ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 387,079 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Engineer on Apr 28, 2017, 01:41:05 PMWhat does the collectors edition have that the std. Edition lacks?

Clicky.

The book's essentially identical. All you get are some added inserts and that funky slipcase.

426Buddy

Quote from: windebieste on Apr 28, 2017, 09:26:21 AM
...er, wut?  Really?  lol.

Sorry, no.  I haven't read it. 

That's a perfect example of exactly the kind of reason I don't read those books.  The fan service is just too rich.

-Windebieste.

The book is worth it just for Locusta's art alone, but it's a fun recap of the alien film universe and definitely worth the $30 bucks I got it for on Amazon.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 28, 2017, 01:44:14 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Apr 28, 2017, 01:41:05 PMWhat does the collectors edition have that the std. Edition lacks?

Clicky.

The book's essentially identical. All you get are some added inserts and that funky slipcase.
Thanks!

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 28, 2017, 02:38:25 PM

That's a perfect example of exactly the kind of reason I don't read those books.  The fan service is just too rich.

-Windebieste.

The book is worth it just for Locusta's art alone, but it's a fun recap of the alien film universe and definitely worth the $30 bucks I got it for on Amazon.

I agree! I've been keeping up with all the newer books (although falling behind on comics), and this would have to be one of my favorites! Adds nice little tid bits about character backgrounds and such. I was about half way through this book when I got "bug hunt." I started reading big hunt (largely disappointed with it so far), but plan to return to WY report very soon. It's easy to stop and start again too, which I like. The artwork is beautiful! I'm really intrigued by the "star beast" excerpt too; Morse was one character I always wanted to see more of, after alien 3, and the "star beast" excerpt is the closest we have ever been to that. I'm still hoping for a full on "star beast" book telling the story through Morse's eyes, and maybe a little bit about what happened to him afterwards.

SM

gantarat

I wonder Alien Bible 10 page book will override report book ?

Xenomrph

-Windebieste.
That was one of my issues with the WY Report at first, but after talking with the author I understand why it's done that way. The book's purpose is an in-universe recap of the Alien movies (and Prometheus), and it's catering to the things that casual fans liked or remembered the best. It's why WY is back, or why the Pulse Rifle gets a multi-page spread touting it as the ultimate Alien-killing weapon (despite being centuries old when the book is set), or why the first two Alien movies get the lion's share of the content.

Viewed strictly as an in-universe document it feels really out of place, but viewed in the context of the book's out-of-universe purpose, it makes a lot more sense.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 29, 2017, 03:09:34 AM
It's why WY is back, or why the Pulse Rifle gets a multi-page spread touting it as the ultimate Alien-killing weapon(despite being centuries old when the book is set)

As a fan I can say I am not happy to see W-Y back or the Pulse Rifle, no I don't hate them, quite the opposite in fact, I just think the franchise needs to move away from the second movie's shadow which means dropping the "pulse rifle and CMs with Vietnam era attitude" thing and also move away from the "evil bond villain spectre company" angle which is not only tiresome but really stupid, I prefer them to be ambiguous and morally grey like they were in first three films and not the camp moustache twirling folks we get in the eu . Hell even
Spoiler
Defiance is getting this
[close]

TheBATMAN

As an in-universe thing it is fine because it vastly expands a number of elements that have never really been expanded on in the past. The book does a retelling of each movie in the form of a historical archive so it is perfectly fine there are sections detailing the pulse rifle etc. I see no problem there.

And Weyland Yutani was resurrected before this book came to pass.

windebieste

Cheesy... just as cheesy as the Enterprise appearing, re appearing and appearing again - even when it's destroyed.  Cheese, cheese, cheese and more cheese.  ...with extra helpings of cheese. lol.

-Windebieste.

TheBATMAN

I agree it's comeback was not necessary.

Local Trouble

Indeed.  I couldn't get even through the first one because of the gratuitous inclusion of Ripley.

Xenomrph

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 29, 2017, 10:52:09 AM
As an in-universe thing it is fine because it vastly expands a number of elements that have never really been expanded on in the past. The book does a retelling of each movie in the form of a historical archive so it is perfectly fine there are sections detailing the pulse rifle etc. I see no problem there.

And Weyland Yutani was resurrected before this book came to pass.
Detailing the pulse rifle is fine, but not offering any insight into any other weapons in the series (i.e., ones that didn't get an entire sub-chapter in a previous book) is pretty wacky, and then declaring it the Best Alien Killing Weapon Ever is a little weird and fanboyish. Like I said, in-universe it seems like a bizarre shift in priorities (and why bother spending pages on the Pulse Rifle when, from the WY Report's in-universe perspective, a much more comprehensive in-universe document already exists?), but as a fan-service book, it makes a lot more sense.

Also I wouldn't say it really "vastly" expands on anything we didn't already know from the movies. Sure it adds some cool stuff, but it's nothing huge (and according to the author, that was intentional).

TheBATMAN

It clarifies a great deal of points, such as the synthetic history, Special Order 937, Michael Bishop and many other bits to help solidify and tighten up the lore. It's a great source book for the franchise and I think it's unfair to criticise it because they tried to present it as an in-universe archive rather than just a standard supplementary material book.

Engineer

Yea I agree. Presented as "in universe" was a unique and fun approach. I found it refreshing actually.

Xenomrph

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 29, 2017, 04:28:55 PM
It clarifies a great deal of points, such as the synthetic history, Special Order 937, Michael Bishop and many other bits to help solidify and tighten up the lore. It's a great source book for the franchise and I think it's unfair to criticise it because they tried to present it as an in-universe archive rather than just a standard supplementary material book.
I think it's a pretty fair criticism. As an in-universe archive, it's creative but flawed. As a supplementary book for fans, it's pretty cool and worth checking out.
There was a LOT more they could have done with the concept if it was written as an in-universe archive first, and a supplementary book second - but according to the author, that wasn't FOX's goal for the project.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed