Predator sequel in medieval times?

Started by sting3r, Jan 23, 2014, 08:42:18 PM

Author
Predator sequel in medieval times? (Read 7,386 times)

sting3r

sting3r

The cool thing about Predator is that he could be adapte to fit any point in human history. So how about a medieval era predator? I think the contrast would be fantastic - A Predator in a world of kings, castles, knights, barbarians, horseback warriors, chain mail armor etc. The ''invisible demon'' does his thing in a medieval ages conflict. What do you think?

OpenMaw

Yeah, but to what end?

See my biggest complaint with ideas like this is it's just taking the same thing we saw and moving it to another time. It feels like a gimmick. I mean, it's been done in the comics, where the Predator has been in a historical setting... But really whenever this idea is pitched for a movie it just seems like a glorified gimmick. "ITS PREDATOR, IN... (insert period of time.)"

I don't know. I'm in a bit of a jaded mood at the moment.

Russ

Russ

I've been reading the first three Aliens comics of late (vol 1, 2 and earthwar). In the letters page of one of them a reader notes her concern about the Aliens saying (I'm paraphrasing) "I love these comics but I worry with each issue that you're demystifying the Alien little by little -- a trend that will continue if this series goes on to multiple runs."

Prophetic, I guess, and I think the same thing applies here.

Trying to come up with new things to do with the predator might not be the way to look at it -- the story has to be a human one, I guess, and coming up with a way to weave the predator into that maybe another way to go.

I've not read the issues of the predator-in-the-past yet, though, so forgive me if this is ground already trodden -- but what can a historical setting add to the human conflict?

Warring factions that have to come together to battle the predator and thus learn to appreciate others (OK, I ripped that from AvP)?

But I'd be interesting to see a bunch of Romans circa the Dacian Wars having to deal with this issue -- and the Dacians.

Infected

NO

Russ

Russ

Thanks for that.

OpenMaw

I could see maybe playing upon the religious oppression of the time, and having the Predator seen, once again, as a demonic figure. Having him appear in a medieval church setting like an invisible specter, warping a cross behind him. Having someone seeing themselves as having "brought the curse" and being "in league" with the creature, only to later be killed by it unceremoniously.

But as far as to where it would lead? I mean, that's all this ever feels like to me. Let's take the Predator and stick them in a new setting... and ultimately just end up redoing the same things we've already seen and experience, with a slight twist. A very slight twist.

I mean, if you wanted to do it, you'd have to be really creative, hit at just the right time (when historical-theme movies were back in high popularity, for example.) and really sell it, because it's not exactly a main stream idea. People like urban settings, they like war zones, they like seeing modern day fighting men (Or even futuristic ones) fighting a creature like the Predator... Because, let's be honest. Nothing that existed in the Roman Era, or Medieval times, would stand a chance against a Predator. Nothing man portable, anyway. Cross bows, arrows, spears. Maybe some axes or swords, but i'd venture a guess the predator could cut those to pieces very easily.

Master

Master

But the whole point is modern weapons and stuff doesn't work. To kill predator one must use more primal  and atavistic part.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Master on Jan 24, 2014, 07:00:33 PM
But the whole point is modern weapons and stuff doesn't work. To kill predator one must use more primal  and atavistic part.

They work just fine. The problem time and again was bad luck, or the Predator getting the drop on his targets before they could accurately target him. The only "primitive" weapons that Arnold used against the Predator that did any damage, were an explosive tipped spear (using parts of a modern M203 round) and a large tree trunk. We saw on multiple occasions that if you *hit* the Predator in an unarmed spot with a gun, it will hurt, and eventually kill it. In the medieval times, any guards or knights or adventurers are going to be armed with swords, spears, sticks, and clubs. Just about all of which the Predator has a superior build of in his own arsenal, plus having greater strength, speed, and reach will mean he will win pretty much all the hand-to-hand engagements.

Master

Master

I`ll try one more time. Both Duch, Harrigan, Hanzo and Royce killed predator not because they had superior weapon then those avaliable in dark ages, but because they had a plan (Hanzo not really) and big piece of luck. All of those traps and scenarios could have been placed in nearly every time and area.

Xenomorphine

Has the built-in 'War Of The Worlds'-style irony of the Predator dying, not from a mortal blow, but the Black Death, after removing its mask to breathe in the lovely native air a bit too often.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 24, 2014, 12:47:49 AM
Yeah, but to what end?

See my biggest complaint with ideas like this is it's just taking the same thing we saw and moving it to another time. It feels like a gimmick. I mean, it's been done in the comics, where the Predator has been in a historical setting... But really whenever this idea is pitched for a movie it just seems like a glorified gimmick. "ITS PREDATOR, IN... (insert period of time.)"

Agreed. AvP:R sorta did this and placed these creatures in an urban setting, pitting them up against a pizza delivery guy and his buddies.

No offence to people working in the food industry, but I hope the 20th Century Fox suit who read that script and greenlit it (before handing it over to a director team with zero feature film directional efforts on their CV), is now flipping burgers at a local McD somewhere...

Wernest

Wernest

I will be working on a fan film set in Viking times, you might be interested ;)

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=49839.0

Layorz

Layorz

Quote from: Eva on Jan 27, 2014, 12:37:38 AM

No offence to people working in the food industry

What could anyone possibly say that could drag the esteem of a fast-food worker any lower than it already must be?

sting3r

sting3r

Quote from: Wernest on Jan 29, 2014, 08:10:41 AM
I will be working on a fan film set in Viking times, you might be interested ;)

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=49839.0

Wow! Sounds interesting!

Love the concept sketches on the facebook page. See thats the thing about Predator...it can be scaled to fit almost any time period in human history! Good luck with your film!

Valaquen

Valaquen

I think a Predator in Anglo-Saxon times ala Beowulf would be interesting, with the Predator substituting for Grendel. There hasn't been a great Beowulf film either, and the period seems pretty apt for the Predator. I'd see it (and chastise any inaccuracies!)

QuoteCross bows, arrows, spears.

Remember when Dutch fought the Predator with sharp sticks and bludgeoning traps in the first film...?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed