ALIEN: The Archive (Mark Salisbury, September 2, 2014)

Started by Cvalda, Feb 20, 2014, 04:31:51 PM

Author
ALIEN: The Archive (Mark Salisbury, September 2, 2014) (Read 48,482 times)

Valaquen

Does the book talk about the early Alien scripts?

Neil Rudd

Neil Rudd

So, had the book for a few days now.  Sad to say it is a bit of a let down.  There's almost nothing in here that Alien fans haven't seen before.  The publishers press release on Amazon stated that the book would have new interviews with Giger amd Scott,  this is not the case,  only Weaver is interviewed.  Once you get over the initial size of it and start flicking you quickly realise you've seen it all before. 
I was really hoping it would be as in depth as the recent Star Wars making of books by JW Rinzler,  it's not even close.  There's literally nothing in the text that you won't have read before or watched in docs. I reckon it's going back to Amazon as a return.  For me it's as disappointing as the Alien vault release.

drsmuts

Yeah, I can see why people are disappointed. Perhaps the Ridley interview fell through between the press release and we don't even know if the Giger interview took place.

But I knew that with the page count, it was unlikely to be anywhere near as brilliant as the Rinzler Star Wars books (which are fantastic) and we have been rather spoiled with the Blu ray special features which are incredibly comprehensive.

But for £22, I'm happy with it, ff you are not sure, wait for the youtube reviews or till you can flick through in store.  :)

Elmazalman

Best bet,save yourself the cash and wait for it to turn up at the public library.I would love to see a in-depth volume on each film-like the Rinzler making-of original trilogy books.That would have been a worthy celebration of the 35th anniversary instead of this.

wmmvrrvrrmm

There are some statements in it by Ridley Scott that I haven't seen before. Perhaps the interview lasted five minutes

HuDaFuK

My copy arrived while I was away last week, but I haven't had a chance to have more than a cursory glance at it so far.

Even so, I still noticed the errant picture of an Alien 3 W-Y commando in amongst the Resurrection pages.

Miguel

Sorry for going off topic, but are there any news on The Weyland-Yutani Report? A release date, maybe?

I don't mean the very expensive one, from sideshow collectibles.

I have been checking Amazon UK every day and nothing shows up. Wasn't it supposed to come out before Christmas?

Thanks

Corporal Hicks

No news about it yet, unfortunately. I doubt we'll be seeing it until the New Year.

StrangeShape

Im on the fence with it. It looks like the ultimate Alien book, with all the info and great photos and layout in one place as one book, even if we already know everything thats written in it (kind of like Terminator Vault, its everything diehards know for a long time, but its a nicely designed piece that gathers it all), but it does include resurrection and I made big effort over the years not to own anything that includes that...thing. I bought Alien movies as separate pieces, not as quadrilogy so I wouldnt own resurrection, even if I lost of another disc of extras. I didnt buy Alien Vault because at the end it included Resurrection and had relatively brief writeup on it. I do not own any Aliens comic books released after Resurection. Theres many examples like that but I hate Resurrection more than any movie ever made in history because for me the alien trilogy was  just beautiful, complete perfection (again, imo), and not only resurection ruins it, but its an idiotic mockery. Anyway, Archive looks like a great set to have but since Resurrection's in it, Im not sure

Miguel

Thanks, Corporal Hicks. :)

Joda

Okay, this may seem odd...

Did anyone else receive a copy with the dustjacket mis-aligned? Normally, the publisher's name should be in the dead center of the spine, but on my copy it's way off to the right. I'm thinking it might drive me crazy every time I see it on my shelf like that. I wonder if I can re-fold it...  ???

HuDaFuK

Same on mine.

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Joda on Nov 05, 2014, 09:34:28 PM
Okay, this may seem odd...

Did anyone else receive a copy with the dustjacket mis-aligned? Normally, the publisher's name should be in the dead center of the spine, but on my copy it's way off to the right. I'm thinking it might drive me crazy every time I see it on my shelf like that. I wonder if I can re-fold it...  ???

On the inside flaps (front usually has snyopsis of book,the back flap author info) are they equal length? If one is longer then the other its possible the jackets were not placed on the binding correct. If they are even and the book spine is at the center of the dust jacket...its a printing error. You may be able to center it even if the title is misaligned. But the inside flaps won't be even or a crease from the original placement may be visible.

Corporal Hicks

Still awaiting my copy.   :-\

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Nov 05, 2014, 10:54:04 PMOn the inside flaps (front usually has snyopsis of book,the back flap author info) are they equal length?

They are on mine. Must be a misprint. Unless the dust covers were trimmed incorrectly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed