A Song of Ice and Fire

Started by Shasvre, Feb 02, 2014, 05:06:18 PM

Author
A Song of Ice and Fire (Read 32,649 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 02, 2014, 09:38:35 PM
No, I haven't. You're gettin' me real excited, though!

It's absolutely mental and was for me, very unexpected. ;D

Quote from: Eva on Feb 02, 2014, 09:44:54 PMThis thread makes me wanna get started on the next one...

Which you should, as soon as possible. ;)

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

I'm currently on a FeastDance combination read for the first time. If anyone wants to try it, use this website as a guide: http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

It really is the best way to read books 4 and 5.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 02, 2014, 09:47:50 PM
Dooo eet.

Just be ready for half your favorite characters to not be in the book :D
After I finish this homework I'll read some. f**k the Superbowl.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Feb 02, 2014, 09:49:58 PM
I'm currently on a FeastDance combination read for the first time. If anyone wants to try it, use this website as a guide: http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

It really is the best way to read books 4 and 5.

I may do that on a reread down the line, but I actually don't mind the splitting up of narratives very much at all. In fact, given how long it took him between volumes, I think it was a better choice than splitting up by time.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

I think it was a good choice too. But you can tell that they are really one book when together, because the themes of the two work so well together. When it really gets down to it, Feast and Dance are about maintaining power and peace once you've attained it, and Jon, Dany, and Cersei all go through their own variation of this arc. Plus, I know some people don't really like books 4 and 5, but together they enhance the other.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yup, agreed completely. Thematically the two go hand in hand, and it should be really interesting to see exactly how they weave out of one another for narrative purposes in such a format. Definitely think I'm going to combine the two during my inevitable reread of the series.

Xenodog

Xenodog

When you say narrative splitting with the latest two, what do you mean?

Also...I'm really not a fan of book Daenerys. If you cut her out, other than some Ned / Robert dialogue in book one it would barely affect what goes on in Westeros. I swear she also gets bugger all in the way of true hardship. Everyone else dies, family dies, family is split up, gets awful weddings, is crippled or maimed or stripped of titles...and she gets dragons and swans about across the Narrow Sea going from strength to strength with her goddamn dragons.
Lord I hope she isn't the future queen.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Xenodog on Feb 02, 2014, 10:38:17 PM
When you say narrative splitting with the latest two, what do you mean?

After the release of A Storm of Swords, the series was going to be six books. While writing the fourth, however, Martin realized that the story had grown much larger than he had expected and realized that the next book had to be cut in half. He was left with two choices: split in in half based on timeline, or separate it into two books set at the same time but focusing on different halves of the cast. Martin chose the later. A Feast For Crows deals primarily with the events in Westeros (and expands into the previously little-explored realms of the Iron Islands and Dorne), while A Dance With Dragons mostly covers the events in Essos and up north beyond the Wall during the same time period.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Oh right, thanks. :)
Sounds alright then, I'm much rather prefer a geographical split than a chronological one.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Xenodog on Feb 02, 2014, 10:38:17 PMI swear she also gets bugger all in the way of true hardship. Everyone else dies, family dies, family is split up, gets awful weddings, is crippled or maimed or stripped of titles...and she gets dragons and swans about across the Narrow Sea going from strength to strength with her goddamn dragons.

[Spoilers for A Dance with Dragons]

Spoiler
Almost her entire family is murdered before she was more than a baby. Abused by her brother for most of her life, sold as a f**k toy to a barbarian king, raped, looses her husband, wanders the f**king desert, is almost killed by wizards, is betrayed by her most trusted companion, tries to be a good ruler and sees most of it go to shit in the end.
[close]

Yup, all smooth sailing. :D

As for not having anything to do with what is going on in Westeros. Of course the two storylines are going to be connected in the end. Not to mention as the story of her spreads in the seven kingdoms, she is becoming more and more involved without even knowing it, with some major players setting up their own plans for her.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 03, 2014, 06:27:43 AM
Quote from: Xenodog on Feb 02, 2014, 10:38:17 PMI swear she also gets bugger all in the way of true hardship. Everyone else dies, family dies, family is split up, gets awful weddings, is crippled or maimed or stripped of titles...and she gets dragons and swans about across the Narrow Sea going from strength to strength with her goddamn dragons.

[Spoilers for A Dance with Dragons]

Spoiler
Almost her entire family is murdered before she was more than a baby. Abused by her brother for most of her life, sold as a f**k toy to a barbarian king, raped, looses her husband, wanders the f**king desert, is almost killed by wizards, is betrayed by her most trusted companion, tries to be a good ruler and sees most of it go to shit in the end.
[close]

Yup, all smooth sailing. :D

As for not having anything to do with what is going on in Westeros. Of course the two storylines are going to be connected in the end. Not to mention as the story of her spreads in the seven kingdoms, she is becoming more and more involved without even knowing it, with some major players setting up their own plans for her.

I'd say it's smooth sailing :
Spoiler
Sold as 'f**k toy' (  :laugh: )- Winds up loving her arranged husband, everything went better than expected.
Asshole brother - he gets a satisfying death.
Loses her husband - gets DRAGONS in return.
Almost killed by wizards - Isn't killed though.
[close]
Compared to half the characters on Westeros :
Spoiler
Half the Starks, Lannisters or Baratheons and their courts are dead or losing multiple family members, yeah, I'd say it is smooth sailing for Daenerys in comparison!  >:(
[close]

You're right on it'll all tie in together eventually...just hope G.R.R.M really hurries up on that point. It's so annoying when things really pick up in Westeros and then is break-neak and then bam, Daenerys chapter.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Xenodog on Feb 03, 2014, 11:25:48 AM
Spoiler
Sold as 'f**k toy' (  :laugh: )- Winds up loving her arranged husband, everything went better than expected.
Asshole brother - he gets a satisfying death.
Loses her husband - gets DRAGONS in return.
Almost killed by wizards - Isn't killed though.
[close]

Spoiler
Only to loose that husband. Not exactly a win.

Asshole or not, he was still family. The Starks and the Lannister have lost a lot of their family members. Danerys have lost all of them (well, almost). How is she the winner here? She barely had a family because the Starks, Baratheons and the Lannisters murdered them all.

Gets dragons, yes. And while they put her in a position of power, they (especially Drogon) also cause her a shitload of trouble.
[close]

No one in GoT has it easy and I would say that Daenerys have gotten her fair share of trouble just like the rest of them. Heck, most of the Starks are still around. They only really lost Ned and Robb. And it's not exactly a big loss on the Lannisters. Tywin was awesome, but I'm sure none of us miss Joffrey all that much. :D

Xenodog

Xenodog

Are we relatively safe to discuss such spoilers here?...

And well yeah, Daenerys lost her family but all when she was too young to remember so there's hardly the emotional trauma of the Red Wedding. Bran is also crippled and Jaime loses a hand.
I agree Daenerys goes through the bad stuff, but it is nothing compared to what the families of Westeros go through I.M.O.

Anyways, Season 4, when do we think the big events will happen?
The Purple Wedding occurs literally a chapter or two (chronologically) after the Red Wedding. Do you think they may even open with that as first episode?
I also wonder what the big episode 9 punch will be for this season?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Xenodog on Feb 03, 2014, 01:51:13 PMAnd well yeah, Daenerys lost her family but all when she was too young to remember so there's hardly the emotional trauma of the Red Wedding. Bran is also crippled and Jaime loses a hand.

The Red Wedding wasn't that bad when you look at it.

Spoiler
Robb died, Catelyn came back. If we're talking about the trauma, she's proably the one who's feeling it. The Stark children weren't there and didn't get to watch it up front, so it's not as bad for them as it could have been. And Robb never lost his wife in the books, so there's that too.
[close]

Loosing the hand was maybe not so bad for Jaime. Seemed to humble him quite a bit, which he needed.

In my opinion the Baratheons suffered the least. Robert died as he lived, a drunk and Stannis took care of Renly himself.

Quote from: Xenodog on Feb 03, 2014, 01:51:13 PMThe Purple Wedding occurs literally a chapter or two (chronologically) after the Red Wedding. Do you think they may even open with that as first episode? I also wonder what the big episode 9 punch will be for this season?

I don't think it is going to be the first episode, but maybe the second or third?

As for the ninth episode, that has been more or less confirmed to be...

Spoiler
Mance Rayder's attack on the Wall.
[close]

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 03, 2014, 02:02:22 PM
Quote from: Xenodog on Feb 03, 2014, 01:51:13 PMAnd well yeah, Daenerys lost her family but all when she was too young to remember so there's hardly the emotional trauma of the Red Wedding. Bran is also crippled and Jaime loses a hand.

The Red Wedding wasn't that bad when you look at it.

Dude... :'(

Spoiler
Robb died, Catelyn came back. If we're talking about the trauma, she's proably the one who's feeling it. The Stark children weren't there and didn't get to watch it up front, so it's not as bad for them as it could have been. And Robb never lost his wife in the books, so there's that too.
[close]
Arya knew what happened though. Tv Arya also saw Grey Wind shot and the desecration of Robb's body. That's pretty damn traumatic!

Loosing the hand was maybe not so bad for Jaime. Seemed to humble him quite a bit, which he needed.
I agree it made him a better man but still...he lost a hand!

In my opinion the Baratheons suffered the least. Robert died as he lived, a drunk and Stannis took care of Renly himself.
Renly was still kinda' sad.
Agree on Robert though, by that point he almost seemed to want death. He hated being King.

I don't think it is going to be the first episode, but maybe the second or third?

As for the ninth episode, that has been more or less confirmed to be...

Spoiler
Mance Rayder's attack on the Wall.
[close]
I think second then?

Oh right cool. So goddamn looking forward to it. Also to (hopefully) see Varamyr.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed