Ridley Scott confirms progress with Prometheus 2

Started by ShadowPred, Oct 27, 2013, 05:03:04 AM

Author
Ridley Scott confirms progress with Prometheus 2 (Read 55,790 times)

whiterabbit

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Engineers end up being the Darth Maul of the Alien prequel-verse.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Nov 11, 2013, 08:56:16 AMI'd certainly like to see more of the Giger vibe, but I'm still not sure I want to see xenos, facehuggers etc.

My inner fan is kicking me in the kidneys as I write this, but I agree. Adding xenos and huggers back in - even using a more 'Gigerish' aesthetic on the environments - will feel like a bit of a double-take at this point, unless it is done in a really clever and relevant way. As much as I love that stuff I hope Prometheus sticks to its guns and fleshes out its own world and story, because dog knows it needs some fleshing out. The ball is rolling so they might as well run with it, and who knows, it could become something really good.

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Nov 11, 2013, 09:51:35 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Nov 11, 2013, 08:56:16 AMI'd certainly like to see more of the Giger vibe, but I'm still not sure I want to see xenos, facehuggers etc.

My inner fan is kicking me in the kidneys as I write this, but I agree. Adding xenos and huggers back in - even using a more 'Gigerish' aesthetic on the environments - will feel like a bit of a double-take at this point, unless it is done in a really clever and relevant way. As much as I love that stuff I hope Prometheus sticks to its guns and fleshes out its own world and story, because dog knows it needs some fleshing out. The ball is rolling so they might as well run with it, and who knows, it could become something really good.
Agreed - let's see some new iconography...

PsyKore

The problem, though, is that Prometheus has already attached itself to Alien from the get-go, so it can't really be its own thing with its own image. It's always going to come back to Alien and people are always not going to like it if it doesn't meet the same visual style and tone - if it doesn't "fit" in the universe.

I don't believe it could become stale if it was the same in style as Alien because a proper story with the Jockies and expanding on the weaponized Aliens and showing their true terror is interesting enough given the right care.

It's just really stupid of Ridley Scott to want to separate away from Alien, but also at the same time still connect it in a parallel manner. It just doesn't work. I dunno, It just would be nice to have some consistency, that's all.

Darth Vile

Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 12, 2013, 07:22:37 AM
The problem, though, is that Prometheus has already attached itself to Alien from the get-go, so it can't really be its own thing with its own image. It's always going to come back to Alien and people are always not going to like it if it doesn't meet the same visual style and tone - if it doesn't "fit" in the universe.

I don't believe it could become stale if it was the same in style as Alien because a proper story with the Jockies and expanding on the weaponized Aliens and showing their true terror is interesting enough given the right care.

It's just really stupid of Ridley Scott to want to separate away from Alien, but also at the same time still connect it in a parallel manner. It just doesn't work. I dunno, It just would be nice to have some consistency, that's all.
I can see your point... but for me it's like Star Wars e.g. there can be stories that can fit perfectly fine within that universe that don't need to contain Jedi, Yoda, Imperials etc. The focus of Prometheus, with or without xenos, always seemed to be more about the Engineers and the culture that would/could use biological weaponry. Whilst Prometheus, as a film, wasn't in the same league as Alien and Aliens... the underlying narrative/conceit is one worthy of further exploration - more so than aliens in air vents etc. etc. IMHO.

worldpeace

Quote from: Darth Vile on Nov 12, 2013, 10:12:20 AM

I can see your point... but for me it's like Star Wars e.g. there can be stories that can fit perfectly fine within that universe that don't need to contain Jedi, Yoda, Imperials etc. The focus of Prometheus, with or without xenos, always seemed to be more about the Engineers and the culture that would/could use biological weaponry. Whilst Prometheus, as a film, wasn't in the same league as Alien and Aliens... the underlying narrative/conceit is one worthy of further exploration - more so than aliens in air vents etc. etc. IMHO.
it comes down to new and creative scenarios for xenos to be intimidating in..  also i think a xeno needs an nc17 rating to really f**k with peoples fear and phobia in todays world.

whiterabbit

Quote from: worldpeace on Nov 13, 2013, 09:34:35 AM

it comes down to new and creative scenarios for xenos to be intimidating in..  also i think a xeno needs an nc17 rating to really f**k with peoples fear and phobia in todays world.
No it doesn't... I want an awesome movie with themes and stuff, not outright sexual assault of multiple orifices by tails, little mouths or trilobite tentacles. An Alien(Prometheus) movie should be something that you can take the entire family to.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 13, 2013, 12:07:39 PM
Quote from: worldpeace on Nov 13, 2013, 09:34:35 AM

No it doesn't... I want an awesome movie with themes and stuff, not outright sexual assault of multiple orifices by tails, little mouths or trilobite tentacles. An Alien(Prometheus) movie should be something that you can take the entire family to.

The alien is no longer scary so it was the right decision to ditch it. And if they attempted to create situations to make it scary again it would be nothing more than a Freddy Krueger or Jason. Realistically the only people who want yo see the alien again are kids

StrangeShape

I disagree. The alien is still scary when I watch the trilogy, and some comic books especially show me that the creature can be still presented in unique ways and be featured in horror stories. Its all about presentation. Nolan made Batman serious and scary again after Schumacher farce, and even the Chucky franchise managed to steer back into horror direction after the two self parodying movies

worldpeace

Quote from: StrangeShape on Nov 13, 2013, 06:08:51 PM
I disagree. The alien is still scary when I watch the trilogy, and some comic books especially show me that the creature can be still presented in unique ways and be featured in horror stories. Its all about presentation. Nolan made Batman serious and scary again after Schumacher farce, and even the Chucky franchise managed to steer back into horror direction after the two self parodying movies
i agree. just because the shit hit the fan with avp doesn't mean it cant be fixed. if it's impossible to fix then humans and art have more limits than i realised .

hfeldhaus

I do agree with you somewhat I just think that only certain parts of the alien can be made scary but one of them isn't the matured alien. There's not a lot of situations left in which to put the alien. On the other hand I still think the most terrifying part is the facehugger and chestburster. Reading spaihts script I would have genuinely being scared of the sex chestburster and David torturing Shaw with a facehugger. But the alien is past its sell by date when it comes to scares. But that's not to say it isn't the greatest movie monster and of course it's just my opinion

StrangeShape

I agree that the latest movies, or rather avp:r destroyed the alien image, by showing them as mindless bugs easily wiped out by one hand by a space Clint Eastwood, or even killed by a pizza boy (!), but I still think with the right context it can be scary again. Ridley managed to create at least some dread with the appearance of the Deacon

maledoro

Quote from: StrangeShape on Nov 13, 2013, 09:44:21 PMRidley managed to create at least some dread with the appearance of the Deacon
"Oh, crap. Another alien hybrid; this time from another humanoid being. Great."

Blacklabel

"Just in time to do absolutely f**k all in the story".

SiL

Yeah, I don't see how a last-second pop up right before credits can instill much dread...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed