ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,877 times)

Perfect-Organism

Ok, this book really sounds awesome!  The more I hear the better it gets.  My wallet is getting seriously itchy...

SM

QuoteCome on! You can't say which character?! Can you at least specify the movie the character appears in? Lol I suspect Alien 3...

It's not an odd numbered film...  ;)

There's a tiny bit about terraforming but essentially the stuff about LV-426 is taken from the films.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Aug 11, 2015, 01:45:14 AM
QuoteCome on! You can't say which character?! Can you at least specify the movie the character appears in? Lol I suspect Alien 3...

It's not an odd numbered film...  ;)

There's a tiny bit about terraforming but essentially the stuff about LV-426 is taken from the films.
Ok so that leaves us with alien 4??? Prometheus would be odd numbered because it's the first in its own series? Or is that considered unnumbered which means it's not exactly odd numbered either? I think it's from alien 4!!!

PS. If I ask what's added about terraforming, you're going to give another cryptic answer, right? Lol. :-)

PPS. Come to think about it... Technically resurrection doesn't have "4" in the title! None of them do, except alien 3! So if "not odd numbered" is referring to the title rather than it's chronological release, you've really only ruled out 1 movie!

I know there were canonical first names for everyone in alien, and aliens... And I now know it's not anyone in alien 3 for sure... I suppose I should look up whether there's anyone in alien resurrection who lacks an official first name or not... Damn it! You're going to make me do work for this!! Lol

SM

QuotePS. If I ask what's added about terraforming, you're going to give another cryptic answer, right? Lol. :-)

Can't give everything away, dude!  ;D

QuoteI know there were canonical first names for everyone in alien, and aliens...

Were there?

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Aug 11, 2015, 02:22:22 AM
QuotePS. If I ask what's added about terraforming, you're going to give another cryptic answer, right? Lol. :-)

Can't give everything away, dude!  ;D

QuoteI know there were canonical first names for everyone in alien, and aliens...

Were there?
Ok, yea. Just looked around and nope! I guess there wasn't. I didn't see one for Ash (but I have a good feeling it ain't him), and a couple of characters with small roles in aliens. But I'm still assuming it isn't aliens because I'd image the first names for any of those characters would be shared with the actor/actress who portrayed them (like with most of the marines). I'm still thinking it's someone in alien 4 or prometheus...

How about this... How much screen time did the character have?

SM

Approximately 62 minutes and 33 seconds.

Give or take.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Aug 10, 2015, 08:13:02 AM
QuoteSorry it's something I've picked up quite recently from the gaming groups. It essentially means in-universe reasons. Not as widespread as I thought?

"fluff" sounds inconsequential and dismissive.
"Fluff" is more of a tabletop gaming term, it refers to backstory fiction that has no bearing on gameplay. From a gameplay perspective, it largely is inconsequential and dismissive, but game developers/writers put it in as a way to give "flavor" or "personality" to characters/armies/whatever.

Basically anything that's not strictly hard-line stats-and-numbers used in actual gameplay is "fluff".

I think fluff is super-cool. I've bought several RPG/tabletop wargame sourcebooks and whatnot strictly for the fluff, with absolutely no intention of ever playing their associated games.

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Aug 11, 2015, 03:28:36 AM
Approximately 62 minutes and 33 seconds.

Give or take.
Oh geez! That's hardley a small role! Lol

Is that all actual time onscreen? Or the runtime from beginning up until the characters demise?

Corporal Hicks

I'm gonna have to crack out the book later and have a look for you.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Pretty sure I might know who SM is talking about, but I won't say. All I'll say is... the character did sort of have a first name before, but never one that was officially confirmed, just inferred, and this book now changes that for a new one.

One goof I have noticed in this book - Vriess' character bio on the Betty crew page says he died on the USM Auriga, when he clearly didn't. It's not even a case of in-universe mixed-up or incomplete info on the part of the report writer, because a little later it mentions that he survived the incident! Whoops :) In fact, the book also gives Vriess' first name as Dom, when the novelization of the film calls him John. It's a bit strange as the other Resurrection first names in the report tie up with those that were given in the novel, and a bunch of other book-only stuff is mentioned (like Kawlang).

SM

SM

Vriess 'death' - and a few other things - should be corrected if there's any future printings.

I deliberately didn't correct his first name.  Between Jonathan Clemens, Jonathan Gediman, Johner - too many 'Johns'.  And as Danelle was using an established precedent for naming (used on some prisoners and the Prometheus crew as well) I thought Dom suited him better anyway.

The subject of names came up with Kane and the other Nostromo crew too.  They're all like 'Arthur Dallas', 'Ellen Ripley', but Kane was Gilbert Ward 'Thomas' Kane.  I pointed it out, but they liked the full name for Kane, so it stayed.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Aug 11, 2015, 08:09:49 AMI deliberately didn't correct his first name.  Between Jonathan Clemens, Jonathan Gediman, Johner - too many 'Johns'.  And as Danelle was using an established precedent for naming (used on some prisoners and the Prometheus crew as well) I thought Dom suited him better anyway.

That's fair enough, was just something I noticed.

Quote from: SM on Aug 11, 2015, 08:09:49 AMThe subject of names came up with Kane and the other Nostromo crew too.  They're all like 'Arthur Dallas', 'Ellen Ripley', but Kane was Gilbert Ward 'Thomas' Kane.  I pointed it out, but they liked the full name for Kane, so it stayed.

The first name Thomas is given in a few places, like the novel for one. I got a chuckle out of the fact they included it as an alias.

SM

The novel is the original (and only) source for Thomas to my knowledge.  I don't think it was any script draft and ADF made it up.  I always thought it was a nickname.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 11, 2015, 02:03:29 AM
Come on! You can't say which character?! Can you at least specify the movie the character appears in?

It is:

Spoiler
Scott Milburn (with one "L") from Prometheus. Formerly Rafe Millburn, biologist.  ;)
[close]

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 11, 2015, 11:29:30 AMIt is:

Spoiler
Scott Milburn (with one "L") from Prometheus. Formerly Rafe Millburn, biologist.  ;)
[close]

Spoiler
Well if I'd known SM's first name was Scott, that would've made working out who it is a lot easier!
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed