AvPG Previews Alien Isolation

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 10, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

Author
AvPG Previews Alien Isolation (Read 47,867 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Feb 18, 2014, 05:17:27 AM
Skin yes, muscle no, more like clock-work apart from the Facehugger.
Where do you ever see clockwork?

SM

SM

Or moisture winding it up?

It excretes gallons of moisture rather than consuming...

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Wait we weren't being sarcastic? I thought it would be a given that they have muscles lol

SM

SM

Ah, sarcasm.

...of course.

Glaive

Glaive

Not to worry anyone, but WHY has the PC version of 'Isolation' disappeared from amazon.co.uk?

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Glaive on Feb 18, 2014, 11:49:21 AM
Not to worry anyone, but WHY has the PC version of 'Isolation' disappeared from amazon.co.uk?

Updating hopefully, I will be so pissed if they don't release it on PC.

Engineer

Engineer

Ok, so I did some research on the exoskeleton issue, and I found some contradictory information...

I did find several sources which state "exoskeleton" or "carapace" which is the dorsal side of an exoskeleton. However, those sources were primarily fan-speculation, and unreliable sources. Ultimately, I think it depends on what 'you' consider to be cannon (aliens colonial marines, anyone?).

I'm not the type to suddenly change my mind about what I consider to be cannon just because it coincides with my perceptions in a debate, and unfortunately I don't consider one of the primary "exoskeleton" sources to be cannon (A:CM, anyone?). With that being said, I'm going to swallow my pride a little bit and admit that the alien was not originally intended to have an exoskeleton. I found interviews from Ridley Scott and H. R. Giger which do specifically say that they wanted the Alien's skin to be translucent to the point that you could see its skeletal structure, circulatory system and organs. However, due to the limitations in special effects at the time, Ridley decided to go with the rubber suit instead which happens to appear more exoskeletal. Other contributors to the franchise probably just assumed it was an exoskeleton also and ran with it (A:CM, anyone?).

But going back to the point I was originally trying to make, the alien's skeletal structure, whether endo- or Exo-, is still very rigid and covers a greater portion of its torso than ours (stomach and kidney areas) which would make it less flexible than ours. So I still don't think the alien's rib cage would expand/contract as it is breathing. But perhaps that's just a visual artifact of the rubber suit too. But again, it's all just speculation and a possible explanation as to why the alien dropped off the motion tracker when it stopped moving but not Dallas. Another possibility, just as likely but also speculatory, is that Dallas had some sort of locator chip in his pocket or something that the motion tracker was also reading in order to see his location while at a stand still...

As for the PC version of the game... It's probably just an update and we'll see it back up soon. We've seen that sort of thing with many games in the past (A:CM, anyone?).

Xhan

Xhan

1. Zero evidence the Alien uses digestion or respiration, and quite a large stock of circumstantial evidence pointing towards the opposite.

2. Aliens, Res and AvP clearly display endoskeletal as well as exoskeletal structuring.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Xhan on Feb 19, 2014, 02:16:33 AM
1. Zero evidence the Alien uses digestion or respiration, and quite a large stock of circumstantial evidence pointing towards the opposite.

2. Aliens, Res and AvP clearly display endoskeletal as well as exoskeletal structuring.

Uhmm... Where did digestion come from? Lol

Respiration was shown in aliens, and resurrection both... The queen's heavy breathing, and the fact you could see the alien's breath every time it exhaled in resurrection. I would say the fact that the alien could hiss/scream demonstrates breathing/respiration as well, but that really only shows that they have vocal cords. Lol.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

I wish someone had asked if they'd be shying away from the creatures inate sexuality.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

So how can Aliens survive in vacuum if they breathe? Has Resurrection ever counted with its wack cloned hybrid aliens? The 'breathing' could've easily been attributed to leftover Ripley juice. The Queen breathing is another story, but I still think it was probably just for dramatic effect.

I think people adopted 'exoskeleton' easily from all the bug bullshit, and the obvious biomechanical nature of the creature. Really no evidence to support this, but some to support the argument against it.

SM

SM

The Resurrection creatures are doing something like breathing - whether it's actual breathing like humans need to do is unknown.

They can scream underwater without exhaling.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Feb 19, 2014, 03:11:23 AM
The Resurrection creatures are doing something like breathing - whether it's actual breathing like humans need to do is unknown.

They can scream underwater without exhaling.
Yea... And the queen can scream in the vacuum of space too! Lol

Anyway... Breathing or not, the point I was trying to make was that the alien would be truly motionless and not Dallas, hence why the alien dropped off the motion tracker.

But who knows, it's an alien, it could potentially survive in the vacuum of space despite the need to breath. We don't know all of the mechanisms of its biology. But tardigrades can survive for a time in the vacuum of space! They don't breath like we do, but they still need oxygen nonetheless.

Birth_Machine

Quote from: Engineer on Feb 19, 2014, 03:26:57 AM
But who knows, it's an alien, it could potentially survive in the vacuum of space despite the need to breath. We don't know all of the mechanisms of its biology. But tardigrades can survive for a time in the vacuum of space! They don't breath like we do, but they still need oxygen nonetheless.

You're definitely onto something. The alien might breathe only when it's exerting and may not require respiration otherwise. Whatever the original intentions were, the biological properties of the Alien have drifted a bit through interpretation by a number of directors and screenwriters. We all love the films enough to rationalize these disparities, but the Alien does whatever a screenplay requires of it.

Regarding the endo-vs-exo question, maybe its support structure is outside of our conventional categories. Perhaps it's a series of tubes, like the internet :P. The external spine and ribcage indicate an exoskeleton, but the arms and legs show the opposite. The Alien form defies our attempts to neatly categorize it, and not knowing definitively lends to its mystery. Biomechanoids, as augmented and engineered beings, live in spite of nature.

SM

SM

Mesoskeleton.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed