Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,559 times)

happypred

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Mar 18, 2014, 01:27:44 AM
So if these new comics start contradicting the old ones, heavily.

Is the comics/Prometheus considered new testament/new EU?

And the old considered old comics/AVP (2004) considered old testament/ old EU?

The "old testament" isn't even internally consistent. The inconsistency between Hunter's Planet and War is a glaring example

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Mar 18, 2014, 02:11:09 AM
Are you afraid they'd reinvent Predator culture?

As long as it's good, I don't mind a re-imagining of the predator mythos. I would prefer something that's not a radical departure from the old EU. The Hish was a radical departure. The Yautja concept isn't perfect but it's what I grew up with. I hope they keep some elements of it.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 18, 2014, 02:35:42 AM
I really hope the Deacons are not replacing Xenomorphs entirely in this new series...
Have nothing against deacons but this isn't Deacons vs. Predator. I want this new series to remind me of why I found xenomorphs really disturbing as a kid

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Mar 18, 2014, 01:13:56 PM
The "old testament" isn't even internally consistent. The inconsistency between Hunter's Planet and War is a glaring example

That's because Hunter's Planet was written as a novel sequel to Prey, and was published some five years before the novel adaptation of War. Hunter's Planet was retconned with the publication of War and Three World War cemented that.

Of course some folks can argue that Hunter's Planet can still happen.  ::)

Quote from: happypred on Mar 18, 2014, 01:13:56 PM
As long as it's good, I don't mind a re-imagining of the predator mythos. I would prefer something that's not a radical departure from the old EU. The Hish was a radical departure. The Yautja concept isn't perfect but it's what I grew up with. I hope they keep some elements of it.

I would hope that they keep the Yautja concept as a whole. Period. But something tells me that's something which will likely not be referenced at all (never was mentioned in the old comics) and unless new Predator novels are coming out which doesn't seem to be the case, I don't think we'll be seen the Yautja mythos returning to the scene anytime soon.. despite the Yautja concept being the generally accepted depiction of the Predators. Like you, the Yautja concept is something I grew up with and I hope they keep the core concepts. Long shot, fat chance but I hope they keep those elements.

Ultramorph

I wouldn't worry about Predator culture too much. I doubt we'll see any comics or novel that address things from the Predator perspective any time soon. Maybe a bit in the new comics, but I don't think Dark Horse really wants to do that at this point, given that the major focus in on the Engineers.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Yeah "Prometheus is the beating heart" if I remember.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 18, 2014, 05:32:35 PM
I doubt we'll see any comics or novel that address things from the Predator perspective any time soon.

Ironic considering that's what we maybe getting in the Predator comics according to the Comicvine Podcast interview with Williamson.  :-\

Ultramorph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 19, 2014, 12:02:16 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 18, 2014, 05:32:35 PM
I doubt we'll see any comics or novel that address things from the Predator perspective any time soon.

Ironic considering that's what we maybe getting in the Predator comics according to the Comicvine Podcast interview with Williamson.  :-\

Really? I need to find that. Last thing I saw was an interview with Williamson at a convention where he said that we won't be getting things from the Predator perspective. As has become my tagline: We'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSf4QWlNQKI

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 12:12:01 AM
Really? I need to find that.

http://www.comicvine.com/podcasts/the-invincibly-super-massive-comic-book-podcast-of/1600-243/

Kind of a long Podcast and it's from September or October of 2013. So he might have changed the initial story of what he had in mind but the gist of it was, Predators were going to be putting this old Hunter out to pasture to have this one final hunt.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 12:12:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSf4QWlNQKI

Sounds like he changed the story a bit after all.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Thanks, I'll give it a listen later. This is probably a good example of why they're keeping quiet recently. These stories and such have a tendency to change, sometimes just shortly before release. I don't think they want to potentially talk themselves into any corners. If I remember correctly, they sort of did that with TWW, saying in a letters column that an explanation for why the xenos in that series had mandibles would be a plot point in the series, only for it to never materialize.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 19, 2014, 12:37:08 AM
I don't think they want to potentially talk themselves into any corners. If I remember correctly, they sort of did that with TWW, saying in a letters column that an explanation for why the xenos in that series had mandibles would be a plot point in the series, only for it to never materialize.

Yeah, I remember that too!

We were supposed to get an explanation to why the Xenomorphs had those unusual features and I was looking through Three World War to see if we ever got them.. Never really did. Don't get me wrong... I can read most of the old EU comics and generally not get pissed off but I was shrugging my shoulders and kept on reading.

The art was terrible though.. Mmm.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'd guess that the last old Aliens and AvP were going to go in a certain direction with the Aliens (it is implied the controlled Aliens were always more aggressive than the regular aliens) but then Prometheus came out and I think the DH team realized they could go in an entirely new direction so they just abandoned it.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 19, 2014, 01:24:34 AM
I'd guess that the last old Aliens and AvP were going to go in a certain direction with the Aliens (it is implied the controlled Aliens were always more aggressive than the regular aliens) but then Prometheus came out and I think the DH team realized they could go in an entirely new direction so they just abandoned it.

Which is actually kind of sad when you think about it because I would've liked to see the continuation of where the open ending of Three World War left off from. We saw multiple Queens in close proximity of each other and you had the Killer Predators actually looking them over as if they had contingency plan all along. I would've liked to see where that was gonna go.

Now.. we're not gonna get it. Probably never will get it.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

It is a shame, especially since I've outlined a way to reconcile that particular direction (swap out Super Preds with Killers if you will) with a new one centered around the Engineers. Dark Horse has sort of a bad tendency to just drop things when something doesn't go quite right. Look at Xenogenesis.
It was bad, but dropping all three series for almost ten years? Overkill.

SM

SM

It's simple commerce.  If the title isn't selling - why pursue it?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

That's valid, but arguably they should have just dropped the nonesense elements that were killing the line, IE comic-booky over the top Herk Mondo-esque junk, immature stories, cheap art, etc. Instead of enshrining everything that was wrong with A/v/P comics in the late 90s, they should have taken that opportunity to reboot them in a different direction.

But that was 15 years ago and runs the risk of derailing too far off topic.

Arguably, 2009/10 was a similar failed reboot because it was too tied to 20 year old continuity and the tone just didn't fit the scope of the story they were trying to tell, especially with TWW. If anything needed a darker tone and more sense of grand scale, it was TWW.

Hopefully they get it right this time, because if they don't we'll probably be waiting another few years after the Prometheus sequel for anything more. I'd like more comics between now and, say, 2017.

SM

SM

The reality is Aliens and Predator have limited appeal.  They're not Marvel, DC, Walking Dead or Star Wars.  The chart topping days of the original AvP comics were 25 years ago, and it's probably not incorrect to say the brand was tainted by the shoddy films.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed