Deathbearer

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I think he may or may not exist.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 14, 2014, 02:51:21 PM
I think he may or may not exist.

Ain't a whole lot of other ways to look at it...

Sabby

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Disabled comments; not surprising.

Sabby

Sabby

Any Atheists played Black and White 2? It feels odd, but nit unpleasant.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 13, 2014, 01:17:04 PM
Speaking of Satanism, I'm currently reading The Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey. It's a very interesting and engaging book. And before someone flips out and accuses me of worshiping Satan, I'll start by telling you that LaVeyan Satanism, in fact, has nothing to do with that notion.

No, it's just the same ideology as Ayn Rand's Objectivism but worded differently. Extreme egoism and supreme egocentrism, plus some indirect fascism and nihilism.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Actually, there's none of that. The book emphasizes indulgence. If what you're doing brings you mental and physical gratification and doesn't harm anyone in the process, go for it. But facism? I have no idea where you're getting that from. The religion is very hedonistic and doesn't advocate violence. The only violent bit the book describes are the fourth and eleventh Satanic Rules of the Earth:

QuoteIf a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy
QuoteWhen walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

You can interpret that in two ways: with severe physical aggression, or with verbal persuasion. Up to the individual.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 30, 2014, 01:13:49 PM
Actually, there's none of that. The book emphasizes indulgence. If what you're doing brings you mental and physical gratification and doesn't harm anyone in the process, go for it. But facism? I have no idea where you're getting that from. The religion is very hedonistic and doesn't advocate violence. The only violent bit the book describes are the fourth and eleventh Satanic Rules of the Earth:

QuoteIf a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy
QuoteWhen walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

You can interpret that in two ways: with severe physical aggression, or with verbal persuasion. Up to the individual.

Hence the use of the word "indirect". Laveyan Satanism, just like Objectivism, despises or is indifferent to altruism, empathy and weakness, which indirectly leads to nihilism or fascism when on a greater scale. It's the opposite to humanism. On an individual basis it's just feeling good about indulging in extreme egoism and egocentrism without breaking any laws. Taking pride of not being altruistic or giving a rat's ass about the social contract.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It doesn't oppose altruism. It just speaks out against stupidity. Satanism is all for helping those in need, unless it somehow comes at a cost to you and I agree with that to an extent. If helping someone in need means I need to put my actual life on the life and risk losing it under the guise of altruism, well, no thanks.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 30, 2014, 09:53:04 PM
It doesn't oppose altruism. It just speaks out against stupidity. Satanism is all for helping those in need, unless it somehow comes at a cost to you and I agree with that to an extent. If helping someone in need means I need to put my actual life on the life and risk losing it under the guise of altruism, well, no thanks.

That is a very generous interpretation of LaVeyan Satanism. I guess the spectrum is wide within the LaVeyan discipline with plenty of room for both narcissistic sociopaths as well as hesitant philanthropists, but what would be the effect if Satanism was embraced on a larger scale? What kind if society and citizens would that foster? Would there even be society?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'll let you know when I finish the book! I'll say this, it's easily the most controversial religion ever. I told a Catholic friend of mine I was learning and researching it, and boy oh boy, did she ever lose her shit.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 30, 2014, 11:37:28 PM
I'll let you know when I finish the book! I'll say this, it's easily the most controversial religion ever. I told a Catholic friend of mine I was learning and researching it, and boy oh boy, did she ever lose her shit.

I think the major obstacle is that it is named after Satan, so people won't take it seriously or waaay too seriously...

I mean, LaVeyan Satanism are in many ways the same as Objectivism, which is the inspiration for many libertarians on the far right of the spectrum. You only take care of yourself and the ones you want to take care of - everyone else might just as we'll not exist. Screw the social contract.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It was named Satanism just to piss off Christians; no, really. When Anton LaVey worked as an organ player for carnivals in the 60s, he noticed a lot of hypocrisy within the Christian community in the form of married men who weren't above hitting on young girls, would go to church to confess, then be right back at it the very next week. At least, that's a bridged explanation of what's in the book. His feeling was that, and I find myself in agreement with him here, the church in creating the seven deadly sins, effectively demonized the very act of being human. Why is what's considered mentally and physically gratifying, sinful? If it's pleasuring you and you aren't harming anyone, then what's the problem?

The rationale then became if everything good is sinful, then you might as well follow the "evil one": Satan. As Satanism's tag line goes, the devil is the church's best friend. After all, he's kept it in business all these years!

As for objectivism, I'm not too familiar with Ayn Rand's work. I take care of those around me and the ones I care about (did I say that twice?). I will also help out people in need if I can. Hell, I almost had to break up a domestic dispute that was happening across my street this past weekend and it was pretty unnerving.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed