Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game

Started by Manchu, Oct 10, 2013, 03:38:58 PM

Author
Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game (Read 386,884 times)

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

^
The runner miniatures they made remind me of a version of the Dog Alien that didnt have the digitigrade legs. :P ADI made a puppet of that one.. it's in one of the making of's.. :P

7:40 over here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRbaQ6iu0bg#noexternalembed

I remember seeing a more "finished" version of that one :P

shadowedge

So Steve Perry is involved, there will be a female Predator, and the EU is canon?!? Count me in! I just pledged.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: shadowedge on Nov 10, 2013, 08:12:11 PM
So Steve Perry is involved, there will be a female Predator, and the EU is canon?!? Count me in! I just pledged.

Two reasons that I'm very sceptic about this game. The third one was just uncalled for (...we don't need another one of those threads).

But seriously, Steve Perry??? :( :( :( ...He freaking sucks! Predator super-hero gods, lackluster human characters adoring the said Predator super-hero gods, and then we have the slobbering "Rottweiler" shooting gallery cannon fodder aliens running around just waiting to be shot at by lackluster humans or totally dominated by the super-hero god-like predators. Good job!

Mr. Domino

You know, SpreadEagle, I don't think a single person on this forum has vacillated quite as often between eloquently explaining why other people shouldn't tell you what is and isn't valid in your own personal viewpoint on the franchise, and abrasively telling everyone that the things they like are obviously garbage.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 10, 2013, 11:39:59 PM
You know, SpreadEagle, I don't think a single person on this forum has vacillated quite as often between eloquently explaining why other people shouldn't tell you what is and isn't valid in your own personal viewpoint on the franchise, and abrasively telling everyone that the things they like are obviously garbage.

Whoa! Where did that come from?

I know that I'm vocal about things (and sometimes sound rather abrasive) but no more than other people on these forums. Don't know why I deserve that stamp when there are people here who are way more frequent way more on it. I guess I rubbed you the wrong way. If that's the case then I'm sorry.

I never forced my view on anyone, I just protest quite loudly when the "Everything is canon" mob run the threads (...yes, I'm childish in that way).

And btw. I'm not the only one around here who thinks that Steve Perry isn't that great and should stay away from Aliens since he has no love for them at all.

[cancerblack]

Mr. Domino

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Nov 10, 2013, 11:57:20 PM

Whoa! Where did that come from?

I know that I'm vocal about things (and sometimes sound rather abrasive) but no more than other people on these forums. Don't know why I deserve that stamp when there are people here who are way more frequent way more on it. I guess I rubbed you the wrong way. If that's the case then I'm sorry.

I never forced my view on anyone, I just protest quite loudly when the "Everything is canon" mob run the threads (...yes, I'm childish in that way).

And btw. I'm not the only one around here who thinks that Steve Perry isn't that great and should stay away from Aliens since he has no love for them at all.

It wasn't meant as quite as much of a slam as I think you took it - there's a lot of people here who are always insensitive and disrespectful of others' opinions, and those people I can just safely disregard - but you, a lot of times, make posts that make me sit up and take note, particularly a lot of your thoughts on Alien 3. Those times, you're well-spoken, eloquent, and generally respectful. You're part of the reason I've come to like that film as much as I have. Conversely, though, any time there's an "everything is canon" thread, or someone mentions Steve Perry, or anything else you're not fond of, you tend to add your input in a somewhat less scholarly manner. I've found it disappointing when it's happened, and decided to make note of it here. Make of that what you will.

As for the new close-up shots of the models, saw those on Facebook a few minutes ago. Very happy with them. I would, of course, be more happy with a more accurate runner, but it's worth remembering that these are 28mm. A little green stuff will go a long way towards making me happy with them so long as I'm not using a magnifying glass. The marine and Predator look outstanding. Here's hoping the helmet on the marine is a separate piece, as I intend to buy multiple squads, and I'd like to have as little clonage as possible.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Mr. Domino link=topic=49242.msg1804661#msg1804661 date
wasn't meant as quite as much of a slam as I think you took it - there's a lot of people here who are always insensitive and disrespectful of others' opinions, and those people I can just safely disregard - but you, a lot of times, make posts that make me sit up and take note, particularly a lot of your thoughts on Alien 3. Those times, you're well-spoken, eloquent, and generally respectful. You're part of the reason I've come to like that film as much as I have. Conversely, though, any time there's an "everything is canon" thread, or someone mentions Steve Perry, or anything else you're not fond of, you tend to add your input in a somewhat less scholarly manner. I've found it disappointing when it's happened, and decided to make note of it here. Make of that what you will.

Ah I see... hmm, sorry to disappoint you. I admit that the "Everything is canon" crew really gets on my nerves and brings out the worst in me and all that. What annoys me even more is that people let them go on and on and on without any 'repercussions', but when I snap back it's all of a sudden too much. Double standard.

QuoteAs for the new close-up shots of the models, saw those on Facebook a few minutes ago. Very happy with them. I would, of course, be more happy with a more accurate runner, but it's worth remembering that these are 28mm. A little green stuff will go a long way towards making me happy with them so long as I'm not using a magnifying glass. The marine and Predator look outstanding. Here's hoping the helmet on the marine is a separate piece, as I intend to buy multiple squads, and I'd like to have as little clonage as possible.

The Marine and Predator models look good, but I don't know about the Alien ones or the female Predator with boobs...

Mr. Domino

Yeah, the chestiness of the fempred is disconcerting, not to mention the lack of attention paid to what they were actually portrayed as in the comics rather than in 13-year-old wet dreams. Still going to get one, mind you, because I'm a completist, but I'll likely be altering it somewhat. Definitely may try and mess with the feet some, make them more human-looking, because then it could pass for a masked Machiko.

sjs41390

I am new to Table Top games but I really want to pick this one up and get into it. I've seen a few comments, but I'm still unsure. Do the figures come like the renders in the blue resin, and I'm responsible for painting them or no?

Mr. Domino

Yep, you'll be responsible for painting and assembly (or rather, you GET to assemble and paint them!) - these minis are like tiny model kits.

As far as what the figures will look like, there are two kinds of shots Prodos has put up - CG renders and actual model shots. The most recent one labelled "Procast" at the top was an actual model shot, to give you an idea of the difference between the two. As an avid wargamer, I can tell you that in terms of sheer technical proficiency, the sculpting on these models compares very favorably to most of what's currently available from other companies.

Now, for painting and such - it's not necessarily for everybody, but it's for a lot more people than think it's for them. I've had a lot of people tell me they don't think they have the patience, or the skill, or their hands are too shaky, or whatever, but take it from a complete stranger on the internet who claims to know what he's talking about - it's all smoke and mirrors. I have very shaky hands, certainly not much skill, and I only started seriously painting about a year ago, so I don't have a ton of experience, and yet this is my most recent Warhammer project:

There's a few very simple techniques you can learn from anyone who knows what they're doing, and/or from online tutorials that can get you going with a bare minimum of trial and error. Of course, as with all things, there's no substitute for experience, but the only way to get that is just to dive in.

[cancerblack]

All I can really make out in that pic is the blue on the Gargs' wings, but it looks great. :)

sjs41390

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 11, 2013, 05:20:39 PM
Yep, you'll be responsible for painting and assembly (or rather, you GET to assemble and paint them!) - these minis are like tiny model kits.

As far as what the figures will look like, there are two kinds of shots Prodos has put up - CG renders and actual model shots. The most recent one labelled "Procast" at the top was an actual model shot, to give you an idea of the difference between the two. As an avid wargamer, I can tell you that in terms of sheer technical proficiency, the sculpting on these models compares very favorably to most of what's currently available from other companies.

Now, for painting and such - it's not necessarily for everybody, but it's for a lot more people than think it's for them. I've had a lot of people tell me they don't think they have the patience, or the skill, or their hands are too shaky, or whatever, but take it from a complete stranger on the internet who claims to know what he's talking about - it's all smoke and mirrors. I have very shaky hands, certainly not much skill, and I only started seriously painting about a year ago, so I don't have a ton of experience, and yet this is my most recent Warhammer project:

There's a few very simple techniques you can learn from anyone who knows what they're doing, and/or from online tutorials that can get you going with a bare minimum of trial and error. Of course, as with all things, there's no substitute for experience, but the only way to get that is just to dive in.

Haha thank you for the detailed response! I think that set you painted looks excellent. I'll have to do some research into the types of paint and brushes to use, but if I'm going to do this, I want to go all in. Sounds like quite a bit of work, but it also sounds like a lot of fun!

[cancerblack]

I might as well post this here, these are some AvP minis I've been working on over the last few years (between disasters). I'm probably never going to finish the project now that this stuff is coming out, so here, enjoy the AvP project that never was:

Spoiler

[close]

Mr. Domino

I think I remember seeing those pics before, Cancer - have you posted them on Dakka? Still look great - The HorrorClix Pred repaints especially, I'd think would work ok as character figs in a Pred army for this game.

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Nov 11, 2013, 05:42:04 PM
All I can really make out in that pic is the blue on the Gargs' wings, but it looks great. :)

Sent you a PM with some better close-up shots. Didn't want to clog up the thread.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed