Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,545 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Love that they're doing a big hardcover. Will have to pick it up! It's released just before my birthday too.  ;D Buying singles is such a pain in the ass - does anyone have recommendations on storage for singles?

As for the extra content - I'm curious. I doubt it'll be the "older" versions of the story. I'm thinking TheBatman will be correct here with the sketches and etc. But I'll happily be wrong. W

So I ordered the hardback so I could see what's in it and have it all collected. I'm starting to dislike buying singles. Just from a storage POV.

We just finished our podcast for the Fire and Stone series earlier this week. Reviewing the audio at the minute. I'm still struggling to write my reviews too.  :-\

chuck_yautja

Hi.

I just finished reading the completed Dark Horse Fire and Stone saga.  It was really cool for me.  I enjoyed a lot.  Ahab Predator has became one of my favorite Preds.  Share your thoughts.

Corporal Hicks

Hi Chuck!

We've actually got a thread going about Fire and Stone in the Literature board: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=49244.1260

Ultramorph

I'm looking forward to the podcast, and I agree with the ambivalent feelings about Fire and Stone. I liked it overall, but it left me wanting more and wishing they had gone in a few different directions.

Corporal Hicks

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2015, 07:25:57 AM
Love that they're doing a big hardcover. Will have to pick it up! It's released just before my birthday too.  ;D Buying singles is such a pain in the ass - does anyone have recommendations on storage for singles?

I just put them in the standard "bags and boards" sold at your local comics shop to keep them safe and then I stuff them in a box or drawer somewhere where they will hopefully inflate in value but never be opened again.  Yeah, collecting singles really is a pain. :(

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Another fine effort. Agreed AVP was the weakest. Clearly someone was a Resident Evil fan as Elden looked very similat to the Type T-001 Tyrant and I believe some of the final survivors were a couple named Chris and Jill which was another reference.

Corporal Hicks

Thanks for the compliment. We forgot to talk about the Ahab and Engineer fight though! Can't believe that.  :-[

Perfect-Organism

Thanks for the review guys.  I can't really disagree with what's been said.  I guess that I am ok with a lot of the "off-the-wall" stuff if we go with the multi-verse idea that has been bandied about so much lately.  But if this is canon, then that means there is a potential for a lot of this stuff on film, and I just don't see it translating well.  Elden is basically a super-villain right out of a comic book.  I can't go into detail now because I am not going to read these books again until the hardcover comes out.

One key thing about the Aliens series that I am surprised nobody picked up on is the color scheme.  I mean if this is supposed to be basically a prequel to Aliens, and it is on location on Hadley's Hope, all the colors are totally off.  It was like the colorist never saw the film.  I found the whole vibe of the film was just missing.  Note to colorist:  Use more blue.  It's the James Cameron way.

SM

SM

Why would LV-223 look like LV-426?

Perfect-Organism

As I said, I haven't read this in a while, but if I remember correctly, a good portion of it takes place on LV-426.  In which case, go blue.  Even on LV-223, the basic color scheme in the Prometheus film was a cool grey with hints of a greenish yellow.  The Aliens series just failed to capture the vibe of any of the films for me.  Also, if I remember correctly, there were hardly any backgrounds drawn in.  That's just lazy.  But my memory may fail me.  I await the hardcover to do a good reread.

I did like Prometheus the most.  I think those comics captured the look and feel of the film the most and even though I would consider myself as someone with an advanced understanding of the franchise, I feel that the casual reader who saw the film would appreciate the look and feel of the Prometheus comics.  The same can't be said for the Aliens comics.  Now 30 years did pass by mind you but still, it just doesn't capture the vibe.

SM

SM

The first half dozen pages or so take place on LV-426.  Everything else happens on LV-223.  Which has changed significantly since Prometheus - so it stands to reason it'll look different.

I don't think you're remembering correctly.

The only thing that might be construed as "lazy" was, as I think Ridgetop pointed out, the same pose re-used on many of the Aliens.

Perfect-Organism

Fair enough.  I may try to pull up the Aliens series of comics over the weekend to get a better handle on what really irked me.  I enjoyed reading those the least.

SM

SM

The only problem I had was how the Hadley survivors lived so long with no real defences, while constantly bickering about what to do.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Aug 21, 2015, 03:33:43 AM
The only thing that might be construed as "lazy" was, as I think Ridgetop pointed out, the same pose re-used on many of the Aliens.

Indeed. The only "lazy" thing in the artwork was the posed nature of Reynold's style. When he wasn't tracing a screenshot or a bunch of actors, I found his style to be quite fitting.

I just finished my first draft of the review.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed