Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Novel 2)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 28, 2013, 12:56:28 AM

Author
Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Novel 2) (Read 52,845 times)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2014, 08:51:06 PM
If you want to get technical, references to Ripley's maternity leave appear on the inquiry screen in both cuts.  ;D

Is that the scene where Ripley is actually in the meeting with the Weyland-Yutani board?

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2014, 08:51:06 PM
But no, Amanda has no children.

Then I can see how Ripley having descendents after Amanda can be a problem.

-Rakai'Thwei

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2014, 08:23:40 PMShould we take what you say literally?
I don't see what that has to do with it. "Descendants" refers to blood line, that is the very definition of the word. "Successors" doesn't necessarily mean related by birth. The novel blurb uses the former. Someone I shared an experience with once and lived to tell about it isn't my descendant.

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2014, 08:23:40 PMBecause, according to the films, Ripley absolutely has a daughter.
Yeah, a daughter who had no children of her own, although I admit that's only mentioned in the extended version of Aliens. It's the descendants plural bit I don't get. But even if Amanda didn't have kids, and it refers to her alone... no one's telling Ripley about how her kid fought the Xenomorphs before she died? Besides, clearly no one knows about the Xenomorphs in Aliens, so it's pretty improbable humanity has had even more contact with them between the films.

SM

SM

Obvious answer is no one knows about the events with Amanda.

But ultimately we don't know, and not in a position to judge quite yet.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I wasn't judging per se, just voicing my own dislike of the concept. To me, roping in her family is just going to create unnecessary contradictions or, at the very least, huge improbabilities.

SM

SM

We'll find out soon enough.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 04, 2014, 09:09:41 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2014, 08:23:40 PMShould we take what you say literally?
I don't see what that has to do with it. "Descendants" refers to blood line, that is the very definition of the word. "Successors" doesn't necessarily mean related by birth. The novel blurb uses the former. Someone I shared an experience with once and lived to tell about it isn't my descendant.

Well, that was my own interpretation of it; as many people here have already said; the idea of roping Ripley's TRUE descendants into this is just one big mess, it's comic book stupid for obvious reasons, let alone the continuity issues presented with Amanda having NO kids.  Descendants being an analogy to successors makes much more sense in my opinion and is probably the path the books will actually take, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Well, it isn't clones. This is meant to be set before 'Aliens' and any reason to try and replicate her. 'Successors' would be a more accurate term if this was about people taking up the proverbial baton of Alien-killing (and would technically make everyone who's ever engaged in it, Hicks and Bishop, included, 'descendants'). The chosen word has very clear implications for family lineage.

Corporal Hicks

Just seen the title of the 3rd novel is called River of Pain.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Sea of Sorrow and River of Pain..

Am I seeing a water theme going on here? And River of Pain.. sounds like a gothic poem or a death metal song.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

Interesting.  Sea of Sorrows initially put me in mind of Fiorina.  This hints at Acheron (river of woe).

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Indeed, it looks like the third novel will be sticking to the Aliens, LV-426 roots. I wonder if it'll be some kind of hidden-history about what happened during the second film. Oh joy. (Not to judge it too harshly this early.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Jan 05, 2014, 10:52:27 PM
Interesting.  Sea of Sorrows initially put me in mind of Fiorina. This hints at Acheron (river of woe).

Good catch.

Although, this should mean the first book would have a water-themed title, too.

SM

SM

Doesn't seem like theres any water involved in that one - literally or thematically.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Some new info on Sea of Sorrows has come up on the author's blog (http://genrefied.blogspot.ca/2013/11/alien-sea-of-sorrows.html?m=1 ). A user asked if Hicks would be in the book, and Moore replied:

"Hi, Jeanbird! Sorry, I thought I'd responded. No, sadly, no Hicks. SEA OF SORROWS takes place several hundred years in the future from ALIEN and ALIENS despite their intimate connection. The third book, however...."

So it looks like the second novel will be set very far in the future, possibly even later than Resurrection, and also that River of Pain may very well be taking us back to Hicks and LV-426. Curiouser and curiouser.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Feb 01, 2014, 05:12:11 AM
"Hi, Jeanbird! Sorry, I thought I'd responded. No, sadly, no Hicks. SEA OF SORROWS takes place several hundred years in the future from ALIEN and ALIENS despite their intimate connection. The third book, however...."

I wonder if it will follow Aliens: Colonial Marines. Even if that game was a huge disaster.  :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed