Alien - River of Pain Details

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 07, 2014, 03:09:43 PM

Author
Alien - River of Pain Details (Read 8,206 times)

Corporal Hicks

Amazon has just put Alien – River of Pain, the third and final novel in Titan’s new Alien trilogy, up for pre-order. On that page are our first details of the upcoming novel:

The Alien film franchise has been embraced by sci-fi fans around the world. The film series stars Lieutenant Ellen Ripley and her battles with the deadly Xenomorph, commonly referred to as the Alien. For the first time, this novel will reveal the secrets behind the colonization of LV-426, the planet where the Alien was first found in Alien, and the setting for Aliens where a sole survivor was discovered – a young girl named Newt.”

Coverart for Christopher Golden's Alien - River of Pain Alien: Covenant: One Year Later - AvP Galaxy Podcast #68

Cover art for Christopher Golden’s Alien – River of Pain

Written by Christopher Golden, River of Pain is due out in November 2014. Thanks to Ultramorph for the news.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I put down my preorder, I didn't even hesitate.

predxeno

predxeno

Sounds like Newt is going to be the main character in the 3rd novel where Ripley was the main character in the 1st.

Corporal Hicks

I quite like the idea of telling the story of the Infestation. Never did like Newt's Tale so this could hopefully be a decent alternative.

Will throw a tantrum if Hoops somehow involved and Newt forgets though. XD

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2014, 10:11:07 AM
I quite like the idea of telling the story of the Infestation. Never did like Newt's Tale so this could hopefully be a decent alternative.

I agree, a novel about how Hadley's Hope got overrun is a good, common sense way to have a story set between the movies. I do hope we get a chapter or two with science officers exploring the Derelict trying to figure out what's going on. We'll probably get another gruesome med-pod scene, with them using it to remove the facehugger they find alive in Aliens, the patient dying in the process.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 08, 2014, 10:11:07 AM

It'd pretty much end up being the "The Thing prequel" of the Alien franchise, where we know something bad went down and we know a few minor tidbits (John J Marachuk, seismic charges were used, barricades, "looks like someone bagged one of Ripley's bad guys", etc) but we don't know all the details.

I'm totally okay with this.

Gazz

Gazz

Meh. If it is an alternative 'Newts tale' type story it'll probably end up being just as redundant.

Xenomorphine

"...the secrets behind the colonisation of LV-426."

It says nothing about the eventual incident. I'm seeing no 'Newt's Tale' vibe here.

Sounds suspiciously like the fan-boy theory of Weyland-Yutani building a colony in the express hope it'll get infested at some future time. Let's hope it's not.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 09, 2014, 03:12:11 AM
"...the secrets behind the colonisation of LV-426."

It says nothing about the eventual incident. I'm seeing no 'Newt's Tale' vibe here.

Sounds suspiciously like the fan-boy theory of Weyland-Yutani building a colony in the express hope it'll get infested at some future time. Let's hope it's not.

As long as those "secrets" don't involve the shadow organization Loki getting in contact with the Mala'kak and trading the human colonists for xenos, ala "Original Sin."  :laugh:

But I didn't really read it that way. The mention of Newt tells me that it will be about the infestation, as does the hint from a while back that Hicks will have an appearance, most likely in a few chapters set during the events of Aliens. My guess is that it'll expand on Hicks as father-figure.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

A new summary on Amazon indicates that Newt's parents will be the main characters, and that exploring the Derelict will be a big part of the story:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1781162727?pc_redir=1412271112&robot_redir=1#productDescription_secondary_view_pageState_1413583986068

When Ellen Ripley finally returns to Earth, she learns that the planet LV-426—now called Acheron—has been colonized. But LV-426 is where Ripley and the crew of the  Nostromo found the original Xenomorph—the killing machine known as the Alien.

Protected by the Colonial Marines, the colonists seek to terraform the storm-swept planet. Two such residents are Anne and Russell Jorden, seeking a fortune that eluded them on Earth. On Acheron, Anne gives birth to the colony's first newborn. Rebecca Jordan, also known as Newt.

The wildcatters discover a vast, decaying spaceship. The horseshoe-shaped vessel is of particular interest to Weyland-Yutani, and may be the answer to their dreams. But what Anne and Russ find on board proves to be the stuff, not of dreams, but of nightmares.

Corporal Hicks

I really love the idea of seeing the colony get infected but that revision of Colonial Marines being on the planet still worries me.

SM

SM

Why?

Corporal Hicks

No mention of them in Aliens. But that's always going to be the problem with revisionist stuff like this.

Btw, trying to sort out a preview of the book and a chat with Chris so keep your eyes out.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I'm really looking forward to this, experiencing the fall of Hadley's Hope could potentially be a great story.

But part of me feels they'll throw in something daft that will spoil the whole thing.

AIFF

AIFF

"But part of me feels they'll throw in something daft that will spoil the whole thing"

Hmmmm.......Retconn?  ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed