Need advice on a purchase

Started by titus007, Feb 27, 2014, 08:27:18 PM

Author
Need advice on a purchase (Read 463 times)

titus007

titus007

Looking to purchase a 1979 kenner alien in box (seller is asking 2500$).  I need some experts to tell me if this is a legit piece.  Here are some pics.  Hopefully the pics work :)

shadowedge

shadowedge

It looks like it may be legit but I honestly have no clue. I may be able to point you to someone who can help.

Michael Crawford over at http://www.mwctoys.com/ is very knowledgeable about all things action figures, I have emailed him in the past and he has helped me make some DC Comics toy decisions. He may be able to help you too.

You may want to ask at dedicated toy forums too. I'd imagine there are a lot of fakes, especially for something as rare and sought after as the original 79 Alien. Do you personally know the person selling it?

kfitch06

kfitch06

Eh...no offense but that's a really ugly figure. It looks like the New Born from Res. Too much skull...it wasn't that accentuated in reality.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Bro that looks like an incredible figure, and probably from the 70's, but you need to somehow determine that shit before you spend that kind of money. It could be a wonderful piece, but you need to... get a serial number or something? Don't they have serial numbers?

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Dont spend that much money! :P Jesus. I'm sure you can get a used one (but still in good condition) for way less on ebay :P

Zenstoren

Zenstoren

Jeeesh, the box isn't exactly mint and he's asking for $2500? I'd pass.

titus007

titus007

Thanks for the replies guys!

shadowedge: Thanks for the info, i'll try your guy and see if he can help me out.  p.s  I wish I new the guy then I wouldn't have to do the research on it.  If it was only graded!  :(

kfitch: Your right his not the prettiest alien but his the original. I'm a vintage guy!   :)

ragingdragon: There's a serial number on the box but with the repro boxes out there that number is useless.  p.s  the places where the box is sealed seem to match!

blacklabel: There are cheaper ones but I don't mind paying as long as it's mint the box and legit.  According to the seller it's 95% mint never out of the box and he is the original owner.

Here are a couple more pics and if anybody else wants to give there opinion I appreciate it!  Thank you!

zenstoren: You think that's high he was initially asking 3300$ and 2500$ is the low end ! :o But for now my main concern is if the piece is authentic. 

Zenstoren

Zenstoren

Damn, I see. Well if that figure really is the one for you then I'd go for it, but I can't help but think about how many nice Hot Toys figures I could get for that price ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed