Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Novel 2)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 28, 2013, 12:56:28 AM

Author
Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Novel 2) (Read 53,318 times)

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Just listed on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/Alien-Sea-Sorrows-Novel-2/dp/1781162700/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_2

The author is James A. Moore, the release is set for July 29, and this the description:

"The Alien film franchise has been embraced by sci-fi fans around the world. The series stars Lieutenant Ellen Ripley and her battles with the deadly Xenomorph commonly referred to as the Alien. Continuing the groundbreaking story from ALIEN: OUT OF THE SHADOWS by Tim Lebbon, this novel will reveal Ripley's legacy, as her descendants continue to be harried by the Weyland-Yutani Corporation in their unceasing effort to weaponize the aliens.

Produced by Twentieth Century Fox, the franchise launched with the release of the 1979 film, Alien. The film led to three very successful movie sequels, numerous books, comics and video game spinoffs. This second novel and its two tightly plotted tie-ins will directly relate to the first two films of the franchise, expanding the canon like never before."

My initial thoughts are that the whole "Ripley's descendants" thing sounds very, very strange. I don't know if this is going to tie in with the Alien: Isolation game or what, but we'll have to see. I wish they would leave the Ripley trough well enough alone, but I can't judge until I know more. Also, it looks from the second half of the description that this book will be ignoring Alien 3 and Resurrection. The "two tightly-plotted tie-ins" also have my interest piqued. Either way, summer 2014 will be quite a busy time for Alien and Predator fans!

On another note, James A Moore's blog has a post about the novel that's worth checking out, if only for the fact that it reveals Novel 3 will be written by Christopher Golden and have the title "Alien: River of Pain."

genrefied.blogspot.com/2013/11/alien-sea-of-sorrows.html

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I love how they use the word "canon" right there in the product description.

Nightmare Asylum

Canon certainly is a word.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Such an absurd, fan fictiony premise.

predxeno

predxeno

Wow, nice find, Ultramorph, thanks.

QuoteProduced by Twentieth Century Fox, the franchise launched with the release of the 1979 film, Alien. The film led to three very successful movie sequels, numerous books, comics and video game spinoffs.

THREE.  VERY SUCCESSFUL.  Movie sequels?

EJA

EJA

Ripley's descendants? Perhaps her daughter did have a child or two, after all. That's the only way I could see it happening, unless Ripley Clone 8 procreates at some point, but surely not that!

Ultramorph

Quote from: EJA on Dec 28, 2013, 08:14:11 PM
Ripley's descendants? Perhaps her daughter did have a child or two, after all. That's the only way I could see it happening, unless Ripley Clone 8 procreates at some point, but surely not that!

Yeah, a novel about the USM chasing Ripley 8's kids to get their Alien DNA would be too ridiculous even for fan fiction.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

QuoteProduced by Twentieth Century Fux, the franchise launched with the release of the 1979 film, Alien. The film led to three very successful sequels, trailed and surged by numerous bland books, sub-par comics and lackluster video game spinoffs. This second novel and its two overtly contrived, ham-fisted tie-ins are directly shoehorned in there to cheapen the original films of the franchise, screwing around with the already mangled canon like never before."

Cvalda

Cvalda

:laugh:

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 28, 2013, 09:14:38 PM
QuoteProduced by Twentieth Century Fux, the franchise launched with the release of the 1979 film, Alien. The film led to three very successful sequels, trailed and surged by numerous bland books, sub-par comics and lackluster video game spinoffs. This second novel and its two overtly contrived, ham-fisted tie-ins are directly shoehorned in there to cheapen the original films of the franchise, screwing around with the already mangled canon like never before."
That sure is an opinion.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 28, 2013, 02:35:43 PM
Canon certainly is a word.
It's just hilarious for all the times people say things like "it's a fact that the EU isn't canon" and the official press releases keep getting more and more blatant about throwing that "fact" right back in people's faces. :D

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 29, 2013, 06:13:46 AM
It's just hilarious for all the times people say things like "it's a fact that the EU isn't canon" and the official press releases keep getting more and more blatant about throwing that "fact" right back in people's faces. :D
Right up until the next press release where they say they're restarting from scratch ;D

Ah, but that can be ignored and retconned. Only things which agree to "everything is canon" is actually literal.

Nightmare Asylum

The "fact" sells books. And video games, too. Case in point, Colonial Marines.

I'm content with just making up my own mind and ignoring everything that sounds stupid. I can (and will) definitely do without a resurrected Hicks, Ripley's adventures between films, and that upcoming game about her daughter.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Dec 29, 2013, 07:16:23 AM
Right up until the next press release where they say they're restarting from scratch ;D
Hasn't happened yet, and even when fans got the wrong idea about them starting from scratch (the upcoming Dark Horse "reboot"), we still had Dark Horse people stepping in to specifically clarify that it's not actually a "reboot" reboot. :P

happypred

happypred

I'm not too crazy about Ripley's descendants being involved. I thought Ripley was an excellent character but I'm not too keen on this franchise being forever tied to Ripley.

EJA

EJA

Quote from: happypred on Dec 30, 2013, 10:20:53 AM
I'm not too crazy about Ripley's descendants being involved. I thought Ripley was an excellent character but I'm not too keen on this franchise being forever tied to Ripley.

Agreed. Time to let her go.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed