person ever and still have skin like granite.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Bullshit, in my experience anyway.

Topazora

Topazora

how is having thick skin a bad thing? I wish my skin were thicker, I'd like to not crack under pressure so easily, then I could speak my mind.  The only thing I have a thick skin for is my art, because I understand that in order to get better, I have to take criticism and critiques, and not take them as shot to who I am personally.
You have a balance of being emotional and rational, and have a good sense to know when you should be sensitive or a thick skin, and that comes with experience.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I sometimes make people really mad when I laugh at them when they are yelling at me. 

You can develop a thick skin.  I used to care what everybody think, then I had to work in customer service and realized how batshit insane most Americans are and developed a give no f**ks attitude.  Works well in the Army because I just tune all the other stuff out and listen to what people tell me.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Nowadays, I take deep breaths and rationally think about why the situation made me upset and how to correct it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed